“1st trip to San Dieg”

Ranked #15 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
South Bend, Indiana
“1st trip to San Dieg”
Reviewed 5 April 2014

The Old Town Inn is a very good place to stay. The prices are reasonable, the rooms are clean with old style charm. The location is very central to most attractions by the ocean. We could even see the fireworks from Sea World on Friday night. They have a good free breakfast with fruit, cereal, waffles, juice, milk,bagels, etc. The only drawback was the internet consistency...when it was good it was fine, but many times was weak and caused issues getting emails and/or data to download.

Room Tip: When we go back, we plan to pick a room on the second floor facing away from the courtyard/parking l...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank David C
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your review, with other travelers on Trip Advisor. Welcome to San Diego! We really appreciate hearing from you and that you enjoyed the accommodations and the amenities that our hotel has to offer. Thank you for the positive comments regarding our cleanliness, breakfast as well our customer service. We are delighted to know our location, worked out for you, specially being so close to all the attractions and the historical Old Town San Diego. We do apologize that you were having difficulties with the internet; the management are in the process of fixing the issue.

Thank you for choosing the Old Town inn San Diego, and hope you choose us the next time you are in San Diego.

Visit our Hotel Website or Call Us at (800) 643-3025

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
La Verne, California
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I have to admit...going to a hotel that is sight unseen is a little scary. I rely on Trip Advisor a lot to make sure where I'm going is decent...this little gem surprised me. Starting with our check-in the whole experience was positive. Everyone in the front office is very nice and helpful...not only with the guests, but with each other. The location is awesome, especially if you're in San Diego to go to Old Town, as we were. The room was clean and bed was comfortable. The only complaint, and it's not the Old Town Inn's fault, is the no left turn out of the parking lot. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for the great feedback on our hotel in Old Town San Diego. Many comments similar to yours are great appreciated, our great location and easy access to the historical Old Town San Diego, local attractions for exploring and adventure. Our rooms are quiet, clean and comfortable for our guest to relax and enjoy peace moment. Buy your review, it shows you are an expert in travel and comparing locations and facilities, it makes easy for other travelers to review and decide where to stay during their next visit in San Diego. I do concur, the team is like a big family, and everyone here works diligently and has fun while enjoying our visitors and guest here in the beautiful sunny San Diego.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and how the Old Town Inn surprised you and we are delighted to know, you had a positive experience at the Old Town Inn. We hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one.

Book Direct with Us - For the Best Service, Selection, and Value! *

Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Overall I would recommend this hotel. The staff is excellent and very helpful.

As others stated the location is ideal to access the trolley, busses and old town San Diego.

We stayed there for four nights on spring break vacation. The lure of this hotel is the location and the fact that it costs about a hundred dollars less than other hotels in San Diego.

Room:
We stayed in a second floor room, with a queen bed and a kitchenette.
The room was nice and clean. They even provided with a cooking set, so if you want to get food and cook it yourself you can do that to save a bit more money.

Bed:
Queen size bed was alright, but was a bit too squishy for my back needs (I like a firmer mattress). The same went for the pillows, not much support, but they did the job.

TV:
The TV was a fairly new LCD, however all the channels were low definition. However, it does come with a DVD player and they have bunches of old movies in the lobby that you can borrow from them for free.

Bathroom:
Fairly nice. Only downside is that the showerhead is really low, I am 6' 3" and it was hitting me low on the chest. Additionally, I think to save on hot water, the hot water pressure is considerably lower than the cold water pressure in the shower, though it still had a full stream that reached the other side of the tub. However, it was a budget priced location, so the couple idiosyncrasies are tolerated just fine.

Breakfast:
The free breakfast was pretty good, served til 10 am. I enjoyed the make your own waffles and fruit. Note on the waffles to be sure and SPRAY the iron first. There was no sign with instructions so my first waffle came apart and had to redo it. The breakfast has bagels, cream cheese, lemon water, coffee, and cold cereals to choose from as well. Also it is bus yourself. This is fine, except for several guests who did not clean up after themselves. Additionally, the coffee and water are served in the lobby til about 10:30 pm.

