“Fabulous location and outlook.”

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina
Ranked #41 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Fabulous location and outlook.”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Our 3 night stay was our third visit. We were never short of entertainment with the marina, marine activity, navy, marines, helicopter and ship activity. Pool is superb and adjacent bar very comfortable: a true rest. No shortage of restaurants on the bay shore or gaslamp areas outside, close by. The Subway convention was in the hotel and the amazing volume of people handled well. Cons: parking and restaurant charges were steep.

• Stayed August 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,349)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Irvine, California, Usa
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Our recent weekend stay at this convention -cum-vacation hotel was relaxing and service was excellent. Location in the nheart of the touristy Marina area cannot be beaten and is very suitable for kids of all ages.It is also next to the Convention center, so the occupants are a curious mix of CA-style informal tourists and guys in business attire. A special compliment goes the conciergerie , which is of European level. The pool was very crowded, but there were sufficient and comfortable chaiselongues with good service.Check in took quite long and so did the bell captain service at our departure ( a whopping 30 minutes). Our room on the 25th floor with bayview had a spectacular view from its tiny balcony, but was otherwise quite basic: no shaving mirror or night light, few toilet amenities and only chamomilla tea bags ( which I will use when sick). Breakfast quality was very mediocre and did not meet the choice and quality expected (e.g. no fresh OJ, bread not tasty, narrow choice of meats and cheese, etc.) Finally, the Parking is at USD 45 pd ridiculously expensive.
This is a hotel to be recommended, with some caveats for tourists and not inexpoensive, but superbly located.

Room Tip: ask for the North tower, as high as possible
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Adelaide Hills, Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We were here for four days. The room was excellent. We had a balcony with views over the harbour. The restaurant food was excellent, we ate here every night. The wait staff were very friendly, We will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Was in town on business and stayed here. Wonderful hotel and very friendly staff. The place is beautiful, on the bay, has outstanding views of the city, and good food. Very convenient and walking distance to just about everything downtown. Rooms are very modern and clean. I will definitely stay here again upon returning to the city.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Creekrobber
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Our family LOVES going to the San Diego Marriott Marquis & Marina! As soon as we arrive we look out to the amazing view. Head to Roys for dinner. In the morning we enjoy breakfast at Marina Kitchen followed by a bike ride. Then poolside all day...and the Tequila Bar...mmm those tacos!! Thank you Marriott!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony with a harbor view!
Green Features: Marriott has the best company initiatives in place.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 2LesleyS525
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I recently stayed here for four nights on a business trip. There are some great things about this hotel:
-Location - The proximity to downtown, the Airport, the Gaslamp District, the Convention Center, Coronado, etc. can't be beat.
-View - Beautiful.
-Staff - Everyone I interacted with was friendly and helpful.
-Dining - Plenty of options, and everything I had (albeit only a couple of meals) was fine.

There are a couple of things - based on my experience - that keep this from being a "world class" Marriott:
1) The Concierge Lounge - The South Tower Lounge (24th Floor) looks nice, and has a beautiful view. The breakfast was acceptable, but not much better than you would get at a Residence Inn. The espresso machine was broken for the few days I was there; a minor inconvenience, but disappointing that it wasn't deemed important enough by the staff to get it fixed promptly. The late night dessert offering was an embarassment... My colleague and I showed up in the lounge at around 9:20 PM (40 minutes before closing), and the available desserts were twofold: one plate with exactly one and a half peanut butter cookies (I took the one, and it was nothing special) and one plate with about a dozen little 1/4-brownie pieces. That was it. On top of that, the staff was busy rushing around (trying to get ready for closing, I presume), and we felt like we, in turn, were being rushed out of there. I would recommend that this hotel benchmark some other Marriott Concierge Lounges (try the one in Singapore!) to get a feel for what is possible in a lounge such as this.
2) Maintenance at 3 AM. On my final night at the hotel, I awoke at 2:50 AM to the sound of what sounded like drilling through the walls. My room was on the fifth floor (545, South Tower), and it honestly sounded like maintenance crews were drilling (or something similar), possibly on the fourth floor, just below me. I kept hoping it would stop, but by about 3:15 AM I was still hearing the intermittent sound, so I called the front desk to register a complaint. The front desk guest services member I spoke with was apologetic and offered to take care of the problem, but I still heard the noise at least 15 minutes after we spoke. I had to leave early to catch a flight, so I wasn't able to follow up with the hotel, but I was pretty shocked that someone would allow maintenance activity such as this to be performed at 3:00 AM.

I understand that my experiences with the Lounge and with the Maintenance crews may have been a one time, isolated situation, and the issues weren't enough to completely mar the overall experience. It's a very good Marriott, and I would consider staying there again in the future, but it's just not quite up there with the "best of the best".

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
United States
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I loved the location of this Marriott hotel, the cleanliness and the friendliness of the staff. I would definitely stay there again. The Marina is has excellent restaurants and little shops to stroll through.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple