“Awesome Hotel and Awesome Location”

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #43 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Whakatane, New Zealand
“Awesome Hotel and Awesome Location”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I stayed here and really loved it. We had a room in the South Tower on the 22nd floor. The room was nice and the view was to die for - looked out over the Marina and was beautiful. The location is amazing - easy walk to Gaslamp Quarter, Seaport Village, Midway Museum, many many restaurants and shops. Also the trolley tour picks up from the front of the hotel. Everybody we came in contact with were most helpful.
We would definitely stay here again if we visit San Diego again and would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TwinkD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,369)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
California
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Having just spent a weekend away at this hotel, I must say, we were not disappointed. I've stayed at this hotel on other occasions and the stays have always been more than satisfactory. For those that don't know the area, this hotel is located on the bay, and within walking distance to Seaport Village and the Gaslamp District. The rooms are nicely decorated as you would expect, and they are nicely appointed with, among other things, a small refrigerator, a coffee pot, numerous and conveniently located power sources, an in-room safe, and comfortable beds. This hotel is one of the few in the area that has rooms with balconies. Not all rooms have balconies, mind you, and there is an additional charge associated with such rooms. Like all Marriott properties, the service provided by its staff is great. The only real negatives associated with this hotel are the add-on costs. It is a pet peeve of mine that, after paying a hefty nightly rate, there is an additional charge for in-room internet service. And the parking rate is exorbitant, although most hotels in the area also charge for parking. If you know going in about these costs, you can avoid surprises and make informed choices. I'll stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank luckme0
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed in the South Tower for 2 nights for a business conference last week. It was a very nice stay. The hotel has a super location - within walking distance to Seaport Village, Gaslamp quarter, and the Convention Center. Outside the hotel, there is a very pleasant board walk and 2 parks. Bathroom has a shower (not tub) in my room, and is larger than normal, and has enough counter space to place all your cream, tooth paste, toiletry bag, etc. The hotel room is very clean, conveniently equipped with in room safe and a mini refrigerator, besides the normal furniture in a hotel room. The desk has central plug in place where you can plug in your ipad, iphone, laptop, camera and others. On top of that, there are also 2 plugs in on each night stand. Marriott really has us modern travelers in mind to provide us with all these conveniences, where I found lacking in many other hotels. There is never enough plug in in the room for all of our electronic equipment! And I got free in room internet due to the conference.
There are restaurants, bar, ups store, and many computers to use.
The only thing I can gripe about is the parking. It charges $28 per day for self parking - a bit expensive considering the type of parking available there. Parking is outside with no roof. A few spaces are available with a roof to cover your car, but it takes luck to find them. Parking seems to be hard to find. I had to drive a few rounds to find one, which may due to the fact the hotel was full at that time. Still, I hope they build a parking structure to complete the image of this hotel. That would be perfect for it.
I love this hotel and will come back.

Room Tip: South Tower does not have San Diego bay view. It has the city view only. North Tower mostly will ha...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Exec0410, Executive Assistant at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
I agree that it’s key to have power outlets that are easily accessible for all the devices we carry these days. Thank you for pointing that out. I appreciate your complimentary post and hope that you will return soon. We are an urban hotel and parking is at a premium in this area I have shared your notes about covering the parking areas and alternate options for guests seeking covered parking with our Hotel Manager.

Kind regards,

Jeanine Spencer
Executive Assistant
South Jordan, Utah
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed her for a one night post cruise stay. I am quite sure there are better hotels around but I personally have not stayed in one. Corner room with a two sided view of San Diego and the bay. Sure items are a little pricey and parking is pricey but I really cannot complain. Located right in the heart of downtown San Diego.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the eighth floor of the south tower and it was great.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We are a family of four adults and booker a room which said " for four adults" the hotel charges exorbitantly for car parking. Parking is far from the lifts. No proper service. Except for the fact that it's location is good.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for selecting our hotel for your recent visit to San Diego. I will be reaching out to you
via e-mail for clarification on the room you booked and your candid note about the service you experienced while at our hotel.

Kind regards,

Jeanine Spencer
Executive Assistant
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I wrote these two names down cause these employees definitely deserve an awesome review... And the Oscar goes to... Natasha and Ashley Morris!
Ive been a platinum member on both the Marriott and Hilton chains so I've been around hotels all over the US and this one sure does deserve the time to write a review! Natasha at the front desk was just AWESOME helping me with my hectic reservation schedule as Im going everywhere at the moment. She got me a nice cozy room, just the way I wanted with one stunning sexy view! One of the best services Ive had while checking in! A few days in, I needed to extend my stay and move around my other reservations from my next destination so Ashley Morris did her magic and clicked and typed at warpspeed till she fixed everything up (I heard theres 3 Ashleys working here so I had to write her last name down as well =P and shes cute by the way so look out for her when you check-in!!). The guys in the valet, although Im a dude that doesnt like anyone driving my car or carrying my bags, were super insistive on helping out and thats quality service right there! Now to the hotel, its one of the sexiest places to stay in SoCal. Forget about the hotels in the Gaslamp Quarter, you can easily stumble back to your room from Gaslamp since its close by! Any girl you bring here will be you know... in no time when you take her to this place so take that into consideration if youre doing a getaway couples thing or the occassional one nighter (wink, wink). Its an all around Marriott, fun for the kids with the awesome pool and sorroundings in the bay area and quite sexy for a couples retreat! Wouldnt recommend anywhere else in San Diego! Again, thanx to Natasha and Ashley for their help with my schedule situation!

Room Tip: INSIST in a marina view room!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Monroe, Michigan
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The Hotel staff made our vacation wonderful. Highly recommend morning buffet with Rocky! He's a great Chef. Chris(Concierge) was very helpful and kind. Alex (Valet) stepped in and helped us with a UPS issue. He took the time to help us redirect a package that was lost. Alex you are AWESOME!! The guys on the 24th floor lounge Dominic and Tony were so welcoming and helpful during our stay. They offered tips and sights to see in the area. Cointa did a great job on our room. We were so impressed with the staff that we had to speak to the manager Tiffany about her people. The hotel was spotless. The gym is great and very well maintained. This IS the place to stay when your destination is San Diego!!! Great location and even greater people:) We are returning in the fall and bringing our family. Gas Lamp District is within walking distance. The bay view is beautiful. You can hop on the train and get to little Italy, the zoo, Balboa Park and Old Town easily. We felt very safe walking to the Gas Lamp District and up to tour the USS Midway. We have NEVER had a better experience with the staff of any other hotels. I don't know where they found so many people highly skilled in the lost art of Customer Service!

Room Tip: Bay view with a balcony is wonderful.
Green Features: Well done! Marriott makes every reasonable effort to conserve resources.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple