“Had a great time”

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #43 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Was here for a conference - which was conveniently at the convention center next door. The room was bright and comfortable, with a great view. They messed up my check in - by mistaking me for another person, but the front desk work quickly to solve the problem.
The price is quite high, and during peak hours the parking spaces available are quite far from the hotel room.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel is the perfect location in San Diego. You have views of the bay/marina and are in walking distance of the trolley and lots of attractions like the Gaslamp Quarter and Seaport Village. The Hotel is beautiful and staff were eager to please and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed a week in this hotel.
Rooms with balconies in the North Tower have a decent view of bay and downtown
Rooms in the South towers Don't have balconies.
Great pool area. You are right on the waterfront
But bring a LOT of money because Everything at this hotel co$t a lot of money.
Food, beverages etc pretty pricey.
Good beds good views but eat and drink elsewhere.

Room Tip: Get a room in North Tower with a balcony
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We booked this place to try something different and be closer to the Marina. We had a great view of both the marina and the city. The room wasn't really very roomy but the views were great. The staff was very attentive and everybody was friendly. We walked over to our favorite Gaslamp bar that night and it was a very easy walk. The pool area looked great - nice tropical pool - but we did not get the opportunity to use it because we checked out the next morning. This was a great overnight stay and we plan on visiting a little longer next time!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2014

From the minute we walked in, we knew this hotel was special! Everyone from the cleaning service to the reservationist was constantly friendly and helpful. We were thrilled to get a room with a view of the pool and harbor. It was lovely! The pool is so big and a lovely shape & landscaped so well that it felt tropical. Our room was very nice and loved the shampoos, etc. Not typical and felt luxurious! My only complaint at all would be that the drawers were very small and only three! We were just there for a long weekend, but for a week, it would have been a challenge! Also we only had one nightstand although we understood why…a door to the other room prevented a second one. However, in trying to make room for our things this was also limited. Still all in all not a big complaint when you look at the gorgeous views and enjoy the beautiful room! Yes, we would stay here again!

Breakfast (not included in our room) was something to look forward to each day! We thought the menu was pricey and picked the buffet for more for our money. Wow! Best breakfast buffet I've seen in a while! Lots of choices! Our waiter was Jose (think I got that name right), and he was so good and did everything you would expect a good waiter would do.

Went to the concierge several times and Paula was wonderful! She was so patient with all my questions, had everything I needed and gave lots of helpful suggestions! I really enjoyed her - a true professional!

Room Tip: Since its located on the Harbor, its an easy beautiful walk to Seaport Village (about 2 minutes!) fo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I was in town for a conference and was told that the hotel was overbooked. However, the woman who helped me at the front desk (sorry, can't remember her name, but it was on Tuesday afternoon May 6, she had long hair) was really a stand out. She was very apologetic, sent me to another hotel for the night which was comped and provided cab vouchers. She even walked me to the front of the hotel to ask someone to get me a cab. I asked for an upgraded room for the next night and was given one with a bay view and a balcony.

The inside of the room was generic, I could have been at a hotel anywhere. However, the view was amazing, Once on the balcony I notice that the wall had black marks indicating that was where people had stubbed out cigarettes. The people above me also smoked which was annoying and one day when I came back into the room there was a cigarette butt on the floor of the balcony.

The downside of my room was that it overlooked the pool and lounge area. I didn't expect to hear drunk people yelling and cursing at 3 a.m. The second night there was a bit worse as the bar was blasting music, turned it off, but started it up at 11 pm. I would've liked to have left the sliding glass door cracked a bit, but even closed I could still hear the noise.

I was very surprised that there was extremely limited room service, if you could call it that. The hotel operates a small (very small) take out food shop. If you don't feel like going downstairs for the casual food (think pizza and sandwiches) they will bring it to you. It wasn't anything to write home about...neither terrible nor good, just meh. I really expected that there would be a much more extensive menu and actual room service. Being so close to the water I wondered why there wasn't any seafood. Also, I expected the people handling food would be wearing gloves, they weren't and they were touching each other when they were joking around, eww.

I think the best thing about this hotel other than the views was the woman at the desk that helped me. I really wish I could remember her name, she was outstanding.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Exec0410, Executive Assistant at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Thank you for you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate your very candid comments regarding your experience. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced from your arrival to the other details of your stay. I will be reaching out to you under a separate e-mail to learn more about the actual room you were in and possibly to identify the kind Host who assisted you with your initial check-in. We like to recognize our Hosts when they make an impression on our guests. I am delighted that view of the bay from your room was a treat but concerned to hear the other details of your room. Unfortunately there continue to be guests who disregard the no-smoking policy of our hotel.

I have copied our Director of Food and Beverage on your notes regarding our Exchange Good to Go program so that he can follow up on them and conduct a review of the menu and conduct of our Hosts. This year our hotel was selected by our corporate office to participate in a pilot program that reinvents In-Room Dining. We offer a to-go menu from our Exchange Good to Go for pick-up. Guests who wish to have the items delivered to the room pay a small delivery fee and items are delivered quickly to the room. We will continue to review our policy and feedback on this program and appreciate your feedback.

Jeanine Spencer
Executive Assistant

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I just returned from a night at this hotel. It was fantastic and just what I needed after a long work week. The hotel feels like a resort. I was on the 23rd floor and had views of both the water and the city. It was beautiful. The room was clean and comfortable and room service was very prompt and the food was delicious. I was able to walk to Roy's which is attached to the hotel for an amazing dinner on the water. The hotel is a short walk from the Gas Lamp District and next to the harbor area with tons of good restaurants. The staff was friendly and very helpful. One drawback is that you could hear the noise of San Diego, but I'm not sure that any hotel would be any quieter. I actually didn't mind the noise at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business