“Roaches and bug bites”

Mission Valley Resort
Ranked #253 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I recently checked out on Sunday may 11th. We needed a room for the night and had a friend pick a hotel for us. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! We ended up at the mission valley. Check in war bumpy due to a clerk insisting my debit card was prepaid even tho it said debit card right on the front and had a Mastercard logo as well. Then we get to the room. It was not what I was expecting. Old bed linen. Dirty walls and floor. Then we had a TV that didn't work. We called the front desk (after jiggling the phone to make it work). After a hour of waiting and a second phone call stating there was only ONE maintenance worker on site and he's handling more important issues at the moment, a gentleman shows up 5 min after the 2nd call. He fixes the issue and leaves. We proceed to our car to find the so called super busy worker sitting in his vehicle doing nothing smh Guess we interrupted his quiet time. Upon leaving the following morning I woke up with 4 bites on my left leg. I proceeded to the bathroom because I was going to shower before we headed back to Los Angeles. Upon turning the light on I saw 2 roaches scatter across the counter and at that point I was DONE!!!! I grabbed my belongings and couldn't get out of there fast enough. I informed the front desk agent Angelina of the issue of the room and all she offered was an apology and a business card for the manager that I would have to contact on Monday because she wasn't authorized to do anything smh. So I write this coveredin bug bites and awaiting 9th so I can really let the manager know what a horrible experience I had at this hotel. I understand it was a cheap rate but I've stayed at better no name properties in the middle of nowhere and have gotten a better room and service

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank mrswilliams9514
mvrgm, General Manager at Mission Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Reviewed 7 May 2014

As in other reviews, the internet pics look good, but it is a dump!! If I had paid any more than I did, I would have demanded my money back. Even if the pictures on the hotel website showed the real truth, they couldn't "shown" the smell, which was like condensed cigarette ends. The bits of carpet that still had any pile showed impressions of an iron. The whole thing was really distasteful. However, to be fair, I was pleasantly surprised by the coffee maker, and filter coffee supplied. I wouldn't recommend this hotel. If I had the chance again, I would pay another $30, and go to a proper hotel

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David A

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I booked this hotel because I was impressed with the pictures online. When I arrived in the lobby it smelled like a dirty litter box and they had trouble finding my reservation. Upon arriving to the first room the door was open and it would not lock, was givven a different room and this room was filthy, the bedding was dirty the sheets had animal hair on them and the rooms were so small you could hardly turn around in them. Did not stay and was given a full refund through hotwire.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel, I believe the pictures are of a different hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stacey N

Thank you for your comments. The Staff and Management of the Mission Valley Resort are working hard to make an impact on the quality and condition of our guest rooms. We are continuously updating rooms daily. We know that we are an older property, but make up for those challenges with a great staff, clean rooms and great prices. Give us another chance to make a better impression.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Look at the photos we took! This was not a budget priced hotel. We chose it because of the previous reviews and internet pics of the motel. The lobby looked ok. The room was a filthy dump. Very dissapointed in this motel. The management and owner should be ashamed. Had booked 5 nights, stayed just one. Hope to God the sheets were washed. Want to pass the word on. Don't waste your money. I am from San Diego originally. A native. They took our money for one night. They should be ashamed.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mtngrlify .

Reviewed 24 April 2014

The accommodations are very basic. The front desk and bar staff are very friendly. The location is close to Qualcomm Stadium, also not far from Downtown and Sea World. It is close to the freeway which you will hear throughout the night.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank alesjh

Thank you for your comments. We know that we are an older property, but make up for those challenges with a great staff, clean rooms and great prices. I'm glad that you had the same idea when it comes to expectation.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Because we stay in a hotel 3 nights a week, we are always looking for a change of pace. Boy, did we find it. This place, while it looks wonderful from the outside, all tropical plants, sparkling pool, big shady trees ..... it is a pit. Our first room wasn't even vacuumed, the remote for the TV was missing, so I picked up the phone to call the front desk, and the phone wasn't working either. We were given a new room without incident. We did, however go back to the first room and took the coffee maker and the pillows, just to try to make our new room comfortable. Spend the extra bucks and go somewhere else. We will not stay here again.

Room Tip: My tip for choosing a good room? Get a different hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cher L

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Mission Valley Resort is a great place to stay when in San Diego.
The Resort has a fantastic pool area with hot tub, the grounds are nice.
There is a restaurant, bar and convenience store on premises.
There also is a Gym and guest laundry.
The location is very good to go to beaches, Little Italy, Gaslamp, anywhere.
The Hotel is a great value!
The staff are very friendly and helpful.
The bartender was great, Rene.
The Hotel Manager Mr. Hensley goes over and above to make sure you have a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: Superior Room by the pool is nice.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank vegasyo11

Thank you for your honest review of the Mission Valley Resort. You are correct, we have all the amenities of a full service hotel and great pricing. The Staff and Management take great pride in delivering memorable service.

Best Regards,