“Back again with the whole family.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Old Town Inn

Ranked #19 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Tucson, Arizona
“Back again with the whole family.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

WE decided to skip Disneyland this year, " moaning from the kids " One of the places my wife and I went to celebrate our 50th Anniversary in 2013 was Sea World San Diego. It's been years since we've been there and decided we would take our grand kids and great grand kids and parents. My oldest daughter is an educator and thought she had to be back in Tucson on a particular day, but she found out she did not have to. The reservations for 3 rooms and 2 nights there at Old town Inn were made in February for May 30 thru June 1st . I called Anna 2 days before we were expected to arrive to ask her if we could have accomodations for an extra night.
As she put it," let me wave my magic wand " NO PROBLEM !!! They always put out the red carpet for us and thats why so many travelers stay there and all there rooms are occupied. Fantastic atmosphere, breakfast, maids, rooms, staff, especially Anna and the manager Beatrice.
My wife loves it so much that she would take a drive to San Diego just to stay there.
The location is centrally located to everything, the trolley, Old Town, restaurants, shopping centers, etc.

Room Tip: When we have the grand children with us on some trips we stay in the Bungalow, just steps from the p...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Louie C
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Louie C, Welcome back to the Old Town Inn San Diego, it is always great to have you and your wife as our guest, and to hear how we have been consistent in providing great service again and again. Thank you for mentioning two of our valued associates. The rest of the front desk team feels the same way. They are awesome! I am delighted that Anna and Beatriz were able to take care of your request for the additional night stay. They are very important to the great customer service we provide.

Thank you for your continued support and of course your business. I am so glad that you and your family decided to skip Disneyland and decided to take your, daughter and grand kids to Sea World. I hope you bought your Sea World tickets at the front desk, which we sale discounted to our guest, instead of paying the full price at the entrance.

Wow, that is awesome! To know how much your wife loves to stay with us at the Old Town Inn. It show how serious we are about customer service and how we take great pride in making sure that our guests are taken care of. I am thrilled that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us every time you are in San Diego and we were able to deliver again and again.

It was a great pleasure to have had you and your family as our guest again, and we look forward to see you soon again at the Old Town Inn lobby.

Visit our Hotel Website or Call Us at (800) 643-3025

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
La Vergne, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

This was a great place to stay, the only thing that would have made it better is if it was closer to downtown (of course you'd be paying twice as much also). But it has a nice, quiet (considering it's on a main road) centralized location. With Old Town directly across the street, we simply caught the trolley downtown, and didn't fuss with the taffic and/or parking meters. The room was immaculate and beds were made fresh every day of our visit. Staff was very helpful and friendly. There just isn't a bad thing to say about it. My wife who was born and bred in TN couldn't get over how clean San Diego itself is. She's already trying to talk me into going back in Sept. If you like Mexican food, anything across the street (in Old Town) will serve your needs, we liked Coyote Cafe...seafood, we preferred The Fish Market (we ate there twice for dinner) downtown near Seaport Villiage and for italian we went to Little Italy and ate ate Fillipi's and had a great lasagna/ravioli dinner with a sausage and a meatball the size of a baseball...YUMMY. And as I stated earlier, it is all easily accessable by riding the trolley, again, right across the street. We will definitely be back again, maybe not in Sept. but soon just the same!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donald S
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Donald S, Thank you for your great comments on Trip Advisor regarding the Old Town Inn San Diego. I’m very happy that your experience was enjoyable with us. I do concur with you as other guests; our hotel is very clean quiet, with exceptional friendly staff. The location; cannot be beat, we are not only in Old Town, but right next to the public transit station and many don’t realize how close we are to the rest of San Diego. A 10 short minute’s drive or a 20 minute trolley ride to Downtown, Sea World and San Diego Zoo, while being here at the historical Old Town where you can experience the best Mexican cuisine.

Thank you for noticing, how clean San Diego is, we here in San Diego take great pride in keeping our city clean with all the amazing things to do all around the city.

Thank you for choosing the Old Town Inn and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found our facilities warm and clean. On your next visit, book directly with us by going to our website or by calling the front desk, we strive to offer the best personal service four our guest. We have many room types that are not always available on our booking partner’s website.
It was a great pleasure to have had you as our guest, and we look forward to see you soon again at the Old Town Inn lobby.

