I recently stayed here for four nights on a business trip. There are some great things about this hotel:
-Location - The proximity to downtown, the Airport, the Gaslamp District, the Convention Center, Coronado, etc. can't be beat.
-View - Beautiful.
-Staff - Everyone I interacted with was friendly and helpful.
-Dining - Plenty of options, and everything I had (albeit only a couple of meals) was fine.
There are a couple of things - based on my experience - that keep this from being a "world class" Marriott:
1) The Concierge Lounge - The South Tower Lounge (24th Floor) looks nice, and has a beautiful view. The breakfast was acceptable, but not much better than you would get at a Residence Inn. The espresso machine was broken for the few days I was there; a minor inconvenience, but disappointing that it wasn't deemed important enough by the staff to get it fixed promptly. The late night dessert offering was an embarassment... My colleague and I showed up in the lounge at around 9:20 PM (40 minutes before closing), and the available desserts were twofold: one plate with exactly one and a half peanut butter cookies (I took the one, and it was nothing special) and one plate with about a dozen little 1/4-brownie pieces. That was it. On top of that, the staff was busy rushing around (trying to get ready for closing, I presume), and we felt like we, in turn, were being rushed out of there. I would recommend that this hotel benchmark some other Marriott Concierge Lounges (try the one in Singapore!) to get a feel for what is possible in a lounge such as this.
2) Maintenance at 3 AM. On my final night at the hotel, I awoke at 2:50 AM to the sound of what sounded like drilling through the walls. My room was on the fifth floor (545, South Tower), and it honestly sounded like maintenance crews were drilling (or something similar), possibly on the fourth floor, just below me. I kept hoping it would stop, but by about 3:15 AM I was still hearing the intermittent sound, so I called the front desk to register a complaint. The front desk guest services member I spoke with was apologetic and offered to take care of the problem, but I still heard the noise at least 15 minutes after we spoke. I had to leave early to catch a flight, so I wasn't able to follow up with the hotel, but I was pretty shocked that someone would allow maintenance activity such as this to be performed at 3:00 AM.
I understand that my experiences with the Lounge and with the Maintenance crews may have been a one time, isolated situation, and the issues weren't enough to completely mar the overall experience. It's a very good Marriott, and I would consider staying there again in the future, but it's just not quite up there with the "best of the best".
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stay in style in sunny Southern California at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina. Our hotel in downtown San Diego provides an environment that perfectly suits business and leisure travel. Enjoy luxurious accommodations that come with many helpful and convenient amenities, like a 446-slip marina. The setting here at our San Diego hotel is superb: adjacent to the San Diego Convention Center and steps from the Gaslamp Quarter. We are also near Balboa Park, Seaport Village and LEGOLAND(R) California. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelsClick so you can book your Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina Hotel San Diego
- San Diego Marriott Marquis And Marina
- Marriott San Diego