“The Best Place to Experience San Diego”
Review of Ocean Park Inn

Ocean Park Inn
Ranked #29 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Asheville
“The Best Place to Experience San Diego”
Reviewed 17 April 2010

hen we stay in a town, I always try to pick a hotel that will give us the most authentic experience of that town. The Ocean Park Inn, right on the beautiful Pacific Beach and boardwalk was PERFECT. They have JUST completed a great remodel of the entire place.

We stayed in a ground floor corner room with a "limited" ocean view for our first two nights. Although it was actually VERY limited, it was like a sensory deprivation room...REALLY quiet. The last night, Sunday, we upgraded to a third (top) floor ocean front room. We loved sitting on the balcony and sharing a bottle of wine watching the "parade" go by. At night, were able to leave the doors open and had fell asleep to the ocean sounds which muffled any of the other noises from the board walk below.

Now, the hotel is right next to the two most popular bar/restaurants in Pacific Beach. This area is so hopping all day and night that you will not find any street parking so we really appreciated the underground parking (for just $5 a day!). There WILL be noise, some bar hoping drunks and some polite homeless people around. If this distresses you, you probably should go up the street to LaJolla. But, if you want all of the fun and experience of San Diego at its best, Stay here!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
SDMat, Manager at Ocean Park Inn, responded to this review, 12 May 2010
We're happy to hear you like the remodel! Next time you stay, you will be able to see our brand new 380+ gallon salt water fish tank that we are currently working on installing into the lobby! We're also thrilled to hear you enjoyed one of the Ocean Park Inn's most unique experiences - being able to sit or sleep in your room and hear the waves crash on the sand! We're looking forward to seeing you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Tucson AZ
Reviewed 14 April 2010

We were so caught up in work and the holidays we decided to take a quick break and drive to San Diego to get away! As usual, the staff at Ocean Park was so welcoming! They always greet us by name and call once we are in our room to make sure everything is perfect.

The weather was great. This is actually one of the best times to visit San Diego. Whale watching was so much fun and the quick drive up to Carlsbad to go to the outlets got us focused on Christmas gifts! We sat outside on our balcony to enjoy the sunset and the boardwalk. It is not crowded at all this time of year. Kona's coffee is always a favorite as is Filipili's on Garnet. We alway go across the way to the Firehouse and have at least drinks, if not dinner.

We made it through Christmas, happy and relaxed and plan to make an early get away to Ocean Park every year at the same time. We miss you more and more every time we come home!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
SDMat, Manager at Ocean Park Inn, responded to this review, 12 May 2010
We're glad you had a chance to explore the town and see some whales! Sorry you miss us so much - we do have a tendency to spoil our guests! We're looking forward to seeing you again this winter.
Surprise, AZ
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Sachin and Patrick provided us with great customer service! They made me and my sister feel at home every hour we were there. They recommended great restaurants, gave us VIP tickets, and we had a blast being right on the ocean. Great location! The view was to die for each night. I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2010
SDMat, Manager at Ocean Park Inn, responded to this review, 12 May 2010
We're all happy to hear you had such a great celebration! Sounds like you had an awesome opportunity to explore the town. Thanks for being such great fans of the hotel and our Facebook page!
Bellingham
Reviewed 12 April 2010

First let me say that I'm a pretty laid back guy, so I wasn't too alarmed to find the hotel undergoing some remodeling when we arrived--some people might be put off. But our ground-floor room was great and the staff, Sachin in particular, was informative and helpfull even before we had arrived by doing some research on who rented standup paddle boards.

Second, for a beach type vacation the value and location can't be beat whether surfing, swimming or just walking the boardwalk next to the beach.

I'll be back for more sun and sand!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
NYC
Reviewed 7 April 2010

Ocean park Inn was a wonderful stay for us. The rooms were roomy, clean, well appointed and the staff was very helpful. We also took advantage of the complimentary breakfast which included toast, bagels, pastries, cereals and fresh fruits. The value wasn't what i would call exceptional at $200 dollars a night after taxes and parking were thrown in - but I think it was WELL worth it with the fantastic beachside location and the proximity to restaurants and nightlife. I would recommend HIGHLY requesting a room that does not face the Firehouse (a nightclub of sorts that is across the way) Its extremely loud but we upgraded to the partial oceanview and slept peacefully. They are still going through renovations but it did not hinder our enjoyment at the very least. I would absolutely return to this hotel and recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
Tucson
Reviewed 3 April 2010

After staying at a similar property down the boardwalk, we decided to check this hotel out, and we really enjoyed it! Great amenities for the price and location; the beach and surf right outside our partial ocean view room, nice pool and spa, and even with the renovation construction going on, we weren't bothered by any noise. We even found the neighbor restaurant to be very considerate. We plan on returning.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank designerladyTucson
Harvard, Illinois
Reviewed 2 April 2010

I stayed at Ocean Park Inn in 2008 and 2009. I walked up and down the boardwalk and I don't feel there is a better place to stay. I was on the 3rd floor with an ocean view each time. It is breathtaking at sunset.

The hotel was in the process of upgrades during my last stay. My room had not been updated yet - it was in dire need of new bedding I will admit. The bed was quite uncomfortable. The TV was out dated - they were replacing them with wall mounted flat screens however. They were also painting all of the hallways - I see someone mentioned the hallways were not air conditioned - I don't spend time in the hallway, so I don't see why this would matter - I never noticed the hallways being uncomfortable.

I used the pool area quite a bit to tan, and was usually the only one there. Pool area is great.

I have read some reviews stating that the management and staff were rude, that the area is noisy, and there are people hanging around the hotel. I had absolutely no problems with any of the staff on either of my stays. Each one was consistently helpful, courteous - almost to a fault!, and friendly. Jay, Chanel, Patrick, Sachin and Karelia - made my stay all the more enjoyable.

The hotel is on the Pacific Beach boardwalk - there is noise. There are people on the boardwalk, rollerblading, skateboarding, biking, walking and jogging from early morning to evening. The beach is also immediately off the boardwalk - what do people expect?!? For there to be no one on the beach and no one on the boardwalk? If you want quiet and solitude, stay on an island. It's Pacific Beach, it's a beach community - it is what it is. I never found the noise to be over-whelming and slept with my slider open every nite.

Yes, there are a number of homeless that stay directly in front of the hotel on the boardwalk - they keep to themselves and don't bother anyone. I never saw them approach anyone at any time. They are gone by early evening. Traveling alone, I never felt afraid to be near them at any time-in fact I talked to some of them. They are harmless. T

The continental breakfast changed last year and didn't offer as much as it did the year before (there were waffle makers the year before). However, there were several varieties of fresh bagels, packaged pastries, toast, butter, jelly's, cream cheese, fresh fruits, cereals, coffee, juice and milk. Just like any other continental breakfast FOR FREE. I'm just not sure what people expect. It was quite adequate. I would rather not have a full breakfast offered in lieu of keeping costs down.

Again, having walked up and down the boardwalk, there are some really trashy places to stay - including the Best Western that are old, outdated, filthy and run down. Yes, there are a few nicer places like Tower 23 but the cost is also considerably higher. For the money, location, rooms and staff, I can't think of a better place to stay while in Pacific Beach or the San Diego area.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo