“Wake up to crashing waves” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Park Inn

Ocean Park Inn
Ranked #29 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Palm Springs
“Wake up to crashing waves”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2006

I stayed on a Saturday night in December and a pacific storm blew in that night. What a great place to be if you love the sea like I do. That was the only noise I heard all night.
The rooms are comfy and oversized. The balcolnies have plenty of room to sit and watch the sea.
You cannot beat this location if you like long walk and fresh air.
Do your self a favour and Stay here!

• Stayed December 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank TimPalmSprings

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2006

This hotel is in an excellent location. You can wake up to the Pacific Ocean and literally walk outside and you are on the beach. The lifeguards are active and so too are the police in the area. Everyone is friendly and happy and there are loads of restaurants and diners within walking distance either on the beach or one block over for breakfast. You can access the swimming pool from the beach with your room key. The pool area is cleaned everymorning and the hot tub is replenished at least twice a week.
Hire bikes on the board walk and explore the area. We cycled up to La Jolla and down to Mission Bay in beautiful sunshine.
You don't really need a car if you are prepared to use public transport which was $2.25 to downtown. The no. 30 takes you from outside the hotel to downtown or to the bus depot where you can connect with the train, the tram or other buses ...20 mins.
You can take the no.8/ 9 to Sea World also from the same stop.
The breakfast in the hotel is poor. So bring your own. There is fat-laden pastries, sugar cereals and very sweet bagels and bread. Even the juice isn't real juice and too sweet.
The staff are lovely, they look like college students but are very kind and informative and work hard.
Hire a car and go to the zoo, Las Americas mall which is excellent for discounts and on the border with Mexico about 40 mins away or take the 5 to LA. only 2 hours drive away.Visit Rodeo Drive, Robertson Blvd, Sunset Blvd and the Hollywood Hills...truly amazing.
This is a great hotel in a great location. Our room was clean, the microwave and fridge came in very handy and the balcony was great.
San Diego weather is incredible. I got a wonderful tan without effort just by being out doors all the time.
I highly reccommend OPI
The photos include a bellydancer from Marrakesh Restaurant in La Jolla, Sunset over Pacific Beach from the hotel pool, surfers at the beach!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Slow elevator
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Foleyka
Lakeside
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2006

We just returned from a trip to California which included a stay at the Pacific Coast Inn. There were 4 of us in the room and although it was not a suite, we managed to fit just fine. When we arrived we were greeted by very friendly staff at this hotel who were very knowledgeable about the area and things to do. Our room had a balcony that overlooked the ocean which was wonderful to wake up to and drink coffee while watching the dolphins play out in the ocean. Although this is an older hotel, the rooms were clean and we were all content because we could walk right out to the beach and enjoy the beach fest that was going on. We did not go in the pool, but there was a pool and a jacuzzi available. There are many restaurants within walking distance and our favorite was Nicks, which everyone in the family enjoyed. This hotel is about 1 block from crystal pier which is lovely on its own. There was parking available underground although it is a tight fit down there. We had no trouble with beggars as was noted in some other reviews, I didn't even see any while we were there except for one guy out on the street trying to beg for a beer from cars passing by. The breakfast is continental and we chose to go to the IHOP that was just one block away since we have starving teenagers. All in all, we enjoyed our stay here and everyone in the family thought that it would be worth a return trip to stay here again.

• Liked — Proximity to the beach
  • Disliked — Older rooms
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
6 Thank ugogirl1
whittier, ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2006

We were on a budget honeymoon, and this was a great place to stay. The youthful staff was kind enough to give us an ocean-front room at an affordable price. The massage school is walking distance for half price massage, too. Grab your bikes and you'll be relieved of your car as long as you're there! You'll find yourself just steps from the picturesque ocean, pier, and nearby restaurants (Kafe Yen is the best!), bars, and shops. This is not the place for you if you want luxury, but if you want to be in the center of Pacific Beach, for less than a fortune, it's fabulous!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
7 Thank saades
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2006

