“If you like Ocean views...”
Review of Ocean Park Inn

Ocean Park Inn
Ranked #31 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Boston, Massachusetts
“If you like Ocean views...”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

For the cost of staying here the actual room is not spectacular (its about 3 star), but the view and location makes up the value. If you highly value listening to the ocean at night and a peaceful view from the balcony, this place is for you. My wife and I stayed here for three nights and justified the higher cost to stay right in front of the beach. Complimentary breakfast was decent enough we didn't feel the need to go out in the morning for food, and the staff was extremely friendly. We went in Mid April, so while the weather was 60-72 on average it wasn't blazing hot. It was nice that no one was by the pool or hot tub so we had it to ourselves one afternoon.Id recommend staying here if you're going to be staying in Pacific beach.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor with Ocean view. It is worth the extra money
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Bob F
Mat R, Front Office Manager at Ocean Park Inn, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thanks for the great review Bob! You’ll be happy to know that there are plans in the works to finish upgrading all of our guestrooms with brand new furniture in the coming year. This is, of course, after we just finished our very popular new bathrooms. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and we look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

We had an amazing time at Ocean Park Inn. The staff was super friendly and helpful to any request and provided great options for fun things to do. My husband and I travelled with an 11 year old. My son had a blast and also said this was one of his favorite spots!

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Jdeford
Thanks for the great feedback! We really appreciate it and we are glad to hear that the whole family enjoyed their time at the Ocean Park Inn. Thank you for the kind words about our staff and we hope to see you back again soon.
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My daughter and I booked on Friday night and drove to OPI the next day. We were pleasantly surprised to have a ground floor, next to the pool, beachfront room. We're originally from Florida and this type of room would have cost 4x the price we paid.
The restaurants, the shopping and of course the beach! OPI staff were friendly and helpful. The property was really clean and convenient.
We will always stay with OPI when possible.
Thanks guys :)

Room Tip: I really enjoyed the ability to just walk right out to the beach. Bottom floor is the best. You can...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Mel, thank you for taking the time to provide us with some great feedback. We are very glad to hear you had an enjoyable experience with us at the Ocean Park Inn. Be sure to sign up for our newsletter to be the first to receive special deals and discounts for your future stays.
Glendale, Arizona
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My daughter won a charity silent auction for 2 nights at the Ocean Park Inn, and she gave it to me as a Christmas present. The guy at the counter was very personable, and check-in went smoothly. Parking is underground with elevators that took us to the 3rd floor. The room was modern, immaculate, and had a great view of the boardwalk and ocean. The included breakfast was good, especially the waffles. I was impressed by the friendliness of the staff....lobby, maids, breakfast assistant etc. The location is certainly the best in the Ocean Beach area. Great restaurants along the beach. If you have the $, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the west facing side. The view was perfect.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for the awesome feedback, and for participating in the charity event! We are glad you were able to come spend some time with us in Pacific Beach. Thank you for highlighting the many amenities we offer, and we hope to see you back soon.
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We returned to Pacific Beach for another Spring Break. This time I wanted to try the Ocean Park Inn which is a few blocks down where we stayed in the past. The OPI is all about the Location! Location, location, location... Right on the boardwalk, steps from the beach, eateries, coffee hangouts, the pier, and all things great about Pacific Beach! I didn't mind paying the additional daily charge of $10 for their gated underground parking.

The hallways smelled clean and not musty. The rooms and bedding were fresh and clean. I wasn't as happy with our "partial ocean" view as our balcony overlooked the motel bedrooms below and we could see in and hear them, so it felt awkward being on the balcony so we didn't. Therefore paying more for this "partial ocean" was a bust. When we stayed at the Blue Sea Beach Hotel, our "partial ocean" view patio was right at pool level facing the Ocean!

The free WiFi and free breakfast was fine. I thought the jacuzzi was a little small in comparison to others.

I would have almost given the OPI a 5 Rating except departing left a bad taste. Upon departing, when packing up our things we realized we left something at the beach & went go get it. Check out time is 11:00am and my daughter and I were returning to the hotel and our Key Card would not let us enter the building from the boardwalk. So we had to go around to get in to get to our room to get our bags so we could check out. Good thing my young son stayed back, so he let us in the room and then the phone rings to remind us that check out is at 11:00am. I told the caller we are on our way down to check out... it was only 11:15am!

Great Location. Rate was high for a view looking into the next door motel room. I'm not sure if we'll be returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to give us some feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us in Pacific Beach. Thank you for highlighting the value in our location as well as some of the amenities we offer.

We do apologize for your less than pleasant check out. All room keys stop working at 11am as a security measure for our guests. We are more than happy to offer later checkouts upon request.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We travel as a family to SoCal at least once a year, and I like to stay on the beach in San Diego when we're there. It was a bit last minute and my first two choices I'd liked in the past were booked, so I tried the Ocean Park Inn. I booked an oceanfront room for three nights. We checked in fairly late, and I was pleased with the secure garage parking and the size of the room.

However, when we began to get ready for bed, my husband pulled back the covers and we found that the sheets (of the perfectly made bed) were dirty. And I mean dirty as in menstrual blood smears and hair.

Honestly, if it hadn't been so late and we'd already unpacked into the room, I probably would have checked out, and my husband still wanted to. But I called down and explained to the front desk and asked for new sheets. Meanwhile we checked the other bed, which was fine. The clerk was very apologetic and helped us take the sheets off (had left them on to show him), we changed the bedding and we crashed for an uneasy night.

The next day we were able to appreciate the view and location, had breakfast (typical waffles, bagels, cereal etc), used the pool and went to the beach. The manager spoke to me when I went to the front desk, apologized again and said he'd discounted our rate for that night.

We ended up leaving a day early since the initial impression from the dirty bed was hard to shake and it was really a shame as the rest of our stay was good. However, when I'm paying close to $400 per night, I'd like to have a positive experience, and unfortunately that wasn't the case. A shame.

Room Tip: Beachfront is really nice, but pool view would have been good too.
Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Devon R
Mat R, Front Office Manager at Ocean Park Inn, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback, Devon.

From the entire staff here at the OPI, we apologize again for the freak issue you encountered while staying with us. Cleanliness is one of our fortes here, and it is often a quality of our property that adds to our extensive returning-customer fan base. That being said, new seasonal housekeepers are no excuse for this mistake. Not only is it unacceptable for travelers like yourself, it is also unacceptable by our standards. Upon hearing of this issue, immediate action was taken with the staff member that had readied your room.

It's unfortunate you were not able to fully enjoy the rest of your stay. I urge you to consider us again for your future stays in Pacific Beach, as you will not find more value in the area. I would also ask you to contact me directly for your next reservation.

We hope the rest of your time in San Diego was enjoyable!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 April 2014

As a small business in San Diego, we often have clients or affiliates located in the Midwest who are more than eager to make the trip out to California to visit our offices. Recently, we had a new and very important partnership contact coming out, and we wanted to choose a great place for him and his wife to stay. We started looking into beachfront properties in locations that provided entertainment within walking distance, so that while we took up all of our contact’s time, his wife would be able to enjoy a quick vacation. We came across the Ocean Park Inn and immediately fell in love with the view and location. We called in to inquire about rates and booking a reservation, and spoke to Matt. He was incredibly helpful and informative throughout the process, and got us set up with the perfect room to WOW our new business associate. Anytime you’re booking a room for someone else it can be a bit of a hassle, but Matt made the process easy and quick.

The best part? Our expectations for the hotel delivered—and then some! Our business contact had an amazing time, and could not believe we put him up in such a nice hotel. His wife had a wonderful time exploring Pacific Beach while he was in our offices, so the location could not have been better. The front desk even helped them choose great places to eat and a dolphin-watching excursion during their stay. His check-in and out process was smooth, so there were no awkward conversations regarding payment. After seeing photos of the view from his balcony, even our office of native San Diegans were instantly jealous! There are definitely going to be a few staycations in the works.

You cannot beat the location or the service, and we’ll be happy to refer all of our visiting clients to the Ocean Park Inn. Thanks Matt and team for helping us to solidify a great partnership for our business. From one small business to another: GREAT JOB!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank S R
Mat R, Front Office Manager at Ocean Park Inn, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
We're so happy to hear your business partner enjoyed his stay! Thank you for all the wonderful compliments, you were all a pleasure to work with. I look forward to assisting you with more reservations soon!