“Suited Us Just Fine”
Review of Old Town Inn

Old Town Inn
Ranked #9 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 20 March 2007

We were looking for a nice, small hotel close to the Sports Arena, as we were in San Diego for one night only for a concert there. The staff was friendly & efficient, the room was clean & relatively quiet. The free breakfast was more than sufficient. The location was very convenient to the freeway & the Arena, as well as countless dinner choices. All in all, it was a very pleasant stay, & a great value.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank escondido
Write a ReviewReviews (1,942)

Reviewed 14 March 2007

I'd never been to San Diego before. I found the Old Town Inn by looking at reviews on various websites. Overall, I was very pleased. with my stay.

When we first approached the hotel, I was concerned because it seemed to be in an area almost under the highway, but it's really not, and the location was actually very convenient. We could walk to Old Town for dinner, and the central location was great for driving to the zoo, Coranado, and a wedding we attended on Vacation Island.

When we pulled up to the hotel itself, I sensed that it would be a nice place. The buildings are nicely designed and have a cheery but homey look to them.

The staff members were helpful and very sweet. They recommended a good pedicure place and a fun (though not superb) Mexican restaurant. They also sold us discounted tickets to the zoo (which was great, by the way.)

The complimentary breakfast --waffles, choices of cereal, danish, some fruit, etc.-- was filling and pretty decent though not excellent (the fruit wasn't great, just some apples and oranges, but I'm kind of a food snob so don't weigh my view on this too heavily) . The little dining room was light and cheery, and the pool is nice too.

While not super-fancy, the rooms were clean and tasteful. The linens were good, though not luxurious. The toiletries (soap, shampoo, etc.) were probably the only disappointment, but, like lots of people, I'd brought my own anyway. The towels were more than ample.

I would definitely return to the Old Town Inn. Although the rooms do not come equipped with luxuries (no mints on the pillows or fancy soaps), everything they do provide is very nice, and the staff was lovely. It is an excellent choice for the price.

Stayed: March 2007
8  Thank corona_del_mar2007
Reviewed 27 February 2007

We stayed at the Inn for three nights after having stayed at the Candy Cane Inn( which we loved) in Anaheim for 7 nights. The rooms were pleasant however they were lacking many items. There was no fridge, safe and the rollaway bed they brought us was probably thirty years old.

The staff was pleasant when we booked in, gave us great maps for getting around and arranged for us to have extra pillows and blankets. Our room was near the road and we heard everything. Unless we had the air conditioning on high we had a hard time sleeping. I slept well in Anaheim but after the second night at the Old Town Inn both my husband and I had sore backs. I was tired after sleeping at the Inn. The rooms were clean and nicely appointed, however our rollaway bed was never made the three nights we spent there.

The breakfast was just okay, the first morning we had to go find staff to restock as there was nothing left and it was still quite early with a lot of people standing around waiting for food. The breakfast room is small and they ask you not to eat outside of the breakfast room. I'm not sure where you should eat if you can't get a table. ( standing up, I guess). The pool is fine and clean. There is no hot tub. Parking became difficult if you were one of the last in the parking lot. It is small and difficult to manage.

We would have rated our stay okay until we went to check out. We had checked in using our CAA Visa Travellers Cheque Card. They accepted this and yet when we went to check out they told us they could not accept this ( even though we had no problems with our other hotel, restaurants and shops for the last 10 days). We had to go and get cash from the bank. When we returned home, we notice on the statement, they had put the money through on our Visa when we checked in and then taken our cash at check out. This has been resolved but only after calling them . Apparently the girl who checked us in should not have accepted our card. We spoke with our CAA and Visa and they said they have never had anyone reject this card. It is the same as a travellers cheque but in the form of a card which makes it much easier to use. Old Town Inn is the only hotel which we know of that does not accept it. I think perhaps the Inn should get up to date on new payment methods.

Would I return? No. And obviously I would not recommend this to anyone else. The inn was okay but the check out definetly turned me off. I'm sure there are other hotels in San Diego where you can get a better nights sleep and more up to date staff and management.

Stayed: February 2007
5  Thank northofsouthfarms
Reviewed 23 February 2007

Absolutely a great stay.
After reading the great reviews I was concerned I was setting myself up for disappointment.
Not to worry. Our stay was very nice and exceeded our expectations.
I was greeted by Maria who provided my family with the quiet room we asked for and when asked for some Mexican dining tips over at nearby Old Town she kindly provided me with a map and 3 great suggestions, two of which we used and were very happy with.
Anna is like a San Diego travel agent and gave me great advice on visiting "over the boarder" and on Sea World.
My kids loved the beautiful pool, and the breakfast room is a great way to start the day.
My opinion.... ignore any negative comments you read here. The staff here aim to please, and if things are not right (hey things happen) I am confident they will do there best to make it right given the chance.
It is not the Hyatt, but it is not $350.00 plus per night either.
And they do not charge for internet, $9.00 for a juice and bagel, or $20.00 flat fee for a 2 minute long distance call to Canada like the Hyatt does either.
I would stay here again anytime.
Thanks Anna, Maria, and staff! Great Job.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank RebelsFan
Reviewed 22 February 2007

My husband had a convention in San Diego and we were booked at the Ramada on Hotel Circle. After reading reviews of it we cancelled and decided to try the Old Town Inn. Our "deluxe" room was clean and pleasant. The walls were thin but fine with the fan turned on. The inn has attractive grounds and a nice breakfast room although at many breakfasts all the tables were taken. It's a very convenient location. It was $100 a night less than the Ramada. We stayed six nights and I would recommend the Old Town Inn to friends and would stay here again. The money we saved went to very good dinners including El Agave and Cafe Pacifica in Old Town and Monsoon downtown.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank biondabear
Reviewed 21 February 2007

