“Comfortable Stay”
Review of Old Town Inn

Ranked #9 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We checked out yesterday morning. We stayed 3 nights in the hotel. We felt it was a perfect location. The front desk staff were very professional and accomodating. They had flyers with directions and phone numbers to anything we could have needed such as grocery stores, and pharmacies.

Just a short walk to Old Towne. Very convenient and a short drive to Seaworld and the Zoo.

Breakfast was perfect.

Very nice to have two sinks. We appreciated the note that said they would supplies us with any toiletries we may have forgotten.

Also appreciated were the coupons for appetizers at Cafe Coyote and the recommendation @ Pizza Bella. Delicious.

Great value.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest -Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate the time taken to review the Old Town Inn San Diego. We are a small hotel with a single minded dedication to consistent service quality, and value. We believe our AAA-2 diamond hotel is well located, friendly and very clean, our customer service is our #1 goal. I am glad our handouts, we provided to you were helpful and less complicated; we make it easy as possible for our guest to get around town and get familiar with the area. Such as our city maps along with our written instructions how to get to the popular attractions around San Diego. We do have our handouts for those traveling without a car. We are more than happy to make sure you arrive to your destinations without getting lost.

The Old Town inn is centrally located; guest as your selves finds our location to be a big Plus, of how to get around San Diego. We hope while visiting some of the attractions you took advantage of our discounted tickets that we sale at the front desk for SeaWorld, and Zoo Deluxe tickets. The recommendations for restaurants that we give to our guest to eat are some of our favorite foods. Living in San Diego all my life I sure do have some favorite’s restaurants to share with our guests. We all love good food so we believe we have good recommendations for just about any food you are in the mood for.

I like to welcome you back to stay with us in future visits to San Diego, we do always want you to keep us in mind and glad we made your stay comfortable as if you were home away from home.

*Book Direct with Us- For the Best Service, Selection, and Value!*

Yours in Hospitality

Laura/Front Desk Agent

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Convenient location near Old Town and very near trolley station for easy travel around the city. Purpose of our trip was a series of college tours - very close to USD (about 2 miles) and about 9-10 miles to UCSD and SDSU. Very nice front desk personnel, very comfortable bed. Comfortable accommodations and reasonably priced comparatively speaking. Plenty of eateries and shopping are within about 1/2 mile. Enjoyed and would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest-Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful review with our Trip Advisor Community, we greatly appreciate your feedback. I’m glad you found our hotel to be very convenient and easy to travel to and from on public transportation. Being 2.5 blocks (4-5 minutes) from the trolley station is a big plus to avoid the hassle of driving and finding parking throughout San Diego.

Our Front Desk staff has a list of “how to get to” directions by public transportation and car, along with great tips of what to see, things to do, and great breakfast, lunch and dinner recommendations. We are a small hotel with a single-minded dedication with consistent service, quality and value. We believe our AAA 2-diamond hotel is well located, friendly and very clean. I am glad to hear we completed what we strive to provide to all guest, cleanliness, genuine hospitality, quality accommodations and comfort, all at an affordable price.

Our daily continental breakfast is one of our many free amenities we offer. With freshly baked pastries delivered daily, make your own waffles, cereal, orange juice, hot cocoa, coffee, tea, water, fruit cocktail, and our famous Steel Cut oatmeal. We also offer Free Parking, Free DVD rentals, Outdoor Heated pool, and 24-hour Front Desk personnel.

Congratulations on the new college attendee we are glad San Diego will be your new home. With plenty visits to come, don’t hesitate to call us directly for reservations, it will be our pleasure to have you back at our Inn. Thank you again for staying with us, we are looking forward to serving you in the near future.

Gilda | Front Desk Agent

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed at the Old Town Inn from July 31 to August 5. We had rented a family suite with a kitchenette.

We arrived early in the afternoon and while our room was not ready, the front desk agreed to keep our food in a refrigerator and provided us with a parking space until we could check-in.

The breakfast was OK, but far from great. We liked the waffle makers and the whole fruits, but the hard boiled eggs were overcooked and the bread and pastries were sometimes not fresh. The breakfast could be improved by providing scrambled eggs and a choice of yogurts.

The room was fairly clean, but the carpet and furniture is old and outdated. We also found the room really dark. We appreciated the kitchenette, although the fridge and sink are very small. The fact that the vanity area is located outside the bathroom is very convenient when traveling as a family. We had ants in our room (on the vanity and around the kitchen sink) which we reported to the front desk on the second day of our stay. The hotel was full and they could not accommodate us with another room. The only thing they could offer was to spray our room with chemicals...which I refused. The front desk and manager told us many times that this was the FIRST time clients had reported ants. I am very disappointed to see that this is not true as other clients reported the same problem recently.

The location is perfect. The hotel is located right across from the trolley and bus station, which can take you to the Zoo, Seaworld, Gaslamp quarter in no time.

