“Excellent service”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Cloud, Minnesota, United States
“Excellent service”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect but it wasn't this! As soon as we pulled up to the valet parking we were treated as if we were royalty. The valet, desk clerk, concierge were very helpful and respectful. The view from the 7th floor restaurant was breathtaking and the restaurant in the basement was wonderful. We truly enjoyed the live music in the lounge. The Inn is right next to Balboa Park and there is a Tram that runs to the zoo and back. Overall, my experience was positive. I guess the only negative would be that the wi-fi did not work in the rooms consistently. However, I was told that they were working on that and they should have it in all the rooms soon.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Thank you for choosing Inn at the Park. The experience that you and your family share while staying with us is at the forefront of our endeavor. If you were made to feel like ‘royalty,’ throughout your stay, it is truly because we value you as such. The Inn at the Park strives to remain at the forefront of hospitality, while offering an experience that is unique and different; something often forgotten by your usual hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Home, Indiana USA
Reviewed 13 March 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Inn at the Park for one night before heading north for a business meeting. The service at this hotel could not have been better; from the valet to the desk clerk to the concierge, we were treated with courtesy throughout our stay. The staff was also very informative as to the area, and directed us to an area where restaurants were abundant.
Granted, the property is old, but the rooms have been updated and are clean and comfortable. We stayed in a studio room, with a king sized bed, a lovely couch, a kitchenette area, and a large bathroom. The continental breakfast, which is included in the room charge, is served on the top floor in what was apparently once a ballroom/meeting room area, and there is a view of the harbor and the city all around. In addition to the free continental breakfast, you can purchase a hot breakfast of eggs, bacon and potatoes for - get this - an additional $5.00! It was delicious, and quite a bargain.
If we ever visit San Diego again, we would be delighted to stay in this fine hotel. We were treated well and made to feel like valued guests from the moment we made the reservation to the moment we drove away.

Room Tip: I only have knowledge of the room we stayed in, so cannot really answer this question.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. According to your review, your recent stay can be considered a true success by Inn at the Park standards. Our ability to impart the feeling of a ‘valued guest’ as you put it, from arrival to departure, is at the forefront of our venture here at Inn at the Park. We could only hope to continue excelling at this throughout your next visit. Thank you for your feedback.
Oakland, California
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Was looking for an inexpensive hotel (with a little bit of charm) that was close to the San Diego Half Marathon route. This place was absolutely perfect for that. Super cute hollywood glam decorating style; central to EVERYTHING--10 mins away from the airport, 20 mins from La Jolla, FANTASTIC local shops including a barber, coffee shop, drive through vegetarian restaurant, and walkable to Balboa Park. Easily found street parking and rarely moved the rental car. Two dings--of which I can't completely fault the hotel. There are MANY vagrants in the area. The good news is they are completely harmless, however , it is bizarre to see so many mentally unstable people wandering about. There was also no wi-fi access in the room. In spite of that, we had a lovely time.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your feedback. The ‘charm’ you recognized has been fundamental in making the lasting impression that Inn at the Park is now known for. Ever since 1926, today’s Inn at the Park has been in the making. We now proudly offer a historical and cultural experience unlike any in southern California. I trust that your next stay will be just as rewarding, if not more so.
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed one night at the Inn at the Park, and was very impressed. Lately I'd been staying in corporate chain hotels, which all seem to have a generic sameness to them. This charming hotel was a pleasant change. There are some minor tradeoffs when staying at an older hotel like this, but I think they are worth it.

The location, right across the street from Balboa Park, can't be beat. A short and beautiful walk to the museums, the Zoo, or the Old Globe Theatre, you can valet your car and forget about it while you explore the area on foot. Many fine restaurants in the Hillcrest neighborhood are also within walking distance.

My newly renovated room was beautifully decorated and was very spacious, with a high ceiling and a separate kitchen/dining area. There was a cool window shade with a b&w photograph of vintage cars parked on a San Diego street, which opened with the push of a button to reveal two huge windows (that opened!). The room was bright with natural light. My only issue was that the blinds in the kitchen window did not darken the room sufficiently, which allowed the light to awaken me early the next morning. The bathroom had a huge mirror and a great shower (with terrific water pressure, a big plus!). There was a window in the shower that could be opened as well, which was wonderful. (I was on a high enough floor that there was no privacy issue!)

Every hotel employee was super-friendly, from the front desk to the maids in the halls. I was very impressed with the customer service. The valet is only $15/night with in-and-out privileges, which is cheaper than the downtown hotels which charge $25-30/night. I would like to have stayed longer in order to take advantage of the kitchen/dining area, which was stocked enough that I could have prepared meals on the premises.

The only drawbacks to the hotel (and the reason I'm not giving it 5 stars) are: Spotty wifi service in the rooms (which I'm told will be rectified soon), one very slow elevator (it was faster to take the stairs), and fairly thin walls. It was not noisy during my stay, but I was aware when someone was walking on the floor above me.

I wouldn't recommend the Inn at the Park for business travelers, but it is a really nice choice for tourists visiting the beautiful Balboa Park. I will definitely go back for a longer stay next time!

1 Thank LongBeachTripper
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, 23 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are always glad to hear of guests that are willing to embark on new experiences in hospitality. As guests and members value their travel and vacation plans, so does Inn at the Park anticipate your next arrival. We strive to continue improving the brand of hospitality that has made us a San Diego staple. Thank you for sharing your feedback.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 11 March 2013

My husband and I stayed in one of the recently remodeled rooms for 1 week and it was just wonderful, Very roomy King sized Studio ste with a small but Full Kitchen, Large Walk in Closet with Chest of Drawers inside, plus plenty of clothes hanging space. The huge bath was all chrome, with lots of Mirrors and tile! Friends of ours stayed in the Gaslamp Dist 1.6 miles away at the Wyndham,(which by the way is so noisy at night they gave the guests earplugs) and they liked our room so much it became "the meeting place" for the 6 of us. Balboa Park is right next door and we were within 2 blks to the park shuttle, that would drop you off in an array of places, including the Museums and Zoo, also you can catch the community bus there to go downtown. We had a car and the parking was $15 per nite, which is pretty common in large cities, they did mention on the street parking was free, but we found it was easier for the Hotel to park it. We also learned that the property was recently purchased by Wyndham which was good to know as we are owners of their timeshares. Also wanted to mention that this is a Historic Hotel The 82-suites with two restaurants, and seven-stories on 525 Spruce Street was originally designed and built in 1926 by Frank P. Allen Jr., a prominent San Diego architect known for his design of the Cabrillo Bridge (Entry into Balboa Park on Laurel Ave) and his involvement in the Panama-California Exposition, at the Park. In summary its not brand new so if you're the fussy type it might not be for you. But if you like great location, gorgeous views from the rooftop restaurant, extremely efficient and friendly service at a reasonable cost, this is the place. It would have received 5 stars, but they are still remodeling, the Elevator is very slow, also Continental breakfast could be a bit better, but I would definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: We stayed in 310 it was great, I wouldn't want to be to high as elevator is Slow!!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you, DChick, for choosing Inn at the Park for your recent stay. Your attention to detail is a clear indication of your experience with hospitality. This makes everyone at Inn at the Park all the more glad to gain your approval. We hope your next visit is all the more memorable, as we strive to continue the Frank P. Legacy. Thanks again for staying with us.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I have stayed there twice now and I wish I could just stay there all the time! My favorite part is the decor. I find it to be adorable! Very clean and everything is in good condition. I got room service and the food was great. And the employees were friendly and attentive. I have nothing bad to say about any of it and I can't wait to stay there again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the one bedroom suite with a balcony. The view was amazing and I loved having a lot of s...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank shannon b
Jeff O, Front Office Manager at Inn at the Park, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Shannon B, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm always glad to hear that any guests would desire our suites as a home, as we work to make the Inn at the Park a home for members and guests. In the mean time, we do accommodate extended stays, should you ever feel any homesickness coming on.
The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Loved the room (actually a studio): great bed, huge sofa, wardrobe big enough to store suitcases, everything new and sparkling!
The studio had a fully stocked kitchen which we never used but could be handy for those on a budget and/or long stay.
The bathroom was unusual, nothing like a hotel bathroom, but again sparklingly clean, with a big shower stall and a huge mirror.
The complimentary breakfast was very basic, but being able to have it on the rooftop patio, in February, with a great view over San Diego, more than compensated for it. Hot breakfast is available at additional cost.
Contrary to what other reviewers experienced, the wifi in my room was excellent!
I would have given the Inn at the Park 5 stars were it not for one issue I had: noise. Our room was on the 5th floor and we could 'feel' what was happening on the 7th floor! Every chair being dragged, every footstep was felt 2 floors down. Fortunately at night there's no activity on the 7th floor, but one night the noise from the room beside ours went on till late.
Except for the noise problem (and I'll admit I'm extra sensitive for noise), I loved everything else about this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. For your next visit, it would be my pleasure to offer you the very best Inn at the Park has to offer. I am pleased to hear that you found success with our wireless network, as our internet will only be improving with the coming network upgrade. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to your next visit.