“Great View and Location, but...”

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #41 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Massachusetts
“Great View and Location, but...”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

First Impression: Crowded lobby with a cloying scent infiltrating the air; no place to sit as the registration line gets longer; helpful and patient staff.

Concierge Lounge: Crowded...kids, kids, kids!

Room: Clean and comfortable; great view of the bay; extremely thin walls.

Food: Decent ($$$); no traditional room service - food brought to room in "Eco-Friendly" bags w/an $8.00 delivery fee! Or use the under-staffed and inefficient cafeteria style Exchange ( waited in line 5+ minutes to purchase 2 bottles of water).

Pool: Lovely. Unfortunately, too many people go early to 'save' seats and then leave. Small area in comparison to the number of rooms and guests.
Bar area is, again, under-staffed and small, given the capacity of the hotel. ( Each evening we were there, we had to clear our own area of dishes and glasses and ask/wait to have them removed.)

Over-All Impression: Cannot believe this is rated a Category 6 Marriott!
For a 'Category 6' experience, stay at the adjacent Hyatt (same great view and location).

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MassachusettsTourist
Exec0410, Front Desk Manager at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
We appreciate that you choose to stay with us during the holiday. We truly appreciate your business and I am truly sorry that your stay was less than perfect. We have recently changed our in room dining experience to provide delicious food at a reasonable price in a quick manner. I am happy to hear that our staff was helpful during your stay. I hope that we have the pleasure of you staying with us again in the future and we appreciate your feedback.

Warmest Regards
Cynthia Hinojosa
Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,348)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I went to have dinner at the Marina Kitchen restaurant before the fireworks this 4th of July, they had a great picnic style buffet and everything was great, but what made it awesome was John (blond dude wearing a suit) and our server Dragan, even though this was a buffet, their service was spectacular. My wife and I had our two daughters with us (2 and 4) and they were a riot, they were constantly at our table asking if everything was ok and if we needed anything. I’m a local and have stayed at this hotel many times before and this is the kind of service that makes you want to spend your money here. Thank you guys!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed here for work, and it did the job. Good restaurant and drinks on-site; nice pool; good business facilities; a clean room and nice staff. Next time, I'll request a room that is not on the side near the train as the bells kept me up at night. Probably not a great room for light sleepers.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the train if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Exec0410, Front Office Manager at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you so much for selecting our hotel! We appreciate the positive comments in your review regarding our staff, facilities and restaurant options.

Kind Regards,

Bianca Cuer
Assistant Front Office Manager
San Tan Valley, AZ
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This hotel is opposite the convention center, and well capable of handling large numbers of guests. It's the largest hotel I've stayed in, consisting of guest accommodations in two towers, for a total room count of around 3,600.
Despite the size, everything is well managed, the restaurants excellent and all the staff very friendly and helpful.
Apart from being opposite the convention center, it overlooks the marina, and is only a stones throw from The Villages, which consists of multiple stores and restaurants.
Would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
New Jerzy, USA
Reviewed 2 July 2014

An awesome venue to stay at. Parking is self park at $28 or valet at $40. Check-in Staff is friendly. Make sure you tell them you're self parking. They enable access to your room key. The Room is nice and upto Marriott standards. Unfortunately you can hear people next to you and in the hallways. The lobby can get very crowded. The concierge lounge for gold member gets really crowded with folks bringing their kids/aunts/uncles etc.
There is a policy that allows ONE other person to enter with the eligible member who has access. Start limiting or charging folks that check in with more than one person in their party. Trying to work up there in the lounge area is impossible with noise. Staff at lounge area, gym, pool were all great. Location is great and walkable to downtown.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
New Jersey
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My family and I are just back from a wonderful vacation is sunny San Diego, CA. Part of what made this vacation so wonderful was out stay at the Sand Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina. First off, this hotel is in a prime location, just minutes (walking distance) from the historic Gaslamp Quarter...close enough to get to the action but far enough to not be bombarded by it. If you're traveling to San Diego for a convention or a ballgame, Marriott Marquis is your best best as both the convention and the ball park are extremely close. If you're vacationing with your family as I was, this hotel is beautifully set on a marina overlooking San Diego Bay. You can walk along the waterfront to shop, restaurants, water activities and maritime museums.

Now on to the hotel itself, which is beautiful and feels luxurious. Upon stepping inside, I was immediately greeted and felt welcome by every staff member I encountered. Check-in was a breeze and Ashley couldn't have been more courteous and helpful by pointing out a few points of San Diego interest. Whatever she didn't suggest, each and every member of the concierge staff were always friendly and extremely eager to help (Thanks Ms. Tina for the great directions!) Our room was clean and comfortable with a great city and bay view. The pool area was superb. I felt like I was in a tropical oasis. There were plenty of available lounge chairs and my children enjoyed splashing around in the pool as well as the shooting fountains.

I have but one regret and that's that I didn't stay longer - and mind you, I extended my stay one extra day because there was so much to do and we were having such a great time. San Diego and the Marriott Marquis have made a believer out of me - It is 'America's Finest City' and I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: There are two towers to choose from, North and South. Since I stayed in the North Tower I can't...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
New York, NY, USA
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I am usually not a fan of huge resort hotels and at 1,360 rooms, the Marriott Marquis & Marina certainly qualifies. But I really enjoyed my two night stay while in town for a conference recently and the Marriott has won me over with its service, location and facilities.

The Marriott has two large towers, North and South overlooking the San Diego bay. The lobby is large, of course, but not overwhelming. I always dread checkin at large hotels because of the potential for impersonal service and long lines, but in this case I experienced neither. Checkin was friendly and there was no line.

There is a Starbucks and other fast options in the lobby for those who don’t the time or expensive of eating in a restaurant. The full service Marina Kitchen serves 3 meals a day—it’s a large restaurant with views overlooking the pool and lots of seating with TVs to view sports games. They have a great buffet breakfast for $19.

My room on the 19th floor was clean, spacious and incredibly bright, given the large picture windows. The climate control worked perfectly—it was quiet and alternated between A/C and heat to keep the room at the desired temperature. There was a small fridge and room safe, along with the usual coffee maker.

My room in the South Tower had a gorgeous view of the bay and Coronado in the distance. The tower is situated so that bayview rooms have a full frontal view of the marina and the bay. The North Tower is a bit slanted so there are more partial views, but they all have balconies whereas the South Towers do not. Reception also told me that the South Tower is a bit newer and so the walls are a bit more insulated—I didn’t hear my neighbors during the entire visit. The South Tower also has the only Executive Lounge in the hotel, on the 24th floor, where breakfast and cocktails are available for those who have access.

A highlight of the hotel were the pool and outdoor bar areas, which were large and beautifully landscaped. There is also a separate kiddie pool and sprinklers on one end. The area was really resort-like with plenty of chairs, a towel station, a number of bar stations and seating areas, and so on. The water was heated to the perfect temperature.

Beyond the pool area is a Roy’s Restaurant, and then the marina and a grassy park that juts into the bay. A waterfront walkway goes past a number of restaurants (many with outdoor seating) and shops, eventually taking you past the Midway carrier and a number of other ships.

Self parking is a steep $28 but was included in my AAA room rate, a big money saver. Maybe because it’s in the city and not a typical resort, the Marriott doesn’t charge a mandatory “resort fee” which made the stay even more economical.

There are three big “resort” hotels on the San Diego waterfront: the Marriott, the Hilton (1,190 rooms) and the Grand Hyatt (1,625 rooms). I visited all three and I preferred the Marriott—it had the nicest pool area by far, and I felt it also had the best overall “feel” as far as the lobby and décor.

The only mar in an otherwise perfect stay was when I went to brunch at the Marina Kitchen (the Executive Lounge is closed on weekends). While I was eating, a family let their 4 or 5 year old child sit in the middle of the restaurant and throw a temper tantrum for several minutes with no attempt to stop or take her outside. This went on for several minutes, making it impossible for other diners to enjoy their meal. Several diners, including me, commented to the waitstaff but they seemed unable or unwilling to do anything. Finally another diner went and talked to the young father, who eventually took his child outside, restoring peace and quiet. It seems to me that the waitstaff could have handled this better, at least calling the manager to take care of the situation.

Otherwise, I had a great stay and would seriously consider bringing my family back for a long weekend.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business