“Great hotel for value, walking distance to Marine Corps graduation”
Review of Old Town Inn

Ranked #10 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We loved our stay in Old Town Inn. We went to see my hubby's brother graduate from the Marine Corps. We were able to walk there (maybe 20 minutes away?), and to Old Town, fairly easily. We also visited the Gas Lamp Quarters and the zoo - both fantastic! We would stay again. Clean pool and room. Only complaint is that the walls were very thin and we could hear our neighbors all night. Not a huge deal though! Still a great experience and yummy breakfast too.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear Valued Customer,

One of the reasons our hotel is located where it is along Pacific Highway is in order to be close to the Marine Corps Recruit Depot (MCRD). Back in the 1940’s our current owners’ grandfather wanted to start a hotel that would be convenient and affordable for MCRD visitors, and we still strive to meet those goals today. While I usually recommend taking a cab to MCRD, we are only about a mile away from the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, and I’m glad to hear you had an easy time walking there to see your brother-in-law’s graduation.

Our front desk is staffed 24 hours a day, so if you ever return to stay with us, please feel free to call us anytime with noise or any other issues that may come up. If you have a neighbor that is being noisy, we would be happy to speak to them for you. We want to make sure that everyone’s stay is as comfortable as possible.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and we’re glad to hear it was a great experience for you. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Had a quick 1 nite stop over on both inbound and outbound legs thru San Diego. Found this hotel to be very close to the airport, staff friendly and courteous, rooms clean and comfortable, and all at a reasonable rate. If you need a quick convienient room, you`ve found it here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Saskatoombanker, Wow! what a great review, thank you for taking the time and for mentioning how close we are to the airport, clean room and the friendly staff service. The Old Town Inn is just a 10 minute drive to the airport or a $15.00 taxi ride. I am thrilled to know, we were able to accommodate you and you were able to enjoy your short stay with us at the Old Town Inn San Diego.

Thank you for the well thought out review. I appreciate the feedback. It is great to know that we are taking care of our guest’s. I hope to see you again when you decide to escape to San Diego.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Great hotel, extremely friendly staff who were happy to answer our questions, we flew in from Australia and had jet leg and they were very kind and even gave out free toothpaste/shampoo etc

Room was immaculately clean
The free breakfast was nice, lots of choice
Staff happy to give directions to Seaworld

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jacki B
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Dear Jacki B, Welcome to San Diego, Thank you for taking the time to share your review, I am happy that the staff here at the Old Town Inn San Diego made your stay enjoyable and the accommodations was clean and comfortable. I certainly understand how exhausting it can be after hours of long flight from Australia to San Diego. If I am not mistaken it is about 15 to 17 hours of flight time. That’s way; our outstanding staff members are always ready, willing and able to assist our guests. We believe it is a way of life, not just our job to always, attempt to exceed guests, expectations. Our philosophy is always to attempt to make our guest feel right at home. The entire staff strives to make your business or vacations complete, and it is our privilege to care for our guest while in our hotel, the Old Town Inn San Diego. The toothpaste, shampoo is just a few of the amenities we do offer to our guest during check in, we also do have, toothbrush, razors and comb.

I am very happy that the team made your stay enjoyable. It is very nice when you are able to relax in a clean comfortable room after a very long flight and thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

I stayed here when I was in San Diego for a business convention at the San Diego Convention Center. Although I was expensing the trip, it's to my advantage if I can do things economically.

So: that's the first thing. If you stay at the Old Town Inn, you can get a room *with a kitchen* for 75 or a hundred bucks less than if you stay at one of the big convention hotels by the harbor. This, of course, is $75 - 100 that you can put to better use, like beer and seafood in the Gaslamp.

Of course, it's a couple of miles north of the Convention Center and downtown. This is no problem. Get a transit pass for the San Diego Trolley, which is ridiculously cheap ($15 for four days) and just ride like you were a local. The Old Town transit station is maybe 300 yards from the Old Town Inn, and the neighborhood seems to be quite safe. (The only thing is you have to allow maybe a half hour each way, because the trains come 15 or 20 minutes apart.)

As for stuff near to the hotel, you're a quarter mile from Old Town State Park, which is worth a look. There's some OK restaurants around there, perhaps a little touristy and pricey. The Serra Museum's about a mile away, at the site of the old Presidio, and it's a nice walk if you don't mind climbing a hill. The museum was closed when I was there. I believe the Old Town Inn is also fairly close to the Aquarium and stuff, but I didn't go there.

OK, so down to the hotel itself. First thing is the place was *spotless*, in both my room and the public areas. Having an en suite kitchen gives you freedom from restaurants, and they'll lend you a set of dishes for free. I believe only some of the rooms have a kitchen. The hotel has nice landscaping if you like that sort of thing, lots of pretty shrubs and flowers in the courtyard area and around the pool.

Breakfast is included with the cost of the room, which saves you another twenty bucks a day over the downtown hotels. The hotel has a decent breakfast-- couple of waffle makers, boiled eggs, bagels and muffins and the usual continental breakfast stuff. There's plenty of coffee available, all day. Staff are friendly and really helpful. The place attracts a good sort of clientele, too-- California folks, older tourists, young people, a sports team, a young Marine just graduated from MCRD when I was there. You meet interesting people and a friendly crowd at breakfast.

My next trip to San Diego will probably be for pleasure, and I'll definitely stay here when I'm traveling on my own dime. No contest-- five stars for this place.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Joe_Photon

Dear Valued Guest,

We’re always glad to hear that our guests find our hotel to be a great value for their money. We are an AAA two-diamond property with a focus on providing great service and value at competitive prices. As you mentioned, our prices are much lower than the big hotels located near the Convention Center. Our prices are also very competitive compared to the hotels on the eastern edge of the Old Town State Park.

