“best secret !”

Ranked #243 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Old Forge, Pennsylvania
“best secret !”
Reviewed 23 August 2010

the hotel was located in great area ! WE CAME TO GO TO LEGO LAND ! We were a 20 min drive from here 10 mins from airport .has 2 pools resturant on prem.(good food) conveint store (prices good) .
we saw bad reviews after we booked and were scared to death but after we got here and checked in we are thrilled we were here....... It is not a 5 star hotel but for a budget family trip it had every thing we needed !

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Turkish first
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 20 August 2010

I booked the room becouse my sister was having her wedding there and everone was staying there i got to my first room carpet riped and stained all over room smelt like mold ,the second room smelled horible (smokers in it for years) walls all marked up ,3rd room i just settled on only problems of that one were the doors fell of from time to time and i just put up with it for my sisters sake . one of the worst hotels i ever stayed in

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank zman01
mvrgm1234, General Manager at Mission Valley Resort, responded to this review, 16 December 2010
Thank you for your comments. The hotel is currently replacing carpet throughout the property. We are currently 80% complete. The Management and Staff take pride in the cleanliness and warm guest service we provide. We look forward to changing your opinion of the Mission Valley Resort on you next visit. - General Manager
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 15 August 2010

I chose this hotel because it is called a RESORT, but very disappointed the minute I stepped into the front desk. I didn't realize that I was given a cigarette smelt room, despite of asking for non-smoking room. We had a 9 hour trip so all we wanted was to sleep and we would be gone the whole day the next day anyway. I had a bug bite on my arm after waking up, no TV and no alarm clock in the room. No big towels. We paid so much for this hotel as well, and I would not expect too much if I paid less. Furthermore, the 2nd day we came back to the room and the bed was not made, no new BIG towels and no new shampoos. I think that either they are under-staffed or saving money, but service is compromised. The only good thing was, there were plenty of parking.
I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone.

Very unsatisfied customer,
San Fransisco,CA

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
wirral
Reviewed 11 August 2010

My Husband and I stayed at the Mission Valley at the end of june this year. We booked it 3 weeks prior to going as we had just found out I was pregnant with our first child and we needed a holiday before the baby arrives. Apparently they suffer (JUNE GLOOM) obviously throughout june, however only 2 out of our 11 days was over cast, the rest was beautiful and very warm no complaints there, we found this hotel to be really pleasant, the pool and jacuzzi where both lovely (very quiet) and clean, our room was comfortable with a large bed ,tv,phone,bathroom all that you need really its not the hilton but I am not a hilton type of person I like a relaxed clean hotel with friendly staff. We had a few drinks most nights in the hotel bar before we headed off to bed, the bar staff were great, very motivated, and friendly. We did so much on our holiday Sea world (amazing) returned there 2 more times, San Diego zoo, USS Midway, Seaport Village, Old Town, Point Loma, the list is long. This type of holiday was very different to our usual yearly visit to the Caribbean we were on the go all of the time I did get a bit tired with being pregnant but I was not going to the caribbean and risking the food etc!! I think San Diego is a beautiful city but you will need another holiday to get over all the site seeing and flights.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We checked into the Mission Valley Resort and had booked this on-line for 5 nights. Just before we left, I had checked out some other travel reviews and was very nervous once reading many of them. However, I kept an open mind and we arrived on the 17th. Prior to leaving, I had called our travel agent and she had called the resort. They promised her that they would give us one of their "softly renovated rooms." When we arrived, we were told that we were poolside, so we headed to our room to check it out. When we opened the door and took a look around, we were SO disappointed! Softly renovated meant that the furniture had dints and gouges out of it, the walls had been painted over gouges and pieces of it missing, the electrical sockets weren't even attached to the wall, the bathroom was old, and the tub dingy. The bath mats were gray each day and twice we had "fresh" towels put in our bathroom that had hair on them---not ours! The bathroom tiles had pieces missing out of them, and had been painted over to cover all of the chip marks----not even in matching paint. The air conditioner worked, but didn't keep the room at an even temperature. The one-pane sliding windows had no screen-----everything but the toilet was old! You could hear our neighbours through the walls at all times of the evening/night. The door had no weather stripping on it at all, didn't close properly and as a result you could hear everything that was going on outside. The chair looked like something that most people would have thrown out! We were disappointed enough to be willing to lose our money that had been paid early in the spring and move to another hotel, but unfortunately, didn't find one available for the time we needed----most were booked. We will NEVER stay here again!! It was a great location for getting to all the tourist sights, however, there are many other hotels on that same street that would be much better and more comfortable. Very disappointing!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Disappointed12345
Shadyside, Ohio
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Made our reservations online, saw pictures of what to be a very nice place! It was going to be over $200.00 a night so we figured it must be a decent place. What a load of hooey! We went to the reservation desk and checked in, drove to our room, walked up the sidewalk and immediately saw dirty walls and a dirty door. Opened up the door and again immediately saw a filthy chair. The room reeked of mold, the windows were opened to mask this I assume, and the bedspreads and carpet were filthy! The bathroom was peeling paint and had a dirty tub. Not 10 minutes later we checked out. The word "resort" should never be used with this place as it is a motel dump! Luckily, we called the Hampton Inn up the road and they had a nice clean room for us. After telling them our problems they even gave us a cut on their price of $300 for weekends (ComicCon was happening that weekend). They were so nice to us and had free breakfast every morning!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mingmama
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 July 2010

I booked this 'hotel' while on holiday in LA this year. I had read the reviews and as there were mixed reviews I thought it probably was just because people were too choosy....I was wrong. This place is a dump. I had booked originally for 2 nights but cancelled the second night as soon as we got there.
We were supposed to have a 'superior' room. We were given room 805, which was substandard at best. The room was smelly, it was dirty and the bathroom was disgusting. I picked up the phone to call reception and the inside of the handset was black with dirt. I could not hold the phone so I hung up while the guy said he would check if there were other rooms available. I got to the reception before he did anything. We were given a 'newly decorated room' according to the reception.....not.
The second room was a bit bigger but the same old and tired décor. The beds were uncomfortable and creaked every time you moved, so none of us got much sleep. My sons went for a swim and said the pool was ok but while they were in the jacuzzi some people came alone with drink (which is I think the third pool they refer to on their website). If you don't mind you children being subjected to that this is the place for you!
Myself and my wife decided the only way to stay in this dump would be slightly numbed with a few drinks. In the list of facilities it indicates there is a sports bar, so we went to have a few drinks and a game of pool. The bar was full of local people having a pool tournament, so I ask you can the hotel honestly say that this is a guest facility if guests are not able to get access.
I complained to a manager about the supposed-to-be-hotel, I needed to get it off my chest. The lady said she would follow it up and call me in the next day........that did not happen.
The next night we checked into the Porto Vista....I would recommend staying there.
The bottom line is never ever stay at the Mission Valley Resort, sleeping in your car would be a better option.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family