Overall, the hotel and property is clean and perfectly located for visiting San Diego and its many attractions. The Old Town Inn is however not a good choice for guests or families who are planning on spending a lot of time at the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Lis D, Customer Service at Old Town Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest –Thank you for mentioning what you enjoyed about your stay; your compliments are appreciated. I am truly sorry that your experience was not what you had hoped. Our goal is to exceed every guest’s expectations, and we take it very seriously when we fail.

It is sometimes a challenge to set the right expectations for our guests. I think we do a pretty good job on our website, and the majority of our guests have written honest reviews about their experience with us, what makes us standout from the rest and why they rate us so highly on TripAdvisor. We are a modest, family-owned, AAA 2-diamond hotel. We are not everyone’s cup of tea, but we tend to rate highly with guests who want to get the most for their dollar, value cleanliness, appreciate genuine hospitality and have done their research.

In regards to the ant issue, you were actually the first guests who brought up the issue of ants to us. Yes, somebody else mentioned this on a recent TripAdvisor review, but that guest mentioned the issue after you. When we first learned about the problem, we immediately got on the phone with our pest control company to schedule service as soon as possible. We are very sorry that you had to encounter this problem in your room.

As we mentioned in the previous review, we work very hard at keeping pests out of our rooms; we know how important cleanliness is to our guests. We have a service that makes regular visits to help control pests. We inspect our rooms constantly. We try to do everything we can to make sure our guests don’t have to face these pests. We are very sorry that we failed in this instance, but it certainly wasn’t for a lack of effort. We did extend a discount to your total stay to help mitigate the inconvenience you experienced.

We strive to provide a great stay for each of our guests – we were disappointed that we were not able to accomplish that in this instance.

You are a valued guest, and we hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Lis | Customer Service

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My family and I stayed here during our California trip week of July 14, 2014. Very nice hotel. Courteous and professional front desk. The location was very good to get to Old Town as well as Coronado and the beaches. The pool area was amazing. The breakfast room was organized and clean. The food was great. I wish we could have stayed longer. San Diego is such a beautiful city and deserves to be explored much more.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ohiopapatraveler
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Ohiopapatraveler- I am delighted to know you and your family enjoyed your stay at the Old Town Inn San Diego, and we were able to meet your expectations.

We do appreciate the feedback and the wonderful complements regarding our location, a short walk or drive-our great location makes us so convenient to all the attractions, events and sights you can visit. We really appreciate hearing from you and your family that the accommodations and the amenities that our hotel has to offer was a great fit for you.

Thank you for the positive comments regarding our cleanliness, breakfast as well our customer service. We are delighted to know our location, worked out for you, specially being so close to all the attractions and the historical Old Town San Diego.

On your next visit, book directly with us by going to our website or by calling the front desk, we strive to offer the best personal service four our guest. We have many room types that are not always available on our booking partner’s website.

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Old Town Inn and for the great review. It was a great pleasure to have had you as our guest, and we look forward to see you soon again in the near future.

Mike M| Front Desk Agent

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We recently stayed at Old Town Inn with our two grandchildren, ages 8 and 12. The entire stay was delightful, starting with the friendly staff at check-in and the extremely clean and comfortable room. We appreciated the breakfast offerings, and found that the swimming pool was a real highlight. The kids enjoyed the pool while we relaxed at the end of a day of theme parks. The location on Pacific Highway helped us to get around town easily, and the short walk to Old Town was a plus. SeaWorld truly was just a few minutes away.

Room Tip: Our room, which included a kitchenette, was clean, quiet, and just large enough to be comfortable.
1  Thank brunpat
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest, Thank you for the time taken to review the Old Town Inn San Diego, your honest feedback is very important to us. We are delighted to read you and your entire family enjoyed your accommodations and amenities, from check in until the end of your stay.

Our goal is to provide great, customer service, clean comfortable rooms, invading atmosphere and our guest to comes first. Especially when it comes to the check in, it is our first impression to shine and welcome our guest with a warm smile. I do have to say I myself have stayed in other hotels and we have a great variety of foods to offer for breakfast to get our guest to start of the day and it’s quit fulfilling.

It is a delight, to know the entire family, enjoyed the pool and you were able to relax, while the kids enjoyed a swim after a long day from the theme parks. On your next visit, you and your family can use our grill at the pool area and enjoy an evening dinner and on the other note you can rent a free DVD movie at the front desk and $1.00 popcorn to end the day.

I am glad to hear that you and your family found our hotel to be well located to easily get to everything in San Diego. One of the best attractions, Historic Old Town State Park, is a quick 10 minute walk from the Old Town Inn!

Thank you again, for sharing your experience, and we hope to see you and your family at the Old Town Inn lobby soon.

Laura| Front Desk Agent

Reviewed 8 August 2014

After I made the reservation, I called to ask a few questions. The lady on the phone must be busy at the time (about 10pm), for she gave me a heavy sign when I asked the third question. We arrived late at night, and there were no parking space left. Luckily a few employees were leaving, so we were able to take one of their spaces. The staff was nice but has room for improvement. I stopped by the front desk 3 times for different inquires, and two of the three times I felt like a bother. However, Laura at the front desk was the best of them all. I felt welcomed when I approached her. She was very accommodating, professional and friendly. I wished she was my check-in agent, then my review would be a lot different.

The breakfast was good but not great. I like the steel cut oatmeal, the waffle makers, and pastry selections. However, as a steel cute oatmeal lover, it was too dry and raw for me. It would be better if there were hot items, but no biggie. One thing I noticed was the the employees were getting breakfast from there too, which I don't mind, but I did not enjoy being cut or rushed by them. I don't feel it's their fault, for they probably have only a short time to enjoy their food. I think the management should provide them their own portion of food in a separate room, where they are able to enjoy without fighting with 30 just woke up on vacation mode paying guests.

The room was clean but feel old and outdated. I like the fridge and microwave feature. I also like there is a vanity area right outside the bathroom with a sink. There is another sink inside the bathroom. There were ants crawling around the sink area, but understandable since it rained for a few days before we arrived. The worst thing about my experience was the bed. It was too soft. I sunk in and felt hard to get up just by sitting on it. I also don't like the fact that they would charge me for a crib, so I brought my own pack n play.

The location was great. 4 miles to Sea World, 5 miles to zoo. Right by the old town with many good restaurants around.

All in all, this is a not-bad hotel. Will I stay there again? Maybe, if the price is right, but I would try to find something else first.

1  Thank AJRose
OTICustomerCare, General Manager at Old Town Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest – we were very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. We do believe we have some of the kindest, most dedicated employees in the business.

We will take a closer look at the quality of our steel cut oatmeal and see if there is anything we can improve. We started offering oatmeal earlier in the year, after extensive testing, we settled on this recipe based on our guests’ response.

I want to apologize for the situation with our employees getting breakfast. We will be addressing this matter with our staff. Our employees usually arrive ready to work, but sometimes when they have a few minutes before starting their work day, they will enjoy coffee and pastries. We have always been flexible in this area because we truly appreciate their dedication and hard-work, but we will definitely be speaking with them about being conscious of our guests’ time and comfort.

In regards to the ants, I have to say, we work very hard at keeping pests out of our rooms; we know how important cleanliness is to our guests. Unfortunately, this is the season for ants in California and our pest control company is spraying frequently. We just finished a round of treatment around the property (inside our guestrooms and outside), and are getting ready to start another treatment. We are monitoring this problem closely. We are very sorry that you had to encounter this problem in your room.

I was saddened to read that you found our beds so uncomfortable. We tested a lot of beds until we decided to go with the top of the line Simmons Beauty-rest Pillow-top Mattresses. Their pocketed coil springs are small, individually wrapped, strong and durable. These mattresses also have layers and layers of cushioning foam. Most of our guests love them but as you can imagine, it’s very hard to get the beds just right in a hotel because everyone has their own preference. We are committed to finding this particular bed though, and if it needs to be replaced we will do so.

We appreciate the time you took to review your stay. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Beatriz | General Manager

Reviewed 8 August 2014

On Sunday July 20 th I checked into this beautiful hotel I want to begin by thanking the entire hotel staff for taking wonderful care of my disabled friend Linda fox she really enjoyed her room they set her up with
This year the hotel was in the real comic con mode by wearing superhero shirts and masks my room had a super cool air conditioner which I had a good nights sleep
Other than attending the comic con and getting tons of media attention in my custom made costumes the most exciting part of this trip was getting to throw a wine tasting birthday party for my comic con sister Liza rios
The general hotel manager Beatriz had a refrigerator put in my hotel room yo keep the wine and birthday cake cold and Alex the front desk clerk supplied us with wine glasses and birthday candles and plastic ware and they even took care of my buddy Mario who bunked with me and my other buddy scott Addison who lucked out and got tickets to comic con
I'm forever grateful to the entire hotel staff for going out on a limb for me

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank tomatocfa
OTICustomerCare, Front Desk Agent at Old Town Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

Dear Tom- It is our pleasure seeing you every year and having you as our beloved guest here at the Old Town Inn, for this incredible event held every year. It is always so nice meeting your new friends as well every year. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and your feedback is very important to us. You make the comic con event so interesting; and thank you for sharing your unique costumes with us. You are always full of surprises but this year’s costume was fantastic. I am glad we were able to help you with your surprise party and be able to provide you with a refrigerator in your room. We are delighted to know the Old Town Inn is always your number one on your list for accommodation every year. Trip Advisor is all about guest satisfaction, and we tend to rate highly with guests who want to get the most for their dollar, value, cleanliness, and who appreciate genuine hospitality. We love you tom take care, till next year from everyone here at the Old Town Inn staff.

* Book Direct with us - For the Best Service, Selection and Value!*