1. Front desk crew courteous but very young.
2. Continental breakfast is OK. At times you had difficulty getting a table mid morning.
3. Exterior of hotel needs painting and maintenance.
4. Air conditioner in room is weak.
5. This is not a Marriott or Starwoods hotel.
6. Location to beach is very nice.
7. Parking in garage is very tight. I damaged my right side driver mirror trying to park our Yukon XL last night. The parking garage is setup for compact cars. Not everyone drives a compact car.
8. Hotel maintenance staff is very courteouse and responsive. It is my guess that hotel ownership is tight with capital dollars for improvements if they can fill the hotel without too much trouble at the rates they charge.
9. The empty building across from the hotel should be torn down. It detracts from the area.
10. The fire department is one (1) building over. This is good if you have a fire and from a security perspective but bad if they are out on calls and sound the sirens.
11. Only saw a few street people. The SD PD made two (2) arrests of street people when we were there. They were very proactive in this area.
12. The location of the SD Life Guard station is very positive. The beach are by the hotel is monitored heavily. The life guard staff on the beach were very proactive on currents in the ocean.
13. The beach needs to cleaned daily from the seaweed.
14. We walked 3 miles up and down the beach and most of the folks seemed to be tourists that were on the beach.
15. You have many restaurant options within walking distance.
16. Hotel has onsite security in the evenings and after hours.

• Liked — Close to the beach
  • Disliked — Parking, Surrounding area
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank Transolinc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2006

I just returned from a stay at the Ocean Park Inn from Friday, July 21, to today, and I cannot wait to go back. In fact, I have booked a reservation in December. This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel, and I just love it. First of all, the hotel overlooks the ocean. You are ON the beach. Some people have complained about accommodations and service at this hotel, and granted, it is NOT the Ritz Carlton. I found the staff to be hard-working, and at times, over-worked, but friendly. I've also found that if you are nice, patient and friendly with people; they are likewise with you.

We arrived in San Diego on Friday around 12:30 PM. Our room at the Ocean Park Inn was not yet ready, as they had 100 percent occupancy, and had to get the rooms cleaned for check-ins. Check-in time is 3 PM. My boyfriend and I parked our rental car in the OPI lot, and walked around the beach and went to lunch. When we checked back at 2:30 PM, our room was ready. I had booked a king, partial ocean view room on Expedia. This room was facing the pool, and beyond that, the ocean. Basically, it was an ocean front room without the ocean-front price!!!! We were thrilled!!!!

This hotel is in such a great location that you don't really need a car. Unless you are going to SeaWorld or exploring San Diego, there is everything within walking distance to the hotel. My boyfriend and I walked so much that our legs and feet are sore!!! Across the street is a Ralph's grocery store; Starbucks; UNO restaurant (best pizza in town! great place!); Sketchers; Long's Drug Store; Jack in the Box; Wells Fargo ATM; 7-11. Down the street a bit is Rubio's and LaSalsa for fresh Mexican food, Taco Bell and Burger King. Next to the hotel is Taylor's Restaurant (which is good, but not great); Joe's Crab Shack (also good); and lots more of everything. For live music, try Blind Melon's (now 710 Ocean Avenue or something like that ) at the pier (two blocks away). They feature different music nightly, all of it good. For nightlife information, get a free San Diego READER magazine.

For t-shirt or other beachwear shopping, try the beach front shops about 4 blocks south of the hotel. They have the BEST prices on sunglasses, postcards, t-shirts, hats, swimwear, etc. WAVE is a little pricey; try the unnamed "mom and pop" shops just past the Best Western and Surfer hotels.

The OPI also offers a free continental breakfast, with cereals, fruit, bagels, sweet rolls, a variety of juices and coffee. Parking is now $7.00 per night, in a secured, underground garage. There is a microwave, refrigerator, in-room safe, hair dryer, coffee maker, iron and ironing board in each room. The beds are comfortable, and the rooms are clean.

I much prefer OPI over the Best Western Blue Sea Lodge, because it is smaller and cleaner, and it caters more to families and couples than wild party people. I was very glad to be staying at the OPI instead of the Surfer Hotel, Blue Sea Lodge or other adjacent hotels, because the beach this past weekend was like Spring Break. Lots of wild, noisy, drunk 20-somethings...but none of them appeared to be staying at Ocean Park Inn.