Camarillo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We came down on Amtrak from Ventura county, arrived at around 1 pm, and our rooms were ready. Staff were courteous and helpful. The Inn is very close (5 min walk) to the transit center where you can go everywhere by trolley or bus. San Diego has an amazing transportation system.

A previous reviewer mentioned a liquor store -- We never noticed one -- maybe we missed it or maybe they had a car. We didn't have a car, having arrived by Amtrak. We saw no place nearby to buy anything unless you are prepared to walk perhaps 1/2 a mile or more. We were a group of 7, and we brought along some snacks. But there are plenty of restaurants and bars in nearby Old Town or you can take a trolley to a market if you don't have a car.

The rooms were small and clean with microwave and fridge. We were on the bottom floor and the floorboards creaked loudly -- just an FYI to the management who might want to repair them. There is no Jacuzzi, but the pool was warm and refreshing. There's a nice breakfast room with the usual offerings.

Bottom line: we would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank camamare
Austin, Tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were there for Marine Boot Camp graduation. It was probably 7min at the most from the gate. Old Town was also within walking distance but we chose to drive there since we hung out late. Around the corner is a liquor store which is basically what we call here in Texas a convenience store. Since the room has a refrigerator (and microwave) I wanted to buy some beer and soft drinks. I went to the Chevron around the corner and they did not sell beer, I went to Walgreens across the street from the Chevron and they don't sell beer, so I ended up at the liquor store that was just like a 7-11. There is also a Target on that same street if you need a store like that too. The room was very clean. I never heard any highway traffic which is really more like a 6 lane city street. The road was never busy. When we arrived about 2:30pm our room was ready. Clean and spacious. We had the 1 king bed. Nice TV and AC worked great. The one thing I must mention, not a deal breaker for me, is the shower head only came to my shoulders. I am 5'10 so I had to duck to shampoo my hair. Just thought I would mention it. The grounds and area was very well kept. The breakfast was ok. I would have preferred scrambled eggs and bacon. They had hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, pastries, cereal and oatmeal. You can make your own waffles. The staff was extremely friendly. We could not go in the lobby without being greeted by the friendly staff. I would have no problems coming back to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 1Longhorns1
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear valued guest, we greatly appreciate your feedback. We are all about guest satisfaction and we tend to rate highly with guest who wants to get the most of their dollar, value cleanliness and appreciate genuine hospitality. Our hotel is very well located in a friendly and clean environment. We are 2 mils from MCRD and we do provide MCRD information at the front desk if needed like directions how to get there and help the family to schedule their parking and shuttle services. We are proud to have the Marines family stay with us. We are less than a 5 min walk from a convenience store called “fuller liquor store” located on the left hand side of the hotel. This liquor store provided the essentials of a liquor store alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, chips, candy, lotto tickets and more. We are also less than 10 min driving distance from local services. We do provide walking and driving directions to the locations from our hotel.

Our hotel is quiet there is traffic but it tends to die down around 5 pm witch is good for our guest. Our housekeeping team does an amazing job on getting the room ready in a timely manner so we are able to check in our guest just as soon as they walk in the door. All of our rooms do have a 42” flat screen T.V, DVD player, and AC. We are aware that the shower heads are a little too short for some of our guest and we are currently working on the problem. We do apologize for the inconvenience you may have had. As of now we have remodeled some of the deluxe bathrooms with a much taller shower head that can accommodate our guest, the project will take us a little longer than we anticipated due to how busy we have been and will be.

As a family owned hotel the owners do take great pride in keeping the hotel and grounds clean and well kept. They personally keep an eye and I would even say they have a green thumb. We provide a free continental breakfast serve daily from 6 am to 10 am. We do have in mind that our guest would love hot items in the breakfast menu, as of now we are thinking of ways to bring those items in the near feature.

We would love to have you back soon. When you are ready to book your room, visit our website for the best room type and value. Don’t hesitate to call or email us, we strive to offer the best personal service and value to our guest.

Alex| Front Desk Agent
San Pedro, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

When we checked in there was a sign saying the water was turned off till 5pm.i feel they shoulda told me that before.anyways,we waited to shower and went on with our day.it seems they are doing remolding ,another thing I felt I shoulda been told about,seeing how they were working really close to our room,and we heard them early in the morning both days we were there. The room was clean but on the older side.,the area seemed safe. Had I known about the workers and what not I probably woul have stayed some where else.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dianna S
Lis D, Customer Care at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest - I want to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay with us. Our goal is to exceed every guest’s expectations and we take it very seriously when we fail.

