“Great location, reasonably priced.”
Review of Old Town Inn

and 1 more site!
Old Town Inn
Ranked #19 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Great location, reasonably priced.”
Reviewed 25 April 2010

We recently stayed at this lovely Old Town Inn March 2010, this being the start of our three week vacation. The location was perfect, easy access to the trolley and buses for down town San Diego so a car was not really needed. Staff were friendly and more than helpful especially Anna the office Manager who was a credit to the company l. We would definately use this charming place again and would highly recommend this to all.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pat-hopper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Oxnard
Reviewed 17 April 2010

After a very grueling drive, we arrived late in the evening and was very surprised. The surrounding area looked a little industrial. From the moment we checked in we were met with a very pleasant young man at the front desk. So very happy that even though we were on second floor, there was an elevator. The room very very clean. No smell of cigarettes. There was no noise. The next morning the morning employees, were very pleasant. The cleaning ladies helped me to the elevator with my luggage. The breakfast was just what we all needed. The other guests seemed just as pleased as we were. We had 14 family and friends all staying there for my nephews graduation from Marine Boot Camp.. I would recommend this Inn to all who are traveling with or without children.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Cheri416
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2010

My family (2 adults and 3 young kids) has just completed a month's travel through California & Las Vegas and stayed 4 nights at the Old Town Inn, San Diego. We stayed in a 1 bedroom Family Room consisting of 2 queen beds + sofa bed, kitchen and (small) dining table, lounge room, etc.

Positives:
First impressions were a little deceiving. This hotel isn’t much to look at – it is situated in what appears to be an industrial area that, at first glance, seems to be in the middle of nowhere. However, the location turned out to be a good one in that it is just 10 minutes walk to major shops and restaurants, 5 minutes walk to Old Town Historic Park(including the hop-on hop-off orange trolley car terminal), a 3 minute walk to San Diego’s major public transport hub from where buses and trains depart regularly (meaning easy access to the Zoo, Seaworld, downtown, etc).

The room was quite spacious and clean, and the beds were comfortable enough. Car parking is free. Staff were very friendly and always keen to assist. Maps were available, as was a 1 pager providing tips on public transport, locations of nearby grocery stores/pharmacies/etc, and other useful information. But it was the little extras that made this hotel one that I would gladly stay at again.

The continental breakfast lacked nothing – we couldn’t have asked for more in terms of variety and quality. The hotel provided free DVDs and board games for guests (a great bonus when you’ve got young children). There was free computer and internet access in the lobby area, which also provided free coffee throughout the evening, as well as a sofa (with fire-place), newspapers and books to read. On request, a full box of kitchen utensils and equipment was delivered to our room, meaning that we could cook dinner rather than having to dine out every night

Negatives:
The family rooms are located in the rear corners of the main building, and lacked any natural light, even in the middle of the day. Furniture was a little outdated, and at times the room had a bit of a musty smell to it.

Summary:
The Old Town Inn is not a luxury hotel – in fact its rooms are quite basic. But it is neat and clean, and its family suite was clean, spaciious and contained everything our family needed. I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank PerroGrande
Grand Bend, Canada
Reviewed 8 April 2010

Great staff that are genuinely interested in helping guests. Walking distance to Old Town and trolley to Gaslamp district. Very nice clean hotel and the rooms are very large. Good breakfast included. Although it is located on a fairly busy road we did not hear any noise. We would stay here again.

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 5 April 2010

My wife and I have travelled to San Diego about once every month or two for the last 3 years, and we've stayed mainly in chain hotels. After reviewing the reviews on this and another non-chain hotel (in La Jolla), we decided to branch out and try both over the long Easter weekend. We booked the first night at Old Town Inn and 2 nights in the other hotel. After spending one night in each hotel, we checked out of the second hotel (even though we had to pay for the second night there) just so we could check back in to the Old Town Inn.

Everything good about this hotel has already been said, and I agree. You can definitely tell the owners and employees care for this hotel - from the clean rooms to the awesome customer service. Every time I saw one fo the OTI employees, they greeted us with a smile and some sort of kind greeting. For me, it was the little things that put this hotel WAY over the top. Each room had a small fridge AND a microwave. Although we didn't use either (because we aren't used to having them in our rooms in the chain hotels), it is now something we can keep in mind on our next trip.

The breakfast is basic, but they provide the make-your-own-waffle stand, which is just a great touch. The bedding and linens show their wear, but are clean and neat. The first room we stayed in had 2 queen beds which happened to be much more comfortable than the king we got on our return - but both were miles more comfortable than the other hotel we stayed in. I have nothing but more praise for this hotel, but it will be continuing to repeat all the other good things everyone else has already said. STAY HERE when you're in town - you won't be disapopinted (and it's convenient to EVERYTHING, even though it is not in a prestigious area of town). Oh, and the rooms are quite large too.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank europeluver
St Paul, MN
Reviewed 30 March 2010

If you travel as much as we do, you too will find Old Town Inn at 4444 Pacific Highway (I give the address so as not to confuse it with any other Old Town hotel) the respectable, quality hotel that has the rare "customer first" attitude many other hotels these days do not. We stayed here last year (March 2009) and booked to stay again this year (March 2010) and the quality and service has not changed. If anything, the hotel has improved. We had an unusual traveling situation (we were flying standby from overseas) and so were not able to pinpoint a definite time for arrival/departure. Not only did Beatriz and other hotel staff members help us with rental car and taxi information, they also held our room and did not blink an eye to many last minute changes we had to make due to our standby status at the airport changing frequently. We never got an endless ring or a busy tone, a re-routing of our call to a main office somewhere out of state while making/changing reservations, and we were never put into "hold heaven" each phone call we made. Our calls were answered within a few rings, the staff (especially Beatriz) was courteous and understanding with our changes, and professional. They EVEN called us back to let us know our room was ready EARLY, along with suggestions of a quieter room they had off the highway side!! Wow. It is a bit older facility, but certainly not in its pride in ownership and management. The grounds are impeccable, the pool surrounded with pretty bushes and flowers, and the rooms clean, comfortable and spacious. Though not in "hot spot" locations other popular, familiar-named hotels tout, Old Town Inn is MORE conveniently located, in our opinion. It is an oasis in an otherwise not so "bling bling," stuffy city location. When freeways and highways in downtown, airport, and Gaslamp Quarter areas get congested with traffic (often) you will wish you never parked a car (and paid a daily fee for doing so!) at a hotel other than one positioned like where the Old Town Inn is. Its Pacific Highway location is this hotel's best kept secret, especially when pressed for time to get to and from the airport and car rental pick up/drop off locations in a hurry. It also is a short walk from the lobby of the hotel to the bus/shuttle/trolley station in Old Town. The rates are remarkably affordable for such a great location. Though along the road, past the bus station, and then down under a highway tunnel, we felt safe (even at night) in walking, as a family, from our room to Old Town (great restaurants, stores, and nice town to enjoy and walk through!) We give 5 stars in all areas to this respectable, family-oriented, professionally run, and "customer first" attitude hotel. We WILL go back!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Sacramento
Reviewed 26 March 2010

I love, love this hotel. I was a little reluctant because it wasn't a hotel chain but boy was I in for a treat. I accidentally booked a smoking room and I asked the lady behind the counter if there was any way I could get a non-smoking room. She ended up giving me an upgrade free of charge because it was the only non-smoking room available. She also decided to make my room an upstairs room due to the fact I was a solo female(safety reasons). I didn't even think of that. I asked where I could get a decent mexican meal and she gladly reccommended a place that was more than decent. She even gave me a map of old town and marked the directions out for me. The customer service was first class. The location was also excellent. It was five minutes from EVERYTHING!!!! My only gripe and it really wasn't that big of a deal compared to everything else is the bed wasn't very comfortable and the pillows were not very solid. I will definitely be back!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business