“A Nice Marriott, but not World Class”

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #42 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I recently stayed here for four nights on a business trip. There are some great things about this hotel:
-Location - The proximity to downtown, the Airport, the Gaslamp District, the Convention Center, Coronado, etc. can't be beat.
-View - Beautiful.
-Staff - Everyone I interacted with was friendly and helpful.
-Dining - Plenty of options, and everything I had (albeit only a couple of meals) was fine.

There are a couple of things - based on my experience - that keep this from being a "world class" Marriott:
1) The Concierge Lounge - The South Tower Lounge (24th Floor) looks nice, and has a beautiful view. The breakfast was acceptable, but not much better than you would get at a Residence Inn. The espresso machine was broken for the few days I was there; a minor inconvenience, but disappointing that it wasn't deemed important enough by the staff to get it fixed promptly. The late night dessert offering was an embarassment... My colleague and I showed up in the lounge at around 9:20 PM (40 minutes before closing), and the available desserts were twofold: one plate with exactly one and a half peanut butter cookies (I took the one, and it was nothing special) and one plate with about a dozen little 1/4-brownie pieces. That was it. On top of that, the staff was busy rushing around (trying to get ready for closing, I presume), and we felt like we, in turn, were being rushed out of there. I would recommend that this hotel benchmark some other Marriott Concierge Lounges (try the one in Singapore!) to get a feel for what is possible in a lounge such as this.
2) Maintenance at 3 AM. On my final night at the hotel, I awoke at 2:50 AM to the sound of what sounded like drilling through the walls. My room was on the fifth floor (545, South Tower), and it honestly sounded like maintenance crews were drilling (or something similar), possibly on the fourth floor, just below me. I kept hoping it would stop, but by about 3:15 AM I was still hearing the intermittent sound, so I called the front desk to register a complaint. The front desk guest services member I spoke with was apologetic and offered to take care of the problem, but I still heard the noise at least 15 minutes after we spoke. I had to leave early to catch a flight, so I wasn't able to follow up with the hotel, but I was pretty shocked that someone would allow maintenance activity such as this to be performed at 3:00 AM.

I understand that my experiences with the Lounge and with the Maintenance crews may have been a one time, isolated situation, and the issues weren't enough to completely mar the overall experience. It's a very good Marriott, and I would consider staying there again in the future, but it's just not quite up there with the "best of the best".

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,021)

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I loved the location of this Marriott hotel, the cleanliness and the friendliness of the staff. I would definitely stay there again. The Marina is has excellent restaurants and little shops to stroll through.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed at a Bay front balcony room for seval nights and I could not have been more pleased with the view or the space of the room. It was a working vacation and I thought the noise levels from the pool below would be a distraction; it wasn't. The sliding door was excellently noise proof.

I enjoyed the amenities although I was pretty disappointed there was no bathtub. Oh well. I guess this hotel really is meant for conventioneers. But the location on the marina is unbeatable nd the hotel is walking distance to whatever you want ( Gaslamp, Seaport Village, marina).

Detriments: Self parking is confusing; there are no signs that direct you and there is nobody to answer our questions. The drinks at the Tequila lounge are superb; the food is not. I ordered a surf n turf and was astonished at what they label meat. I wouldn't serve it to my dog.

Worst is the room service. Avoid it at all costs. I picked up the phone to order a sandwich. The person on the other end said okay and was bout to hang up! I alerted her, asking Don't you want to know which sandwich I want? She finally did and I got my correct sandwich delivered to my room. Little did I realize there was an eight (8) dollar service charge. That sandwich cost me $22. Greed. Pure and simple greed.

The hotel promised there woud be a bill under my door on check out day. There was none. So guess ho had to go downstairs and wait in a hundred person line t the front desk for his bill? You guessed it. Me.

Overall, I would return, if only for the view. I'll ember to not order anything edible from the hotel, lest thy charge me $8 for "convenience."

Note to hotel: there is a limit to what your customers will pay for convenient service. And you dance all over it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Loved it! I was in town for a few days for a conference next door and this hotel was wonderful. The rooms were very comfortable. I had a balcony which looked out over the pool and the marina. The staff was always friendly and helpful. The noise level was almost non-existent. I would definitely stay here again! The location is ideal, with a trolley stop out front for a tour which was so convenient!

Room Tip: I enjoyed looking out over the pool and marina = beautiful!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The rooms were fine and the grounds were quite nice (though seemed a bit small for the number of rooms). However, we found the service to be seriously deficient in some ways, which I'll describe...

When we arrived on a Friday evening, the check-in line was huge, with about two dozen people waiting in line to check in! The clerk said that it had been like that most of the day. They should have recognized that more check-in clerks were very much needed. (Maybe pull one of the two clerks out of the "special member check-in" section, which had no one waiting at all?)

Whenever we tried to drop off our car out front for valet parking, the valets seemed disorganized and confused. A more organized system would improve things.

Our room did not have a spare roll of toilet paper when we checked in. The next day after cleaning, it still did not, and we were nearly out of tissues too. When we ran out of TP and tissues that evening, we called the front desk to send us some more, and they said it would be "right up". A half hour later, when we wanted to go to bed, we found the maid's closet down the hall and got a roll ourselves, then called again to say "never mind" and put out the "do not disturb" sign. Fifteen minutes after that, someone knocked on our door (despite the sign and our second call) to hand us some toilet paper. Not the best situation. Why can't housekeeping manage to do their most important job, keeping the room supplied with toilet paper???

On the plus side, the big buffet breakfast was excellent for the price, and the service there was really excellent every morning.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Exec0410, Executive Assistant at Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

I do really appreciate that you chose our hotel for your recent visit to San Diego. I am truly sorry that you experienced a problem with your room not being properly stocked. I have forwarded this information to our Director of Services so that he can review it with our Housekeeping Team. I value your time and apologize that on this occasion we did not react quicker to your request but also that you had to make the call in the first place. It is my intention to prevent this from happening again to you and our future guests. I was delighted to hear that after all that you were able to enjoy breakfast in Marina Kitchen. I hope that your travels will bring you back to San Diego and our hotel for a stay in the future.

Kind regards,

Jeanine Spencer
Executive Assistant

Reviewed 8 August 2014

The Marriott Marquis is in a great location, and many rooms offer sea views. I would find it ideal for business conferences, as it has all you need for a conference but still gives you somewhat of a vacation feel with the beautiful gardens and pools.

The only downside when we were there is that we went on a family trip over Memorial Day weekend, and it was really, really crowded. It was so busy, we even had some of our stuff stolen, which of course ruined it for us. But (I presume) that's not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Oliver P
Reviewed 8 August 2014

This was our second stay at this hotel. Hotel staff is very friendly and courteous. They appear genuinely happy to work there. We enjoy the location ( seaport village) and the room with a great city view. Pool is gorgeous and tropical and the room was very clean and modern. I would have given 5 stars but we had a very annoying experience with a male barista at the Starbucks located in the hotel. We also got charged twice for overnight parking.. It was a mistake and the hotel corrected it immediately. No fault of theirs.. We exited through a parking gate that charged us the second amount, confusing parking structure..anyway, lovely place. We will be back again but will visit the Starbucks outside of hotel next visit. :)

Room Tip: City view is very pretty. Had a marina view on a different trip also, both are equally pleasing.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family