We were looking for a place to stay in San Diego for a week. It had to be close to a trolley station so that we could get by without a car. It also needed to be clean, quiet and affordable. After weeks of searching and reading reviews of hotels, I was beginning to feel that I would never find the perfect hotel. Then I stumbled on the reviews for Old Town Inn. It sounded just perfect for what we wanted. I called the hotel and the person on the phone was extremely polite and helpful. So we booked in for a week. When we showed up, I wondered if it would be as good as it had sounded. And it was. The Trip Advisor reviews had been right on. It was a real find!! We had a delux room with a kitchenette. The room was very spacious with a sofa and coffee table. We would have preferred to have a table and chairs rather than a desk with an extra chair drawn up to it, but that was a small thing. If you book a kitchenette, it does not come with the dishes, etc in the room. You have to ask at the front desk and they will deliver a large case full of dishes, utensils, dishclothes, detergent, etc. But if we were to do it over, we would have not spent the extra few dollars for the kitchen unit. Each unit has a microwave and fridge, so we really didn't need the gas burners. We could have saved the extra 5 dollars a day and just bought some paper plates. The bed was really comfortable and the room was very quiet. One of the best things about the hotel is the location. It is a 5 minute walk to the bus and trolley station. From there we were able to get to anywhere we wanted cheaply and easily. A day pass was only 15 dollars for 4 days so you can't beat the price!! The Old Town area is right next to the trolley station, so we were able to wander around there whenever we wanted. There was an Italian restaurant by the trolley station that had a 5 dollar pizza special each day. So we were able to take it home and have a delicious dinner for next to nothing. The breakfast at the Old Town Inn was truly amazing. Yes, technically it was a deluxe continuental breakfast. But it had make yourself hot waffles and hard boiled eggs, so there was a lot of variety. They also had tea, coffee, hot chocolate, juice, yogurt,fresh fruit, fruit salad, assorted cold cereals, instant oatmeal, about 5 types of bagels, 4 types of danishes, toast, etc. We were there for a week and I doubt we repeated the same breakfast choices. The meal filled us up enough that we rarely needed lunch. It is also a really nice breakfast room, so we often stayed and chatted with our friends for an hour. It was definitely the nicest continental buffet I have had at a hotel.
The hotel wasn't cheap, but was on a par with what all the other chain hotels were charging. But our friends wanted to save a few bucks so they had booked one of the hotel's economy rooms. These rooms are fairly small, but they are able to fit in a table and 2 chairs. They also had a fridge and microwave. Their bathroom was small, but did not have a hairdryer. But since they were not planning to spend too much time in their room aside from sleeping, they felt it was fine for their needs. Their bed was also super comfortable. They paid about 20 dollars a night less. If I was staying for just one night or if I wanted to save a bit of money, I would not hesitate to stay in the economy room. They are currently renovating rooms in that wing, so there was a bit of extra construction noise earlier in the day for them. But if you don't mind the extra cost, go for the bigger deluxe room. I think it was worth it.
There were several restaurants within a ten minute walk fo the hotel, so we really didn't miss having a car. On days when we were out all day at Sea World, etc, we often stopped on our way back for dinner and then just hopped on the next trolley or bus. That is the benefit of the day pass!!
We are already planning another trip to San Diego, and we will definitely staying at the Old Town Inn. It is a real gem of a hotel. The staff is top notch. Nothing was too much trouble and their attitude was great. I also loved being able to use the lobby computer to check my emails. The hotel has a very spacious and comfortable lobby with a fireplace. The Old Town Inn is an oasis in the middle of an industrial area. We never felt unsafe. Even though it is near to a highway, the hotel is very quiet. I can't imagine anyone complaining about anything at this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Torontoteacher
Reviewed 17 February 2007

I wanted an affordable place to sleep close to USD, the airport, Seaworld and convenitent to the rest of San Diego attractions. I only paid about 65 bucks for the night in a room with 2 double beds within a row of a motel like structure, which is likely the older of the structures on the property. I was tired and did not notice the traffic from the nearby street and close elevated I-5. No noise from neighbors and a clean room made this a bargain. It was indeed convenient. A car is still a good idea in SD. However, nearby are bus and trolley routes.
On arrival about 4 PM, I noticed a very strong "room freshener" which was definitely overdone. My advice to the hotel is to insure that non-smoking rooms are absoulutely maintained non-smoking and that room fresheners be far more subtle and sparingly used.
The bathroom was 1950s design with a small shower stall, toilet and small updated vanity.
The two double beds would be adequate up to a 6 foot tall person but not beyond. If you are tall get aroom with a queen bed. The decor had a cheerful bedspread and paint scheme. TV was very basic cable.
The lobby was warm and welcoming as was the staff. There is only one person at the desk. If more than one person is ready to check in or out there will be a wait, so don't wait until the last minute to leave.
The breaksfast was adequate and convenient self serve. Bagels, dry cereal, instant oatmeal, pastries and make your own waffles. The waffle batter was bland to paper mache' in flavor and texture - might be improved with a longer cook time and perhaps a different batter. One piece of advice to the staff - get a sneeze guard and keep the food out of children's reach. We observed one hacking, sneezing child spreading her germs over the pastries and bagels. We stuck with the non-descript waffles. Eating breakfast out may be worth it.
All in all, if you just need a convenient place to flop, this place works out well. Just don't expect too much.

Stayed: February 2007