“Location, Location, Location”
Review of Ocean Park Inn

Ocean Park Inn
Ranked #32 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 11 August 2006

We were on a budget honeymoon, and this was a great place to stay. The youthful staff was kind enough to give us an ocean-front room at an affordable price. The massage school is walking distance for half price massage, too. Grab your bikes and you'll be relieved of your car as long as you're there! You'll find yourself just steps from the picturesque ocean, pier, and nearby restaurants (Kafe Yen is the best!), bars, and shops. This is not the place for you if you want luxury, but if you want to be in the center of Pacific Beach, for less than a fortune, it's fabulous!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
7  Thank saades
There are newer reviews for Ocean Park Inn

Reviewed 8 August 2006

1. Front desk crew courteous but very young.
2. Continental breakfast is OK. At times you had difficulty getting a table mid morning.
3. Exterior of hotel needs painting and maintenance.
4. Air conditioner in room is weak.
5. This is not a Marriott or Starwoods hotel.
6. Location to beach is very nice.
7. Parking in garage is very tight. I damaged my right side driver mirror trying to park our Yukon XL last night. The parking garage is setup for compact cars. Not everyone drives a compact car.
8. Hotel maintenance staff is very courteouse and responsive. It is my guess that hotel ownership is tight with capital dollars for improvements if they can fill the hotel without too much trouble at the rates they charge.
9. The empty building across from the hotel should be torn down. It detracts from the area.
10. The fire department is one (1) building over. This is good if you have a fire and from a security perspective but bad if they are out on calls and sound the sirens.
11. Only saw a few street people. The SD PD made two (2) arrests of street people when we were there. They were very proactive in this area.
12. The location of the SD Life Guard station is very positive. The beach are by the hotel is monitored heavily. The life guard staff on the beach were very proactive on currents in the ocean.
13. The beach needs to cleaned daily from the seaweed.
14. We walked 3 miles up and down the beach and most of the folks seemed to be tourists that were on the beach.
15. You have many restaurant options within walking distance.
16. Hotel has onsite security in the evenings and after hours.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank Transolinc
Reviewed 24 July 2006

I just returned from a stay at the Ocean Park Inn from Friday, July 21, to today, and I cannot wait to go back. In fact, I have booked a reservation in December. This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel, and I just love it. First of all, the hotel overlooks the ocean. You are ON the beach. Some people have complained about accommodations and service at this hotel, and granted, it is NOT the Ritz Carlton. I found the staff to be hard-working, and at times, over-worked, but friendly. I've also found that if you are nice, patient and friendly with people; they are likewise with you.

We arrived in San Diego on Friday around 12:30 PM. Our room at the Ocean Park Inn was not yet ready, as they had 100 percent occupancy, and had to get the rooms cleaned for check-ins. Check-in time is 3 PM. My boyfriend and I parked our rental car in the OPI lot, and walked around the beach and went to lunch. When we checked back at 2:30 PM, our room was ready. I had booked a king, partial ocean view room on Expedia. This room was facing the pool, and beyond that, the ocean. Basically, it was an ocean front room without the ocean-front price!!!! We were thrilled!!!!

This hotel is in such a great location that you don't really need a car. Unless you are going to SeaWorld or exploring San Diego, there is everything within walking distance to the hotel. My boyfriend and I walked so much that our legs and feet are sore!!! Across the street is a Ralph's grocery store; Starbucks; UNO restaurant (best pizza in town! great place!); Sketchers; Long's Drug Store; Jack in the Box; Wells Fargo ATM; 7-11. Down the street a bit is Rubio's and LaSalsa for fresh Mexican food, Taco Bell and Burger King. Next to the hotel is Taylor's Restaurant (which is good, but not great); Joe's Crab Shack (also good); and lots more of everything. For live music, try Blind Melon's (now 710 Ocean Avenue or something like that ) at the pier (two blocks away). They feature different music nightly, all of it good. For nightlife information, get a free San Diego READER magazine.

For t-shirt or other beachwear shopping, try the beach front shops about 4 blocks south of the hotel. They have the BEST prices on sunglasses, postcards, t-shirts, hats, swimwear, etc. WAVE is a little pricey; try the unnamed "mom and pop" shops just past the Best Western and Surfer hotels.

The OPI also offers a free continental breakfast, with cereals, fruit, bagels, sweet rolls, a variety of juices and coffee. Parking is now $7.00 per night, in a secured, underground garage. There is a microwave, refrigerator, in-room safe, hair dryer, coffee maker, iron and ironing board in each room. The beds are comfortable, and the rooms are clean.

I much prefer OPI over the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge, because it is smaller and cleaner, and it caters more to families and couples than wild party people. I was very glad to be staying at the OPI instead of the Surfer Hotel, Blue Sea Lodge or other adjacent hotels, because the beach this past weekend was like Spring Break. Lots of wild, noisy, drunk 20-somethings...but none of them appeared to be staying at Ocean Park Inn.

I also much prefer Pacific Beach to Ocean Beach. Ocean Beach is in an older, lower-income section of town, and I just did not feel safe in that area in general. While Pacific Beach has its share of homeless people, they tend to mind their own business. I felt quite safe walking at any time of the day or night on Pacific Beach, and there always seems to be people walking around, regardless of the hour.

We will be back...

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
11  Thank ltp_tango
Reviewed 10 July 2006

I have stayed at this hotel several times, alone, with family, and with friends, and have mixed feelings. First of all the rooms are much prettier than the Blue Seas down the street but I wouldn't say the beds are more comfortable. It took me about 30 minutes just to find the closet behing the mirror. The rooms come with a desk with a dataport and microwave and frig. However, the Blue Seas also has these things not to mention free wireless internet. The main problem with this hotel for about the last year and a half is the construction of the new lifeguard tower right at the end of the street that the hotel is situated on. Since their parking is underneath the hotel, all the construction made it very difficult to get in and out of the parking garage. The one plus about their parking is that it is free whereas the BW Blue Sea Lodge right down the street in Mission Beach charges $6 or $7 a night for their parking and they have underground and outside parking. In Pacific Beach, however, it doesn't matter where you stay, all parking places are very tiny and now even more so with the rage for SUVs. Anyway, the pool is not as large as the one at the Pacific Terrace or the Blue Sea, but it is warm, and the jacuzzi is nice. However, their pool area closes at 10. Well, they say it closes at 10pm. The last time I stayed at this hotel, there were several of us in the jacuzzi having a pleasant conversation, enjoying the evening. At about 9pm/9:15, management shut off the jacuzzi. Then at around 9:30/9:45, they shut the lights off in the pool area. I couldn't believe it. We had been looking forward to using the pool area all day at a time when there would be less children, and they closed it early. When we complained, the security guard person became very rude and asked us to leave!! Now, this hotel admittedly has a beautiful view of the beach and the ocean, but just like every other property in Pacific Beach or Mission Beach you do have the problem of homeless people and once in a while a drunk causing trouble right outside your windown on the boardwalk. But that comes with the territory. This is a big city, and there are homeless people who live down on the beach, and it is a college party town so there will be drunks. But I think the sound of the ocean at night and the proximity to the beach makes up for most of it. I never feel unsafe in Pacific Beach. I just use good judgment. At any rate, I have had problems with this hotel with billing. I have never gotten a straight answer from the front desk on whether or not 800 number calls are free or charged. Sometimes they are free and sometimes not. Also, I had a problem with the hotel releasing the hold they had on my credit card after the charge had already come through. I had to make several calls to the hotel after I got home from my trip, and was sassed by an employee over the phone and told I should just wait. Well, I called again a few days later and complained, and miraculously the hold was finally released. The Blue Sea Lodge and the Ocean Park Inn charge about the same for their room rates and there are a lot of pros and cons of both properties, but after the incident at the pool, I don't think I'll stay there again. During one of my stays at this hotel, my friend, who walks with a cane, asked if she could have a room close to the elevators. They put her in the last room at the end of the hall in the wing on the other side of the pool, as far from the elevators as she could get. When she asked if they would move her, they told her there was nothing they could do about it. Well, it happened to me the next time I stayed there with family, and I immediately called the desk and insisted they move us, which they did. So sometimes they are accomodating and sometimes there are not. I have to admit this property is in much better repair that the Blue Sea, and I have been there many times, twice when the pool was shut down, and once when the elevator was broken. I have even considered staying at the Pacific Terrace, but for much the same situation, they charge about double, so I have put up with the situations at these two properties. Again, even though the rooms are nicer at the OPI than at the BSL, I probably will not stay at this hotel again and will return to the BSL where I am treated better and they have warm chocolate chip cookies waiting for me at my arrival!!!!! Also, at the BSL, if the room is not what you want, they will work with you until you find just the perfect room. One time, they gave me about 6 keys and told me to go check them out and pick the one I wanted. How's that for accomodating. Another reason why I would choose that hotel over the OPI. Just remember, none of these properties are the Ritz Carlton. They are in a tourist/resort town and get heavy traffic and heavy abuse!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2005
8  Thank shamara
A TripAdvisor Member
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 19 June 2006

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Ocean Park Inn. The view of the ocean was beautiful and the sound of the waves was very relaxing. The continental breakfast was much better than I had expected - cereals, bagels, pastries, etc. The location is perfect. We didn't use our car during our stay because everything we needed is within walking distance. There's a supermarket across the street which came in very handy since we had a microwave and refrigerator in the room. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to everyone and we can't wait until we go back!!

• Stayed: June 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed 25 May 2006

While we have stayed several times at the Ocean Park Inn and have enjoyed our room, the hotel has definitely acquired a bum problem.

Several of the same bums (approx. 10) consistently hang out directly in front of the hotel on the oceanside boardwalk drinking, yelling, changing their clothes (yes, one was naked) and asking for money from those walking on the boardwalk. We have always had a balcony room and one day, as we were eating our breakfast, a bum started throwing up directly across from us. Of course, we promptly lost our appetite and came inside the room. We have been woken up several times by bums yelling in the early-morning hours; i.e., 12:00 am - 4:00 am - and have had to call the San Diego police department several times.

Unfortunately, the only thing the police can do is shoo them off, but they come back an hour or so later. As the continued problem with loitering bums has been consistently becoming worse through the years, we will not be staying at the Ocean Park Inn any longer and will take our business further north. Too bad, as we really enjoyed it here. Seems the hotel and the police department need to get more "teeth" in handling this bum issue. It destroys the beauty of San Diego!

• Stayed: July 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 March 2006

I just returned from my 3rd stay at the Ocean Park Inn. After reading some of the negative reviews, I had wondered if maybe a change in staff had resulted in some bad service. Happily, this was not the case. My friend and I were greeted with smiles upon our early check in and every encounter with the staff after that was pleasant and helpful. The location of this hotel can not be beat. The view is perfect and it's within easy walking distance of a million things to do. I think that the bad reviews sprinkled through this hotels listing must be from people expecting an ocean front Ritz Carlton for the price of Motel 6. Stay at this hotel with an open mind and you will NOT be disappointed!

• Stayed: March 2006