“Great stay. Would come again. Highly recommended.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Old Town Inn

Ranked #19 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Great stay. Would come again. Highly recommended.”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Old town was a lovely Motel with plenty of parking. Very picturesque and everything was spotless and clean. Thank you for the high level of cleanliness you maintain. I think we stayed in an economy double. However it did have a fridge and microwave and coffee making facilities, which we did not use. One thing to bear in mind is that guests from the UK drink mostly tea.

The bathroom had towels and toiletries and a hairdryer and the size of the bathroom is bigger than other motels we have stayed in. The beds are very comfortable and road noises were not bad at all that we got a good night’s sleep. There is aircon in the room.

Public transport is a piece of cake (english expression for easy) it is about 3-5minutes walk from the nearest tram stop (old town transit centre) from here you can get the tram to many places in san diego or many busses. For the San Diego zoo … we did not find it difficult at all… I don’t know what people are complaining about. I think we took the tram to santa fe depot and another tram to near city college stop and after this a bus (I can’t remember the number but the bus is famous for going to the zoo) the bus stop is literally next to the tram stop. And when we got off the tram the bus was right there waiting for us. The driver stopped and told us to get off when we got to the zoo as we had asked him too. And the stop back is just across the road.

I would recommend using public transport as it is cheap in San Diego $5 dollars for a whole day travel... Better than buying singles. i did not find i count not go anywhere without using public transport. The staffs at the front desk are extremely helpful so I think if you have any questions ask them.

The old town tram can also take you to various shopping establishment like mission valley fashion valley. And since the old town stop is so close to the Old Town Inn and the tram will drop you right next to the malls it’s basically a door-door service. I was very happy with that and going shopping and getting back was so simple. The tram can also take you there and back to downtown gas lamp quarter I think it is called where there are many bars to enjoy cocktails in the evening. Again getting back to old town inn was easy.

Breakfast was fabulous. Bagels, hard boiled eggs, cereals, pastries, some fruits. Waffles you can do yourself, tea coffee etc. The ladies at breakfast were friendly, greeted you with a smile so early in the morning and was very prompt at clearing the tables for the next guest. Old town inn also has a pool but we did not try it out as we were too busy sightseeing and eating out. If I ever find myself in San Diego again, not sure that will happen as there are more places I need to see in the world that I have not been to yet, but I definitely would love to stay here again.

Anyone out there reading this considering: well Do not hesitate to book this hotel. It’s clean, pretty, modern, friendly, good location for public transport, good breakfast, and good price. It definitely surpassed my expectations. Thank you old town inn for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sugi g
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for taking the time to write such a candid review about our hotel, and how pleased you were with your visit here at the Old Town Inn San Diego, with our location, staff and hospitality, and our amenities that our hotel has to offer to our guest. You mentioned you stayed in one of our economy rooms; most of our guest does love these rooms. Even thought they do not have as much amenities as our deluxe rooms, they are very cozy, clean, and comfy rooms. By the way we hope on your next visit you would like to stay in our deluxe rooms just in case you do come for a longer stay.

All of our guest do find it very convenient to use our public transportation system, as you stated, and we agree it is very easy access, affordable for an all-day pass, and no hassle with parking, driving and dealing with traffic, and takes you just about anywhere in San Diego. I hope some of our handouts did help you as well with guiding you around San Diego and finding your way around town. We are delighted you enjoyed our breakfast, we do offer a variety of choices, like Oatmeal, cereal, coffee, orange juice; make you own waffle, and more to get our guest in a good start in the morning.

I am glad this was a great delight in your stay here at the Old Town Inn; we hope on your next visit you can enjoy a swim in our heated pool, and some of our guests like to sit out by the pool area and enjoy their breakfast. On that note I do like to say we are a small hotel with a single-minded dedication with a consistent service, quality and value. We believe our AAA 2-diamond hotel is well located, with a friendly atmosphere and with a high standard of cleanliness.
We greatly appreciate, for your feedback and we hope to see you back at the Old Town Inn, lobby soon.