Service:
We did not use room service while we were staying there to clean the room or otherwise, as we typically don't like others in the room which we stay. That said, they did answer the phone in the lobby at 4 am when I called to have them bring us a cab to take to the airport. Additionally, they have extra toiletries that they provide to customers for free, which came in handy. They also provide good advise on how to get around the city and where to find food and such.

Payment:
We paid using our VISA, but I did overhear another customer who was using cash, which required a deposit. I believe it was around a $100 just as a heads up.

Parking:
We flew in, so we did not have a car, but their parking lot is kind of small, and they do need to keep track of the cars that stay there. One car sounded like ti was fine, but doing much more than that might be pushing them to capacity.

Pool:
Did not try. They do not have a spa/sauna, but they stated the pool is heated to 80 degrees. Did not feel that warm when I felt it, but it looked clean. Is located outside and was a bit small.

Conclusion:
Overall I would highly recommend this place, for families, couples or individuals who want a great location in the heart of San Diego, and for those who plan on using public transportation.

No complaints really.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian A
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Brian,

I'm glad to hear our hotel was so convenient for your spring break trip. As you mentioned, it really is a great location for anyone who wants to use public transit during their stay. We are just a 5 minute walk to the Old Town Transit Station, and we even have compass cards that our guests can borrow to use during their stay to save money while using public transit.

It sounds like you must have compared our prices with some of the other hotels on the eastern edge of Old Town, and I'm glad you found our hotel to be a great value. We have economy rooms and deluxe rooms, and I think our especially budget-conscious guests appreciate having so many choices. Our economy rooms (which accommodate up to 2 people) are cozy at about 200 square feet, and our deluxe rooms are about 350 square feet. Even our deluxe rooms are priced very competitively as you found out. Most nights our rates are at least $30.00 to $40.00 less expensive than most of the other hotels on the east edge of Old Town.

I've always enjoyed our Simmons Beauty rest mattresses when I stayed here at the Old Town Inn, so I'm sorry to hear you found the mattresses and pillows to be a little on the soft side for your tastes. The owner of our hotel tested out the mattress brand for several months before deciding that it was a good choice that would work well for most guests. Hopefully by the next time you come to visit us, the showerhead issue will be solved. There are plans in the works to add additional hardware to the showers so that the showerheads will be higher, so our taller guests (like yourself) won't have to stoop to wash their faces.

I think our breakfast has a great variety, and I agree that the waffles are delicious. You make a good point though, and I will mention to the manager that maybe we should consider posting instructions on how to use the waffle maker. While our staff is available 24 hours a day, I guess you may not always want to come ask someone to assist you in the breakfast room. I'm glad that you had a great time, and we hope to see you again soon!

Cecily| Front Desk Agent
Northfield, Minnesota
Reviewed 31 March 2014

After reading the reviews for this hotel on Trip Advisor, my sister chose it for the price and amenities. She told me she was a little skeptical because, in the satellite photos, the hotel appeared to be in an industrial district but was a short walk to Old Town San Diego and the price was the best in the Old Town area. Yes, the hotel is definitely in an industrial district, but the hotel itself is a pretty mission-style oasis with lovely landscaping. The rooms were very clean and much nicer than the significantly more expensive (and we got a group rate!) Fairfield Inn we had to stay in our first night. My sister and I used the laundry facilities and they were nice and convenient, although one of the dryers had a thermostat issue (still usable). The breakfast buffet was good. Great fresh fruit mix, waffles (although one of the waffle makers had issues), good selection. Presentation of the rooms was lovely. Wait until you see what they do with the toilet paper! So cute!! And I found the bed to be very comfortable. Above all, the staff was absolutely wonderful - warm and welcoming and happy to help with anything you needed. All in all, I thought we got excellent value for the money and would definitely stay at the Old Town Inn again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quieter and traffic noise is not noticeable. There is an elevator. I don...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Nancy P
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Valued guests, thank you for such a thoughtful and kind review, we appreciate your feedback. Despite the satellite photos; that made you and your sister skeptical. We are glad you gave us a chance in choosing our hotel. We know you had other options when it comes to hotels, so thank you. Looks can be deceiving and glad it turned out for the best. It is nice to hear it was a pleasant surprise and a great outcome and you enjoyed your stay very much. On that note we have lots of amenities to offer to our guest for their convenience and to make their stay more relaxing. I do see here that our laundry facilities where at a great advantage for you, some of our guest, like to sit out by the pool and relax, while they wait for their cloth to wash. Thank you for bringing to our attention about the waffle maker incident, we did order a new waffle maker; I hope this did not put a damper on your stay. Trip Advisor is all about guest satisfaction and we tend to rate highly with guest, who wants to get, the most for their dollar, value, cleanliness, and who appreciate genuine hospitality and have done their research.