I also much prefer Pacific Beach to Ocean Beach. Ocean Beach is in an older, lower-income section of town, and I just did not feel safe in that area in general. While Pacific Beach has its share of homeless people, they tend to mind their own business. I felt quite safe walking at any time of the day or night on Pacific Beach, and there always seems to be people walking around, regardless of the hour.

We will be back...

• Liked — Location, location, location!!
  • Disliked — The expensive Summer pricing.
  • Tips/Secrets — Book an ocean-front or partial ocean view room. It is worth the money, as you are right on the ocean!
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
11 Thank ltp_tango
Milan, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2006

I have stayed at this hotel several times, alone, with family, and with friends, and have mixed feelings. First of all the rooms are much prettier than the Blue Seas down the street but I wouldn't say the beds are more comfortable. It took me about 30 minutes just to find the closet behing the mirror. The rooms come with a desk with a dataport and microwave and frig. However, the Blue Seas also has these things not to mention free wireless internet. The main problem with this hotel for about the last year and a half is the construction of the new lifeguard tower right at the end of the street that the hotel is situated on. Since their parking is underneath the hotel, all the construction made it very difficult to get in and out of the parking garage. The one plus about their parking is that it is free whereas the BW Blue Sea Lodge right down the street in Mission Beach charges $6 or $7 a night for their parking and they have underground and outside parking. In Pacific Beach, however, it doesn't matter where you stay, all parking places are very tiny and now even more so with the rage for SUVs. Anyway, the pool is not as large as the one at the Pacific Terrace or the Blue Sea, but it is warm, and the jacuzzi is nice. However, their pool area closes at 10. Well, they say it closes at 10pm. The last time I stayed at this hotel, there were several of us in the jacuzzi having a pleasant conversation, enjoying the evening. At about 9pm/9:15, management shut off the jacuzzi. Then at around 9:30/9:45, they shut the lights off in the pool area. I couldn't believe it. We had been looking forward to using the pool area all day at a time when there would be less children, and they closed it early. When we complained, the security guard person became very rude and asked us to leave!! Now, this hotel admittedly has a beautiful view of the beach and the ocean, but just like every other property in Pacific Beach or Mission Beach you do have the problem of homeless people and once in a while a drunk causing trouble right outside your windown on the boardwalk. But that comes with the territory. This is a big city, and there are homeless people who live down on the beach, and it is a college party town so there will be drunks. But I think the sound of the ocean at night and the proximity to the beach makes up for most of it. I never feel unsafe in Pacific Beach. I just use good judgment. At any rate, I have had problems with this hotel with billing. I have never gotten a straight answer from the front desk on whether or not 800 number calls are free or charged. Sometimes they are free and sometimes not. Also, I had a problem with the hotel releasing the hold they had on my credit card after the charge had already come through. I had to make several calls to the hotel after I got home from my trip, and was sassed by an employee over the phone and told I should just wait. Well, I called again a few days later and complained, and miraculously the hold was finally released. The Blue Sea Lodge and the Ocean Park Inn charge about the same for their room rates and there are a lot of pros and cons of both properties, but after the incident at the pool, I don't think I'll stay there again. During one of my stays at this hotel, my friend, who walks with a cane, asked if she could have a room close to the elevators. They put her in the last room at the end of the hall in the wing on the other side of the pool, as far from the elevators as she could get. When she asked if they would move her, they told her there was nothing they could do about it. Well, it happened to me the next time I stayed there with family, and I immediately called the desk and insisted they move us, which they did. So sometimes they are accomodating and sometimes there are not. I have to admit this property is in much better repair that the Blue Sea, and I have been there many times, twice when the pool was shut down, and once when the elevator was broken. I have even considered staying at the Pacific Terrace, but for much the same situation, they charge about double, so I have put up with the situations at these two properties. Again, even though the rooms are nicer at the OPI than at the BSL, I probably will not stay at this hotel again and will return to the BSL where I am treated better and they have warm chocolate chip cookies waiting for me at my arrival!!!!! Also, at the BSL, if the room is not what you want, they will work with you until you find just the perfect room. One time, they gave me about 6 keys and told me to go check them out and pick the one I wanted. How's that for accomodating. Another reason why I would choose that hotel over the OPI. Just remember, none of these properties are the Ritz Carlton. They are in a tourist/resort town and get heavy traffic and heavy abuse!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2005