“Weekend Getaway”

San Diego Marriott Mission Valley
Ranked #114 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

The rooms were nice nothing spectacular. Quaint and comfortable. We were top floor facing west so a nice city view with an ocean breeze. No need for ac with the slider open. Bed was super cozy. Visited the bar in the lobby. Prices were higher than expected. Paid $12 for a glass of wine before I knew there was a happy hour menu (3-6 and 9-11) $5 house wine, beer and appetizers. Staff was very friendly. Hotel is very easy to find and in a great location. Nothing to complain about but hotel was average.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your city view, comfortable beds, and convenient location. Exceptional customer service is our most important goal, so we are thrilled that you found our staff friendly. We also appreciate your honest feedback on your experience at the bar. We strive to make every experience an excellent one, and your comments help direct us toward that goal. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

There are newer reviews for San Diego Marriott Mission Valley

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here for Memorial weekend and had a nice time. The main staff was friendly we were greeted nicely and there were cookies during a certain time of the day with fresh water.
There was a new girl that wasn't working during the weekend and she was not friendly though. The lobby was nice with a small gift shop. The pool area was nice but small. The fitness center was above average for most hotels in what is typically in fitness centers (medicine balls, full weight set, cardio machines, etc.). The rooms were small but nicely decorated. Every room has a balcony and depending on the size the patios came in different sizes. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were down filled. Definitley get the pool side of the building it seems to have better views. The location of the hotel is paramount. We could get onto the highway very quickly and go to Balboa Park, Pacific Beach, La Jolla, etc. very easily. The Fashion Valley shopping center and restaurants are also very close. Defintley get a rental car though, not walker friendly. We had a nice trip and would reccomend this for a nice weekend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for joining us for Memorial Day Weekend! We are very glad to hear that you were welcomed nicely and that you enjoyed our fitness center, comfortable beds, and convenient location. However, we apologize that you did not receive the exceptional service that Marriott is known for from one associate. We will address this to make sure it does not happen again. We always appreciate honest feedback from our guests and we hope to have the pleasure of your return one day soon!

Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

This is my boyfriends and I go-to hotel when we visit San Diego. We've stayed here 3 times and they have all been great. This most recent trip was in May , we drive from Northern California and usually get there way before check in time. We arrived around 1 and they let us check right in. The room is very nice and we love the bed , it is so comfortable! The service is good, we had the privacy sign on our door and as we were walking in the cleaning lady asked if we needed anything. The location is perfect for us only just a 15 minute drive to anywhere we want to go with the mall being minutes away. We will always stay at this Marriott !

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you for your continued loyalty to the Marriott Mission Valley! We are so glad that each of your three visits to our hotel have exceeded your expectations. We particularly appreciate your positive feedback on our staff, as we take great pride in providing excellent service to our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to San Diego!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I just came back from a 3 night, 4 day stay at this wonderful hotel.....we wanted to enjoy some r&r and relax for our 1st wedding anniversary. We stayed here during a busy holiday weekend (Memorial Day) and it was by far the best service we've received at any hotel. We had breakfast at their restaurant and coffee from their coffee bar and drinks from the bar. Check-in was simple and everywhere we went we were congradulated for our anniversary - the pool was beautiful! Two honorable metiones were Jennifer who made our coffee/hot chocolate every morning (so sweet and nice!), and Antonio who served us breakfast....the parking attendants were also very curteous and attentive.I loved the professionalism from their staff whenever i called "at your service" - they knew our room# and name every single time we rang. I would love to stay here again, the view was incredible and the hammocks were so relaxing by the pool. Hotel was beautiful and they made us feel SO special (we received a chocolate and berries plate upon arrival with a sweet personalized card with congradulations of our special weekend!) THANK YOU FOR making our experience so memorable and relaxing!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 17th floor, last room on the floor (nice and quiet) and beautiful pool side view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We are honored that you chose to spend your first wedding anniversary at the Marriott Mission Valley! We are delighted to hear that the service was the best you have received from any hotel. Thank you for your positive feedback on our pool, view, and particularly our staff. We take great pride in our guest services and are thrilled that our associates made you feel at home during your special weekend. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed at the Marriott Mission Valley for 3 nights for a business conference in May 2014, and I really enjoyed my stay at this Marriott.

The Hotel is located directly across the street from the San Diego area Veteran's Administration, and very close to the hotel circle area. It's also a very short drive or 5 exits on the trolly to Old Town. It's also a short walk or drive to the Westfield Mall, also lots of restaurants and shopping.

