“Really Loved It”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oakland, California
“Really Loved It”
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Was looking for an inexpensive hotel (with a little bit of charm) that was close to the San Diego Half Marathon route. This place was absolutely perfect for that. Super cute hollywood glam decorating style; central to EVERYTHING--10 mins away from the airport, 20 mins from La Jolla, FANTASTIC local shops including a barber, coffee shop, drive through vegetarian restaurant, and walkable to Balboa Park. Easily found street parking and rarely moved the rental car. Two dings--of which I can't completely fault the hotel. There are MANY vagrants in the area. The good news is they are completely harmless, however , it is bizarre to see so many mentally unstable people wandering about. There was also no wi-fi access in the room. In spite of that, we had a lovely time.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback. The ‘charm’ you recognized has been fundamental in making the lasting impression that Inn at the Park is now known for. Ever since 1926, today’s Inn at the Park has been in the making. We now proudly offer a historical and cultural experience unlike any in southern California. I trust that your next stay will be just as rewarding, if not more so.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed one night at the Inn at the Park, and was very impressed. Lately I'd been staying in corporate chain hotels, which all seem to have a generic sameness to them. This charming hotel was a pleasant change. There are some minor tradeoffs when staying at an older hotel like this, but I think they are worth it.

The location, right across the street from Balboa Park, can't be beat. A short and beautiful walk to the museums, the Zoo, or the Old Globe Theatre, you can valet your car and forget about it while you explore the area on foot. Many fine restaurants in the Hillcrest neighborhood are also within walking distance.

My newly renovated room was beautifully decorated and was very spacious, with a high ceiling and a separate kitchen/dining area. There was a cool window shade with a b&w photograph of vintage cars parked on a San Diego street, which opened with the push of a button to reveal two huge windows (that opened!). The room was bright with natural light. My only issue was that the blinds in the kitchen window did not darken the room sufficiently, which allowed the light to awaken me early the next morning. The bathroom had a huge mirror and a great shower (with terrific water pressure, a big plus!). There was a window in the shower that could be opened as well, which was wonderful. (I was on a high enough floor that there was no privacy issue!)

Every hotel employee was super-friendly, from the front desk to the maids in the halls. I was very impressed with the customer service. The valet is only $15/night with in-and-out privileges, which is cheaper than the downtown hotels which charge $25-30/night. I would like to have stayed longer in order to take advantage of the kitchen/dining area, which was stocked enough that I could have prepared meals on the premises.

The only drawbacks to the hotel (and the reason I'm not giving it 5 stars) are: Spotty wifi service in the rooms (which I'm told will be rectified soon), one very slow elevator (it was faster to take the stairs), and fairly thin walls. It was not noisy during my stay, but I was aware when someone was walking on the floor above me.

I wouldn't recommend the Inn at the Park for business travelers, but it is a really nice choice for tourists visiting the beautiful Balboa Park. I will definitely go back for a longer stay next time!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LongBeachTripper
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, 23 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are always glad to hear of guests that are willing to embark on new experiences in hospitality. As guests and members value their travel and vacation plans, so does Inn at the Park anticipate your next arrival. We strive to continue improving the brand of hospitality that has made us a San Diego staple. Thank you for sharing your feedback.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 11 March 2013

My husband and I stayed in one of the recently remodeled rooms for 1 week and it was just wonderful, Very roomy King sized Studio ste with a small but Full Kitchen, Large Walk in Closet with Chest of Drawers inside, plus plenty of clothes hanging space. The huge bath was all chrome, with lots of Mirrors and tile! Friends of ours stayed in the Gaslamp Dist 1.6 miles away at the Wyndham,(which by the way is so noisy at night they gave the guests earplugs) and they liked our room so much it became "the meeting place" for the 6 of us. Balboa Park is right next door and we were within 2 blks to the park shuttle, that would drop you off in an array of places, including the Museums and Zoo, also you can catch the community bus there to go downtown. We had a car and the parking was $15 per nite, which is pretty common in large cities, they did mention on the street parking was free, but we found it was easier for the Hotel to park it. We also learned that the property was recently purchased by Wyndham which was good to know as we are owners of their timeshares. Also wanted to mention that this is a Historic Hotel The 82-suites with two restaurants, and seven-stories on 525 Spruce Street was originally designed and built in 1926 by Frank P. Allen Jr., a prominent San Diego architect known for his design of the Cabrillo Bridge (Entry into Balboa Park on Laurel Ave) and his involvement in the Panama-California Exposition, at the Park. In summary its not brand new so if you're the fussy type it might not be for you. But if you like great location, gorgeous views from the rooftop restaurant, extremely efficient and friendly service at a reasonable cost, this is the place. It would have received 5 stars, but they are still remodeling, the Elevator is very slow, also Continental breakfast could be a bit better, but I would definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 310 it was great, I wouldn't want to be to high as elevator is Slow!!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you, DChick, for choosing Inn at the Park for your recent stay. Your attention to detail is a clear indication of your experience with hospitality. This makes everyone at Inn at the Park all the more glad to gain your approval. We hope your next visit is all the more memorable, as we strive to continue the Frank P. Legacy. Thanks again for staying with us.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I have stayed there twice now and I wish I could just stay there all the time! My favorite part is the decor. I find it to be adorable! Very clean and everything is in good condition. I got room service and the food was great. And the employees were friendly and attentive. I have nothing bad to say about any of it and I can't wait to stay there again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the one bedroom suite with a balcony. The view was amazing and I loved having a lot of s...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank shannon b
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Shannon B, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm always glad to hear that any guests would desire our suites as a home, as we work to make the Inn at the Park a home for members and guests. In the mean time, we do accommodate extended stays, should you ever feel any homesickness coming on.
The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Loved the room (actually a studio): great bed, huge sofa, wardrobe big enough to store suitcases, everything new and sparkling!
The studio had a fully stocked kitchen which we never used but could be handy for those on a budget and/or long stay.
The bathroom was unusual, nothing like a hotel bathroom, but again sparklingly clean, with a big shower stall and a huge mirror.
The complimentary breakfast was very basic, but being able to have it on the rooftop patio, in February, with a great view over San Diego, more than compensated for it. Hot breakfast is available at additional cost.
Contrary to what other reviewers experienced, the wifi in my room was excellent!
I would have given the Inn at the Park 5 stars were it not for one issue I had: noise. Our room was on the 5th floor and we could 'feel' what was happening on the 7th floor! Every chair being dragged, every footstep was felt 2 floors down. Fortunately at night there's no activity on the 7th floor, but one night the noise from the room beside ours went on till late.
Except for the noise problem (and I'll admit I'm extra sensitive for noise), I loved everything else about this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. For your next visit, it would be my pleasure to offer you the very best Inn at the Park has to offer. I am pleased to hear that you found success with our wireless network, as our internet will only be improving with the coming network upgrade. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to your next visit.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I really wanted to like this hotel as it has a good location. But the problems here are many: room not ready at check-in time; only one very slow small elevator that has to be shared with maids' cleaning carts; Wi Fi doesn't work in the rooms (General Manager says they have to do an upgrade which is months away); came back at 3:30 pm to find unmade bed, towels on floor, had to call several times to get a maid to clean the room; room amenities (e.g., robe) missing, had to call to get them put into room; bathroom was tiny, with no place to put toiletries; etc., etc. The problems are a combination of infrastructure problems [hotel is an old property recently refurbished] and poor management/poor staff training. On the plus side, view from the roof is great, living areas in rooms are huge, and location right by the park is very nice.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
StorGor, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. The details of your stay are especially important, as misrepresentations of the Inn at the Park have always demanded immediate care and attention. I am confident that your next stay will see most if not all your concerns addressed to the fullest extent. Furthermore, it would be a pleasure to situate your next visit with the very best the Inn at the Park has to offer. We thank you for your feedback and look forward to your next arrival.
Julian, California
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We were in San Diego for one night to see a play at the Old Globe in Balboa Park. The Inn at the Park is in an ideal location and is a great place to stay. Appreciated 15 dollar per night Valet parking with 24 hr unlimited service. Staff was cordial. View from the top floor at the complementary continental breakfast was outstanding. Large 1 King Bedroom with living area. Bed was comfortable. Full kitchen. When going to the the Old Globe, why stay anywhere else? AND ..Affordable.

Room Tip: Would be nice to have a room with a balcony for a longer stay...
1 Thank HWWhiteside
Guests of San Diego’s Old Globe theater have always made a home of the Inn at the Park. Our relationship to the Old Globe has become a convenience that guests and members have enjoyed taking advantage of for as long as our buildings have been standing. Whether physical proximity or seasonal promotions, the ‘Play and Stay’ evening you enjoyed has and will be a popular combination for local San Diegans as well as for tourists.