“Horrible place to stay, but rather nice staff”

Motel 6 San Diego Hotel Circle- Mission Valley
Ranked #216 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Oslo, Norway
“Horrible place to stay, but rather nice staff”
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Beeing foreigners we arrived in San Diego unprepared for the labour day weekend meaning that there was no reasonable prices to be had in this town. The staff at the frontdesk was nice and helpful but that's probably the only good thing to say here. The room was small, outdated and not too clean. There was a smell of urine/chloride from the bathroom that was horrible. And due to the busy weekend it was quite expensive too. Have stayed at other Motel 6 in the U.S. but this is the worst one by far. There's plenty of other places to stay in San Diego, so my advice is go find them instead of staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hilde B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

Smelly dirty rooms with blood spot stains on the mattress and mattress pads. Didn't stay after seeing that and the condition of the room. The manager refunded us our money without any problems thankfully!

1 Thank Ashlalee

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

We were very pleased with Alicia, she worked front desk and was very helpful. Not only did she refer us to a few places to eat, she gave us a room that might give us a view to see our truck (semi to be exact) even calling us to see how we liked the room and if we could see the truck. Thanks Alicia, you did a great job, keep smiling. Back to the room, very simple, outdated and definitely in need if some renovation. Time for some new comforters, tv's, towels, and let's face it, a whole new makeover. Room seemed okay clean but could always be cleaner. Also a breakfast option would be nice, everyone else is doing it, again let's try and get with the times. Great service, shabby outdated rooms, reasonable rates, that's motel 6 for ya!

1 Thank catmoore1968
Oakland, California
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I attend an annual event next door at the Crowne Plaza every August, and many people stay at the Motel 6 because it's a LOT more affordable. My hotel roommates at the Crowne Plaza decided to leave on Sunday, and this is my second time rolling my stuff over to the Motel 6 for the final night of my trip. Unfortunately, it was just as dingy and depressing as ever. I was afraid to walk barefoot on the carpet, or in the bathroom for that matter. I have heard rumours of bedbugs, so I lifted up the fitted sheet to inspect the mattress and was horrified at all the stains on there. I'm quite sure this mattress has been there since the dawn of the hotel. I was so paranoid that I didn't sleep well at all, and this was exacerbated by my being woken up at about 7am by the toilet starting to gurgle and sounding like it was about to explode, followed by a really foul smell. I reported this to the front desk person upon checkout, and she was very apologetic. The only reason I am giving the Motel 6 two stars instead of one is because the front desk staff were SO nice.

Finally, when I returned home I received an e-mail from Motel 6 asking me to fill out a survey about my stay. I relayed everything I am stating here, and also added that I REALLY hope they consider remodeling and upgrading this location, like they've done to many others (see: Motel 6 Santa Barbara. REALLY nice with European/IKEA style decor!). I would definitely look into the many other options at Hotel Circle before choosing this Motel 6.

Room Tip: Supposedly the Tower Rooms are a *bit* nicer from what friends have said....
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank glam72
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I didn't know about the corporate policy of no shampoo, no coffee maker, no iron, no anything. I was carless for my trip and stuck on the property. I forgot my shampoo. Went to the front desk, no shampoo. "We do not provide Shampoo". And they had none. He was at least helpful in mentioning the one place walkable nearby had a gift shop, the Crowne Plaza next door. Walked unshowered in flip flops up an overgrown stairs to next door. Went to the gift shop. Lots of stuff, no shampoo. As I happened to be attending a convention next door he actually went above and beyond and got me some. But really, how much could shampoo cost,, at least to have it as an add on when guests need it?
$2.99 extra a night for internet too. The thing is, this location was going for 60 to 100 dollars per night changing each night during my stay. For a hundred bucks a night I have to rely on the kindness of the staff at the hotel next door.
I want to be clear, the staff I dealt with were friendly and helpful as much as possible. This is a corporate problem.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Avidacer
San Juan Capistrano, California
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Currently staying here at motel 6 San Diego hotel circle. The location is fantastic close to San Diego, beaches and sea world. The room we had was not in the best condition. The bed was horrible and has a busted spring right in the middle of the bed also the blankets had some stains on it. I asked the front desk for another room and they said all beds are the same hmmmm OK. The rest of the room was clean except the shower had some dirty spots. Oh well you get what you pay for.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 July 2012

It was a ruined vacation for my family for lots of reasons: PLEASE TAKE TIME TO READ BEFORE YOU GO TO THIS MOTEL 6

1. Check in Time is NOT RELIABLE- I made a reservation for 2 nights..we came at 2:30pm and their check in time is 3pm...it's ok to wait for 30 mins since we were early from the check in time...so we waited in the parking lot...it was @ 4pm when they got the room ready...waited for an HOUR!!!just to get it ready!!!

2. It IS TRUE WHAT OTHERS HAS WROTE: Rooms are smelly - smells like dead cockroaches, we chose to have the NON SMOKING ROOM but the bed sheets smelled like cigarettes....very thin pillows....was not able to sleep good @ night coz u can hear the people walking on the next level...

3. BLACK OUTS - The room doesnt have its own hair dryer... i brought my own ...BUT the PROBLEM is EVERY TIME I would use my hair dryer...The POWER would SHUT OFF!!!!

4. CAR'S DRIVER SIDE WINDOW WAS BROKEN - We parked at d lower level of the tower of motel 6..and @ 10am when my husband checked our car..the window was intentionally broken..@ first we thought nothing was missing..then we found out that his inexpensive($10) sun glasses was missing!!!! so RIDICULOUS !!!!! Talked to the front desk people bout their security...they said they dont have security cameras in that parking lot, and they DONT HAVE a PERSON EVERY NIGHT TO CHECK AROUND..

If there is only one good thing I can say about this motel 6 is that the front desk staff with a short curly hair is kind..same with the check out staff personnel i've talked to..

Room Tip: Don't even bother to book in this motel 6...it's ok to pay a lil' bit more...and get a c...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family