We are only a 5 minute walk to the Old Town Transit Station, and to the edge of the Old Town State Park, and as the owner of our hotel likes to say, “We are next to nothing, but close to everything.” We’re also only about 4 miles from Balboa Park, 2 miles from Sea World, and a short drive or bus ride to several local beaches. I’m sorry to hear that the Serra Museum was closed when you went there; it is a very interesting site, especially if you’re a bit of a history buff.

One of the most frequent compliments we hear is about the cleanliness of our hotel, and I think this really shows how dedicated our housekeeping staff is. Most of our housekeeping staff has worked here for years, and I really appreciate all the little touches they do in all the rooms.

I always like to tell people that our continental breakfast is pretty good, and that it’s definitely worth getting up for. As you mentioned, it includes waffles, hardboiled eggs, bagels, muffins and other pastries, and it also includes fruit, fruit salad, and steel-cut oatmeal, 3 kinds of cold cereal, orange juice, tea, and coffee. With that much variety, almost all of our guests find something they will enjoy for breakfast.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

I was staying in San Diego for both business and leisure, and the old town inn was a perfect base. The trolley stop was just across the road and it dropped me off directly outside the convention centre. I felt very safe and it was very easy.

The hotel rooms were large and comfortable and the breakfasts were ideal, the waffles were amazing and there were plenty of other options too.

The pool looked inviting but I didn't get the chance to try it out as I was busy being a tourist.

Staff were very helpful and accommodating. A great stay at excellent value.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank pink_princessxx
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Valued Guest, I am delighted to hear you found the Old Town Inn to be a good value and the location to be convenient. Many agree with you and we do our best to offer quality services at reasonable and affordable rate- I believe we have the best value in Old Town San Diego. We love that our guest can travel around San Diego conveniently and quickly. As you have mentioned the trolley dropped you off right in front of the Convention Center, we are a short walk (2.5 blocks) to the main transit center where you can catch the trolley, bus, Amtrak, and also the coaster, which is very convenient for guests traveling without a vehicle. This may also avoid the hassle of driving and having to look for parking at any location you would wish to visit.
I agree that our breakfast is ideal; we continue to add items as time goes on, but the waffles are a longtime favorite. Our complimentary continental breakfast , includes steel cut oatmeal, a variety of fruits, fresh coffee, juice, boiled eggs, breads, milk, make you own waffle, pastries, assorted jelly and fruit cocktail (pineapple, melon, papaya and pear).

Thank you for the great compliments regarding our fantastic large room’s, and our outstanding staff members always ready, willing and able to assist our guests. We believe it is a way of life, not just our job to always, attempt to exceed guests, expectations. Our philosophy is always to attempt to make our guest feel right at home. The entire staff strives to make your business or vacations complete, and it is our privilege to care for our guest while in our hotel, the Old Town Inn San Diego

Our guests really enjoy all the mature landscaping around the pool, and maybe you will find time to take a dip during you next stay. Our pool is heated to 80 degrees, and so it can be enjoyed for most of the year with our great San Diego weather.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We were fortunate to find a room at the last minute. Laura, at the front desk was very nice and let us inspect the room before deciding. The room was very clean and comfortable. Entire staff was friendly and helpful. Coffee and tea available at all times in the comfortable lobby. Breakfast was great with hardboiled eggs, waffles, hot and cold cereal, delicious danish, and fruits. It is set in an clean industrial area, and because of the one-way street, you need to get used to getting in and out. However, we found it to be an adequately quiet neighborhood. Other quests seems to be friendly and courteous; a good class of people.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Peter S

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, your feedback is very important to us. Trip Advisor is all about guest satisfaction and we tend to rate highly with who want to get the most for their dollar, value, cleanliness and who appreciate genuine hospitality, and have done their research. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our breakfast, yes I do agree we have an adequate breakfast to get our guest started for the day. We have a great selection for everyone to enjoy a good meal before starting the day.

We do get guests from all over the world who stay with us, at the Old Town Inn, which makes our Inn to have a great culture view and atmosphere and as well what makes a good class of people. I am very fortunate to meet many guests on a daily basis from all over the world. We are very happy to hear you came across our hotel by last minute plans, and you found our Inn to be more than, you have expected. We do want you to keep us in mind when you head to San Diego, and to take advantage of our other amenities that our hotel has to offer. Such as our heated pool and barbecue set.

We thank you for your feedback on behalf of the Old Town Inn, we would love to welcome you back to come and stay with us here at the Old Town Inn San Diego.

Laura | Guest Services

Reviewed 16 April 2014

My husband and I spent three nights here and were happy with our stay. The staff were very helpful and the breakfast room was full every morning. The rooms were very clean and it was good to have a laundry to do some washing. We were prepared for the location and there always seemed to be people around and we felt safe at night. Our only issue was being in Room 115 which is located on the lower level next to the stairwell we heard noisy people coming and going. They obviously think they are the only ones there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jo-Anne L
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear J-Anne L, Thank you for your great comments on TripAdvisor! We greatly appreciate comments like yours for others to read and decide where to stay during their next visit to San Diego. We are delighted to know you enjoyed and were happy with your accommodations, from the large clean room, friendly outstanding staff service, delicious deluxe breakfast, with so many options, mornings have never been tastier. From wholesome choices like fruits, steel cut Oatmeal, boiled eggs, muffins, coffee, juice, breads, pastries, make your own waffle, milk, juice, cocktail fruits and more, to our central location, We deeply apologize for the noise caused by the other guests, as they used the stairwell.

On your next visit just request a room away from the stairwell or don’t hesitate to call the front desk for any inconvenience caused by other guest. We want our guest to be happy and be able to exceed their expectations.

Thank you again, for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one.