Laura | Guest Services
Visit our Hotel Website or Call Us at (800) 643-3025

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The room was very nice. It was the 'economical' room...no microwave or fridge...but did have a coffee maker. It was clean and comfortable; all we needed since we spent little time there.

Front desk staff were all friendly and helpful.

Included breakfast was great. Hot oatmeal, make-your-own waffles, cold cereals, hard boiled eggs, breads, fruit, various juices, coffee, milk. It was available from 6:30, which allowed us to get an early start to our day.

If you don't have a car, it is awkward for a lengthy stay. The transit centre is close (10 to 15 minute walk), but it took us an hour and a half to get to the San Diego Zoo. The hop-on, hop-off trolley starts in Old Town, which is about a 15 minute walk, and it was great. If we had been more organized, we would have done the zoo in conjunction with this tour because one of the stops is at Balboa Park, which is a short walk to the zoo. If you're comfortable using public transit (trolleys and buses), and would use the hop-on, hop-off tour (I recommend the two-day pass), the location is fine if you don't have a car.

The price was very reasonable.

Overall, I highly recommend the Old Town Inn and would stay there again,

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Janet O
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear Janet, We’re always glad to hear that as one of our guests, you felt like your stay was a good value for the price. I agree that our breakfast (served from 6 am to 10 am) is pretty good, and I’m glad to hear that you found it to your liking. I think our economy rooms are a great choice for guests like you, who are looking for a comfortable room at a very affordable price.

One thing in your review stood out to me; you said it is about a 10 to 15 minute walk to the transit center, but it is only about a 5 minute walk, so I’m not sure how it could have taken you so much longer. It is about a 15 minute walk to pick up the Old Town Trolley Tour, and I think your advice regarding buying a two-day pass for the Trolley Tour to do all your sightseeing is a good one. There are some places (like the zoo) that do take a bit longer to get to on public transit than some people may care to spend. Other locations like the Gaslamp District, Qualcomm Stadium, and Sea World are ideal to get to by public transit because they don’t involve having to make any transfers.

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, your feedback is very valuable to help people get a clear picture of what our hotel is like. We hope to see you again in the future!

*Book Direct with Us - For the Best Service, Selection, and Value!*

Cecily/ Front Desk Agent
Pincher Creek
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This is a absolute must to stay here!!! So close to all transportation you need only a 3 minute walk to, trolleys, busses and trains- which we experienced all.
We are from the Alberta prairies and my husband, and I plus our daughter and her 3 year old son came to San Deigo May 2-7, 2014. We wanted to explore the different beaches,and attractions and not spend alot on taxis so this was the place to stay so it was close for accessing transportation.
Old Town Inn was so clean, beautiful plants and flowers everywhere. The pool was great, free breakfast in the morining with,cereals, muffins, assorted fruit, hot porridge, waffle machine, breads, boiled eggs, very ample and always clean.
The most important part was the beds were comfortable, the room and grounds were clean. The room layout was awesome, we had two queen beds, fridge, microwave. a sink outside of toilet area and then a seperate shower/tub and toilet and sink room.
I dont want to forget about the staff, they were all so friendly and everyone went out of their way to help us with any questions we had of wanting to do different things.Especially Gilda, what a gem of a lady!! We were all sorry our stay was over and will pass on our recommondations to all to stay at Old Town Inn!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 4hfamily
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Old Town Inn San Diego on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to know we were able to make you and your family stay enjoyable here at the Old Town Inn San Diego. I am thrilled that our location worked out perfect, you and your family were able to us the public transportation for your adventure around San Diego. As you stated, a 3 minute walk to the trolley station, it makes our location great and so convenient to all the attractions, and sights to visit in San Diego. We greatly appreciate your comments, regarding your accommodations from the large clean room, friendly outstanding staff service, delicious deluxe breakfast, with so many options, from wholesome choices like fruits steel cut oatmeal, boiled eggs, muffins, coffee, juice, breads, pastries, make your own waffle, milk, cocktail fruits and more.

