“Top Notch Hotel and Staff”

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #43 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I love San Diego and have stayed at several hotels. This is my first stay at the Marqui and it was superb - from beginning to end. The room and balcony were beautiful and well-equipped. Most important, I was treated like a Queen by every staff person. The reservationist corrected an error made by Marriott corporation. She did so with class! The valet service was perfect! I ordered something from the deli and went to pick up. When I arrived, I saw what I had ordered - which was kind of small for two people. I ask if I could exchange for something else. I wish I could remember his name, but he couldn't do enough to find something perfect for our late night meal. I suppose it's what is expected of a higher level hotel, but I feel they go above and beyond to make guests feel special in this large hotel.

Room Tip: North Tower - balcony higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SanAntonAnn
Exec0410, Executive Assistant at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

On behalf of our Hosts, thank you for you complimentary post of our hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your return visit.

Kind regards,

Jeanine Spencer
Executive Assistant

Write a ReviewReviews (4,085)

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed there for a weekend trip. It was perfectly located and a short walk from our hornblower dinner cruise dock. The room was nice and clean with a balcony overt looking the marina. We are planning a return trip!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2014

When we were planning our trip to SD, I wasn't sure how to choose which part of the city to stay in. We picked here pretty much at random between the 4 Marriotts (we usually stay at Marriotts) in the area figuring we could just drive to other parts of the city. This was definitely the correct choice. The location is perfect. It is right on the marina and a quick stroll to Seaport Village, the Gaslamp, and the ferry over to Coronado. Getting to Coronado or Old Town by car is quick and easy (and getting to the interstate is also close by). The hotel itself is quite nice. It has a large pool -- Though I warn you: SD is cold in April if you are used to hot weather like I am. The pool is heated nicely, but the air is chilly when you get out. There are also bike and surrey rentals at the hotel, but we didn't take advantage of those. There are several restaurants on site, but we didn't try them preferring to walk over to the Gaslamp. We had a room overlooking the Marina and the bridge to Coronado - the view was stunning. My only issue with the hotel was that the concierge lounge was small and it seems like everyone has "status" granting them access to it. It was difficult to find seating before heading out each day and the food area was cramped. Also - and this has nothing to do with the hotel - but I warn you not to take one of the pedicabs from the hotel to the Gaslamp. It is easily walkable and the pedicabs are ridiculously expensive. We took one once thinking it would be fun and a good way to see the historic buildings along the way. It is, but it's not worth the expense.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank yogachick23
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed there July 5th. Only one night . I had 2 rooms on the same floor. 1 for my husband and the other for my 3 adult kids. We both had rooms overlooking the bay. That night we were able to enjoy the fireworks without leaving our room. Ordered room service and it was great!

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 8 July 2014

While my wife summited about sales, I stayed here and toured San Diego for four days, using the Marriott as my base. The hotel is gigantic and in a prime location - big corporate chain lodging, for better or for worse. Trolley is right there, and it's a stone's throw away from the Convention Center and Seaport Village.

Rooms were large, clean and very comfortable with an excellent view of the water and the bridge. Every amenity you could want is there, but you'll pay dearly for them. Fortunately, there's a Ralph's Grocery store within a ten to fifteen minute walk from the hotel.

As lodging goes, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. But in light of their prices, perhaps I'd see what other deals were kicking about at a similarly rated facility.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MKB1701
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This is now the hotel by which I measure all other hotel stays. The location was terrific, the room was huge and very well appointed. The pool area was lovely. I was there for a conference and then stayed on for a few days to explore the area. Wonderful place to stay.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank REAL-EAC-35
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We booked a suite for Fourth of July for a quick Staycation. We did mobile check in stating we would arrive at 1pm. Got there at 1 and our room wasn't ready. No big deal we'll go to the pool and wait for the room to be ready. Get to the pool there are no seats. I ask an attendant how this works and she tells me that all is left is a spot on the grass. So for 600+ I have to sit on the grass with my family of four..awesome. It only went downhill from there. Not enough staff for the restaurant, no room service. The best was paying 40.00 for vAlet then waiting an hour outside for your car. Room was beautiful view couldn't be beat for fireworks. I will add that after complaint I was immediately contacted and reimbursed for valet. All in all... They have a lot of work to do in the customer service area.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Aja S

Dear Aja, I’m very sorry that your stay with us over the 4th of July was marred by the delay in delivering your room and a place to sit by the pool. Thank you for selecting our hotel and allowing us the opportunity to speak with you during your stay. We do have one of the best locations for watching the fireworks and appreciate your candid comments. Your post is being reviewed by our team and shared with Ace Parking so that we can learn and grow from your experience.

Kind regards,