It was our pleasure assisting you and your sister, while staying here at the Old Town Inn, and for letting we welcome you with open doors to a whole new outlook.

Laura | Guest Services
Old Town Inn
Visit our Hotel Website or Call Us at (800) 643-3025 ext visit to San Diego.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed here because we had read good reviews in a budget hotel guide and were very pleased we made the choice. We were able to catch the Amtrak train straight down to San Diego after arriving at LAX and taking the Flyaway bus to Union Station. The taxi to the hotel was around $20. Our room was very comfortable and we had pre-organised to have a hamper of cooking implements, plates, cutlery etc which was an excellent choice as we purchased hot chicken, bread and salad items at a nearby shopping centre and could then make our own meals and lunch sandwiches etc. The breakfast provided was very good and there was always fresh fruit for the taking in the lobby.
This hotel is within walking distance of the Old Town, plus the transport hub which was very convenient and reception gave us cards (presumably left by other guests) which we could reload with money for the trolley trips. Although the hotel is on a busy road, our room was towards the back and we were not troubled by noise. There is a computer in the lobby which we were able to use freely. If we ever returned to san Diego (a nice place) we would stay here again.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
YoursinHospitalitySD, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay in San Diego. We truly appreciate that you chose the Old Town Inn out of all the hotels in San Diego, and took the time to review your stay with us. It’s great to hear that the trip from LAX was convenient for you! We highly recommend our guests to use the Amtrak, Coaster, Trolley, and other public transportation that San Diego offers (convenient walk from Old Town Inn, and it’s green!). The Amtrak makes daily stops right here at the Old Town transit station, which is convenient for our guests, however if you are traveling on the Amtrak, make sure to check, because sometimes the train goes straight downtown. The Compass Cards you mentioned are something our manager purchased to help our guests, to save the extra two dollars usually paid when buying your first ticket. We lend these out, which makes it easier for our guests and also saves money.

We are so happy to hear that your room with a kitchen worked out well for you; we recommend these rooms to our guests staying more than a few days (or just a couple days- our rooms with a mini fridge and microwave are also great for this) it really saves money and time to be able to cook a few meals, instead of going out for every meal.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We greatly appreciate your recommendation. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest, and we hope to see you again if you come to San Diego in the future!

Alex | Customer Service Agent
Boulder Creek, California
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Great Location. Great Price. Nice, clean rooms and well maintained exterior and gardens! Front Desk staff are friendly and helpful.
It's nice to be able to walk back from Old Town after maybe too many margaritas.
I will definitely stay hear again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
YoursinHospitalitySD, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for reviewing the Old Town Inn! I am so glad to hear that our location was convenient for you, and that you got a good value staying with us.

We appreciate you mentioning our wonderful and dedicated Front Desk staff. The Front Desk Staff has extensive knowledge of San Diego and are always happy to help with anything you may need – from directions, to finding hidden gems in the city, to suggestions for great food nearby.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed the clean rooms and well maintained grounds. The maintenance staff works hard to keep the property looking great, and our housekeeping staff does an amazing job keeping the rooms spotless.

We would love the opportunity to serve you again. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest!

Alex | Customer Service Agent
Bellflower
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

We absolutely loved staying here! Friendly and welcoming staff, very clean. Great complimentary breakfast. Not far at all from sea world/zoo and across the street from old town!! Great place. We will be coming back!

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest, We greatly appreciate comments like yours for others to read and decide where to stay during their next visit to Old Town San Diego. Thank you for the compliments on our great hotel, staff, amenities and location in Old Town San Diego. All within a short walk or drive-our great location makes us so convenient and easy access to the historical Old Town, Sea World, San Diego Zoo and Downtown Gaslamp to explore and adventure.

We all look forward to you visiting again with fun, adventure and thoughts of local attractions into your immediate future.