On your next trip to San Diego you may want to check out our barbeque grill by the pool area, which you and your family can enjoy and even check our free DVD collection, we have available at the front desk along with board games.

It was a pleasure reading your review, and we greatly appreciate your feedback, mostly it was a pleasure to have you and your family as our guests and we hope to see you all again soon!

Mike M| Front Desk Agent
Maryland
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here from 5/4 until 5/8/14. This was our first trip to San Diego (and the West Coast). We picked Old Town Inn because of all the review we found here. We knew from mapquest where it was located (and from reviews) so knew it was located in an industrial area near the transportation center so that was not a surprise at all. What was a surprise was to find a little oasis in the middle of such an industrial area.

The grounds are compact but lovely. The lobby is like walking into someone's living room, comfy and inviting. The pool is really nice with plenty of seating and pretty foliage. We were impressed with the cleanliness of all areas. We booked a king room with sofa and were pleasantly surprised with how big the room was and loved that the bathroom was a bit separated from the sleeping area. Everyone was just so nice and helpful. There is ample free parking and everything is well lite. As for location you really can't beat it. You can be to the beach within 10 minutes, downtown is not much further. The zoo as well. Sea World too. Definitely centrally located to just about everything in San Diego. La Jolla isn't a hop skip and a jump away too. The transportation center is across the street so no need to worry about getting around if you don't have a care (or if you do). I can't say anything about internet service because frankly we stayed totally off the grid while we were on vacation!

The only downside (and I'm not really considering it one since I know where it's located) is that you will hear some traffic noise. We were in a room that was about 5 rooms from the road. I think I heard 3 motorcycles go down the street, two train whistles (which I love....have a love of trains), and you can hear some planes but it's just occasional. I heard this all during the day and while outside....during the evening and while sleeping we didn't hear anything but the hum of the very efficient air conditioner (that was a really nice thing!).

Great job!!!! If we ever get back to San Diego (and I hope it's soon), we'll definitely stay here again.

Tip: If you come out of the motel's parking lot onto Pacific Hwy make the first right on Smith, then the next street (Kurtz), you'll come out onto Rosecrans. Make a left there and you'll find all kinds of things from stores to places to eat.

Room Tip: We asked for a room towards the back but the room we got was about 5 rooms from the road. Honestly...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Carol, Thank you for taking the time to write such a lengthy and informative review. You pointed out one of my favorite things about our hotel, our homey lobby. If you ever come back during cold weather, you may have a chance to enjoy it when we have the fireplace going, which makes things even cozier.

Tripadvisor has been a great asset to us in helping people get an accurate idea of what our hotel is like. We’re so glad that people read about our industrial neighborhood, and know in advance that while the neighborhood may be a little different, we do our best to give great service, and provide very clean and comfortable rooms. As you mentioned, we’re very centrally located to most of San Diego’s major attractions, and very convenient to public transit.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel, and we hope to see you again in the future!

*Book Direct with Us - For the Best Service, Selection, and Value!*

Cecily/ Front Desk Agent
New London, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Old Town Inn from May 1 - 6, 2014. This is not an upscale or elite hotel. In addition, the scenery around the hotel is not aesthetic, because it is located in an industrial area. However, the rooms are super clean, and the grounds are well maintained. Our room was a family suite, which was very large in size. The bedroom was separated from the living room area by a door, if privacy is needed. Some reviews complain about noise. Our suite was located in the rear, so noise was not an issue. The hotel offers a free continental breakfast, which has more than enough to satisfy one's appetite. There is no restaurant on site, but there are numerous restaurants within easy walking distance from the hotel. Furthermore, there is ample free onsite parking that beats the high priced valet parking of the hotels in the downtown area. Every time I am in San Diego, I use the San Diego Trolley as my mode of transportation. The Old Town trolley stop is located diagonally across the street from the hotel, and it is about a 3 minute walk. A good name for this hotel is "The Central Point," because it is centrally located from an point of attraction in the San Diego area. My only minor complaint is the internet service, which is very slow.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William S
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear William, Thank you for your compliments and the great review regarding the Old Town Inn San Diego on TripAdvisor. They are highly appreciated, the Old Town Inn Staff always doing its best to try keeping it looking its best. We do serve free continental breakfast which includes; Oatmeal, fruit, cereal, coffee, delicious orange juice, waffles, and more. Did you know about our movie rental? You look for the movie you wish to watch, come check it out at the front desk and it’s free. We also have board games and books to read, great for families! If you like the book, feel free to take it with you to the room or read at the lobby by the fire place.

The Old Town Inn is located in an industrial area. We are very close to public transportation, freeways, and the famous Old Town. We have a variety of restaurants that deliver to us, just in case you don't want to go out. If you do wish to go out, Old Town has many restaurants. We are located just a few minutes away from Sea World, San Diego Zoo and other attractions. We are sorry you had some troubles. On your next visit, let us know if you are having any issues. We would be more than happy to try to fix them as soon as we can.

Thank you for staying at the Old Town Inn and we look forward to seeing you soon again!

Cesar | Guest Services
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed for two nights at the Old Town Inn. From the start we fell in love with the place. The staff was very kind and gracious. They helped us out by letting us know what was going on at the hotel and in and around San Diego. Great clean room, comfortable beds, fruit water and coffee for free in the lobby, and access to all major areas including the trolley/bus station across the street for public transportation. We highly recommend this place and will stay here again when in town on a visit or vacation. Thank you Old Town Inn!

Stayed May 2014
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for the wonderful review and mentioning our friendly staff, clean rooms and amenities. We truly appreciate your compliments and feedback. We have an amazing frond desk team that is ready to pour out, with all the information you need from directions, to restaurant recommendations, and things to see. I believe we have an answer to just about anything. I’m glad we were able to make a difference during your stay.

I’m glad to hear our location was convenient for you and your family. As you mentioned we are within walking distance to the Old Town Transit Center, where you can catch public transportation to so many attractions throughout San Diego such as the San Diego Zoo, Sea World, Gaslamp Quarter and a lot more.

On your next visit you can also check out our nice outdoor heated pool. We have BBQ grill by the pool that you and your family can enjoy. On the cooler nights you can sit in our nice outdoor heated pool, we have a BBQ grill by the pool that you and your family can enjoy. On the cooler nights you can sit in our lounge lobby area and enjoy a cup of coffee by our fireplace. You can also check out our free DVD collections; we have available along with board games.

It was a pleasure having you as our guest, and we hope to see you in the near future.

Laura | Guest Services
Roseville, California
Reviewed 5 May 2014

After much review, decided on this hotel for a family vacation. It ended up that we rented a total of 4 rooms. Great character, perfect spot, even if it isn't near the ocean. Great savings. Quick walk to Old Town. I would stay here again, for sure.

Room Tip: The older rooms, near the pool have character, and being close to the pool has it's advantages.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for your kind comments on Trip Advisor, It is truly our pleasure to offer our hotel and facilities to you and your family. It’s a pleasure to know all your family members enjoyed their “getaway” stay at the Old Town Inn San Diego. We all here at the Old Town Inn, want to thank you, for choosing our hotel, and how all the previous reviews on Trip Advisor assisted you with your decision making process for your accommodation. I do concur, we are not next to the ocean, however, a 10 minute drive will get you to all the beaches and attractions (San Diego Zoo, Sea World, and Downtown Gaslamp) and a 10 minute walk to all the restaurants and shops in Old Town.

Thank you again, we understand you have many choices when it comes to hotel stays; we are exited you chose us for you and your family visit to Old Town San Diego for your recent stay, and we hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one.

Mike M| Front Desk Agent