We just completed some bathroom renovations that we are very excited about. That being said, your comments brought to our attention an area that we can improve on, namely, doing a better job of informing our guests of renovation projects that may cause some disruptions during their stay. We are truly sorry for the inconvenience you experienced, please know that we are making changes to improve in this area.

You are a valued guest and we hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Lis D | Customer Care
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights. When I first booked this place I asked if the traffic noise from the Highway was a problem. I was told they are far back from the Highway and it was not a problem. When I arrived I noticed they are right on a 6 lane Highway. As someone who does not sleep well in noisy places this was a problem for me. The windows are not double glazed.

Unfortunately I was unlucky to have the next door neighbours from hell as well on 2 nights in a row.
I will say on a positive note that the service is nice as is the heated pool and there is also a DVD free hire service.
The breakfast is ok, nothing exceptional.
The location to the Old Town and public transport to downtown is what is probably the biggest plus for this hotel.

Overall I would not stay here again but I did like Old Town and San Diego very much.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back away from the 6 Lane Highway.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Lis D, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest – we were very sorry to read this review. Our goal is to exceed every guest’s expectations and we take it very seriously when we fail.

I’m sorry for the misunderstanding about our location. We do our best to familiarize our guests with our location on our website, including a lovely map showing our relation to the Old Town State Park and other major attractions, and we mention frequently in our TripAdvisor responses the nature of our location. I want to add that though Pacific Hwy. is a well-traveled road during daylight hours, we have found that the traffic does subside significantly after 6 p.m.

We were very sorry to learn about the trouble you experienced from a neighboring guest. That certainly can be upsetting. We do our best to see that unnecessary disturbances are avoided. On your next stay, here or at any other hotel, please notify Front Desk of any undue commotion immediately, this way we have the opportunity to politely ask these guests to quiet down.

We thank you for the nice words about our staff and our amenities. We are a small hotel with a single-minded dedication to consistent service, quality, and value. We believe our AAA 2-diamond hotel is well located, friendly and very clean. We do hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Lis| Customer Service
Fremont, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

A few years ago I stumbled onto this Hotel while looking for an affordable and clean place to stay while watching the SF Giants play the SD Padres. The Hotel is right across the street from Historical Old Town and the trolley going into down town San Diego. You are also not too far from the beach. This is a smaller Hotel but do not let that fool you they have it down on how to treat guests - The staff is WONDERFUL! This is a older establishment but do not let that stop you from staying here. It is well kept up, simple, CLEAN and the grounds around the Hotel are pristine (there gardener has ALOT of pride!). Thumbs up to this place. we have stayed here 2 times already and my husband I will be staying here again in Sept of 2014 - GO SF GIANTS!

Room Tip: Any room is a good location
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank SweetSee
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for choosing the Old Town Inn again and again when, ever you are in town. It is always a pleasure to have you as our guest. The Old Town Inn is so perfect for those willing to adventure out and about San Diego, by public transportation, car or a 5 minute walk to the historical Old Town. The Old Town Inn is a small and family owned hotel; the owners take great pride, in taking care of the property. The front Desk and housekeeping team provide the best service, because we believe in treating our guest like family, welcoming them and make them feel at home.

We do appreciate that you mentioned our flourishing grounds. A lot of care goes into the landscaping of the property, and we love it when our guests notice! Pascual, Old Town Inn’s landscaper, is extremely talented (as you can see). Without Pascual’s hard work, the Old Town Inn would not be anywhere near the inviting, lush, and tropical place it is now.

We strive to offer the best personal service for our guest, book directly with us by going to our website or by calling the front desk. We have many room types that are not always available on our booking partner’s website. Like our deluxe rooms that have a bath tub with two Queen Beds also available with Mini fridge and microwave or efficiency kitchen, or a room with a king size bed sofa sitting area mini fridge and microwave.

Welcome back to the Old Town Inn and for the great review. We greatly appreciate your feedback, mostly it was a pleasure to have you again as our guest, and we hope to see you again soon!