The property is held to the high Marriott standard, every area looked new, well maintained and clean. The grounds were also well cared for. Parking is located either in a parking structure or around the building in outside parking spots. Parking is $14 per day for self, and $18 per day for valet. There is a gift shop/snack shop, two pay-to-use computer stations, a restaurant, a very nice pool/jacuzzi, and a gym on the property. The gym is not super large, but they have a 4 bike machines, 3 elliptical machines, and 5 treadmills. there is also a dumbell rack and a weight machine. More than enough ways to get a really good sweat going. They also have room WIFI for $13 per day, and fee WIFI in the lobby.

The room was medium size, nicely decorated, very clean and well maintained. The cleaning service was great. The room had a medium size flat screen HD television with lots of cable channels, some HD channels, free HBO, and PPV movies. There was a safe, iron/board, coffee maker, and mini-frig in the room. The bed was extremely comfortable, the pillows were just average, but I'm sure if I had asked for some different ones they would have been provided.

There was good drawer space for two people, but the closet was a little cramped and hard to get in/out of.

The bathroom was medium size with the toilet and shower in one room and the sink outside. The bathroom area again was very clean and well maintained.

Customer service was great, everyone I came into contact with was very professional and extremely nice.

The reason I'm not giving this hotel 5 stars is because of the unnecessary extra charges for parking, WIFI, and for not having a free business center with computers.

I would stay at this hotel again and recommend this hotel to all of my family and friends.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank SNAFU23
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and received the excellent customer service that our guests here come to expect. Thank you for the positive comments on our cleanliness and proximity to other restaurants and shopping. We also appreciate your feedback on our business features and parking, as it serves as a valuable tool in helping us to maintain and improve our guest experience. We are delighted that you will recommend us to your family and friends, and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here several times and each time there was something that was a little off, but not enough to stop me from coming back.

If you have a MILITARY or a FED GOV'T EMP CARD, use it to get a larger discount at time of booking.

I notice on their website they say pets are not allowed; however, when stayed, I called first and they said I could bring my dogs for a nominal fee ($25.00). When I arrived, they waived the pet fee. Now things might have changed since then so I would call first if you plan on bringing Fido, because their website does say "No Pets Allowed."

The hotel offers valet and self-parking. Valet is $22/day and Self-parking is $18/day. Some hotels in the area offer free parking but most charge similar. There is trolley transportation behind the hotel. It is an inexpensive way to get around some of the local attractions without having to drive. Old Town San Diego is nice and a few stops away (fresh tortilla's are a must if you go there). The shopping malls are the first stop I believe, amongst more (see their website for more information).

The lobby is clean and very pretty. They offer a gift store, bar, and dining.

The staff has always been courteous during my stays. When I told them I wanted an additional room for my daughter, who needed a place to get ready before the wedding, they not only gave me a great price, but they also gave her a gift fruit and cheese tray while getting ready for her big day.

The pool and cabanas are wonderful, that is if they are not being serviced at the time (you should call first if you plan on using the pools.). The surrounding areas have tropical plants and the cabanas have nice sofas, loungers, hammocks, tables... all included in the price you pay for your stay. Make sure you get there early enough to get one; it is worth it. When our family stayed for a reunion, it was wonderful. We ordered a pitcher of tea, had snacks, kids swam in the pool, adults relaxed in the cabanas, nice.

The rooms were nice, clean, and comfortable.

Like I said, each time I went there were things that were slightly off, once the pool was out of service, once my room had a noisy air conditioner, once the room was not ready. Whatever the case may be, I will come back (if my dogs can come). If I am without pooches, I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are less noisy. Ask for pool view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott Mission Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for reaching out to us and providing us with valuable feedback from your stay last June. We are thrilled that you received the exceptional customer service that our guests here come to expect. We appreciate the kind words about our room features and hotel aesthetics and certainly welcome the opportunity to host you again in the future!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I just spent four wonderful days here. My room wss spacious, and bed was really comfortable. It is just a short walk to San Diego trolley so you can easily get around even without a car. Food at hotel was expensive but there were a variety of good choices nearby so this wasn't really a problem.

Room Tip: I had room on higher floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! We are thrilled to hear your positive comments on our rooms and beds and we are happy that you found both comfort and convenience during your recent stay. We value your feedback and it is our hope that you consider us when planning your next trip to San Diego!