“Nice find. Clean, cozy and central to everything”
Review of Old Town Inn

Old Town Inn
Ranked #9 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Stayed in the Jacuzzi suite just before Labor Day weekend. Friendly staff, hot breakfast, quiet, clean and comfortable. There is only one Jacuzzi suite which is a double size room. Fireplace, jetted jacuzzi, flat panel tv, etc. Central to downtown, point loma, sea world, mission valley, old town, la jolla, etc. I am sensitive to noise at night, but all was quiet.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Steve1602
Write a ReviewReviews (1,961)

Reviewed 2 September 2010

1. Was clean and the breakfast they offer was decent and good
2. The lights went out went taking a shower
3. The fans (which we like to sleep with on) would not stay on and was on a timer
4. Room cramped, no where really to put things in the bath room
As I said it was clean, the people friendly, the breakfast good but it was way too much money for this hotel/motel.
I have gotten rooms on other trips way less for the buck, but generally I must give it a good review as they were clean, nice, and the food was good for the breakfast.

Reviewed 31 August 2010

My family and I stayed here in July. Outside exterior next to a loud busy highway, no view. Please keep looking.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank Megwit
HotelGuySanDiego, Owner at Old Town Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2010

Dear Valued Guest, I'm very sorry that your stay with us was disappointing. Our high ranking on TripAdvisor is in spite of our humble 2 diamond AAA rating. Sometimes people book us thinking that we are a 4 or 5 diamond like many of the other hotels in the top 20. TripAdvisor only measures guest satisfaction and I encourage all our potential guests to make an effort to find out about us (or any hotel) before you book! Do some research before you chose a hotel, look at their website, ask questions when you book your room and, most importantly, read carefully the reviews on TripAdvisor to gain insight into what a given hotel is like! We never want a guest to go away unhappy.

John Lyon
Proud Owner

Reviewed 26 August 2010

We stayed at the Old Town Inn for one night on Aug. 16. We chose this location after reading the reviews on how close it was to the trolley station. We had planned to take the trolley that evening to a concert. We had absolutely no hesitation about walking from the trolley back to the hotel at night. Everything is very well lighted, and it really is not much farther than walking to the parking lot at the trolley.

We stayed in one of the economy rooms, and everything was very clean, and more than met out needs.

The staff was extremely friendly, and there is coffee and newspapers available in the lobby all of the time. The breakfast was great!

1  Thank gjoan
Reviewed 25 August 2010

The room we received was on the small side with a compact bathroom.
Water pressure in the shower could be improved.
There is a small pool in the back of the office.
Breakfast was very good with a varity of bagels and pastries as well as waffles.
It is located very convenient in walking distance to Old Town San Diego State Park.
Parking available at no charge.

1  Thank MrsPicky40
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I stayed at the Old Town Inn last month, and I can't believe that other reviews actually said that they found it to be uncomfortable. They have the most comfortable pillowtop mattresses, and I had a hard time dragging myself out of bed when it came time to check out of my room. I stayed in one of the deluxe rooms, and I think if you're planning to spend a lot of time in your room while you're on vacation, it's probably worth it to pay the extra to stay in the deluxe rooms over the economy rooms. I saw one of the economy rooms, and while it was perfectly nice, it just wasn't as spacious as the room I stayed in. The sink/vanity area outside the bathroom in the deluxe rooms is huge! I also had a sofa/seating area, which was the perfect spot to have our dinner of pizza and popcorn while we watched a movie. The tv also swivels, so when we decided to hop into bed, we swiveled it from facing the sofa to face the bed instead.

The location is a little different, but compared to the prices of the hotels that are actually in the Old Town state park, their prices were a pretty significant savings. The road the hotel is on is kind of busy during the day, but the rooms don't face toward the street, and the landscaping and pool are so pleasant that you don't really notice the street after you've been there a little while, and the traffic really dies down at night, and you don't really hear the traffic if you're in your room, and I had no problem sleeping at all.

The staff is very accomodating, and the place has quite a few nice little touches that you don't see at other hotels in their price range. The way they do their towels is pretty cool, and they even have a nifty little way of folding the end of the toilet paper roll... (you have to see it for yourself). Anyway, I enjoyed my stay, and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2010

I must say I was disappointed in the property after reading the rave reviews here. If you're a business traveler this place is adequate but it's NOT a location for vacationers yearning for a coastal getaway. The Inn is in an industrial area with views of the freeway overpass. Old Town is at least a ten minute walk and you must cross the highway which is not pedestrian friendly. Note - don't be out and about on foot after dark as there are transients in the area. The room was clean, located in the older part of the complex. There was no micro or frig (they do offer those but none were available). Unfortunately the sound on the TV would come and go and the DVD player had 'connection issues' (the staff did come out twice and tried to fix the problems). The morning breakfast was good, the exterior of the building is lovely and overall the staff was accomodating. Price-wise it was competitive with other motels in this category. Since there's so much to do in San Diego you really don't spend alot of time in your room so I guess this place works for budget-minded travelers without kids who don't mind being across the street from a sprawling industrial complex, train depot and highway.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends