“Okay for 1 night”

The Consulate Hotel
Ranked #246 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I was really worried about this hotel after reading other reviews. We just needed a place to sleep after a very late arrival in San Diego. We used our points to get the room for free, otherwise I would not want to pay more than $50. The location is very convenient from the airport, and the front desk staff are very nice and helpful. It is pretty noisy, especially with the bar there. It is best to get a room away from the bar area, unless you are there to party. We were on the 6th floor, so it was pretty quiet (except for traffic and airport noise). The rooms are pretty small. We had a double with a rollaway, and it was pretty tight. I would not recommend this hotel if you are staying more than 1 night, or if you have young children. There is a $10 parking fee, and a $11 rollaway fee that is not disclosed until check out, and they do not serve breakfast, although they had coffee and pastries in the lobby.

Room Tip: Unless you are there to party, try to get a room far away from the bar.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank redwalnut

Reviewed 16 March 2013

I chose this hotel because I thought it was a good rate (at the time) and it was close to the airport. I learned my lesson about not reading the small print and assuming. After you check in they inform you that there will be a $10 per day fee to park your car on their property. There is also NOT a continental breakfast! No business center or computer to print out your boarding pass and the hot tub was not even hot! Terrible!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank chris F
Reviewed 25 February 2013

If you are on vacation, do not choose this hotel. I chose it because I was on business and it was close to the airport and work locations that I was visiting. I stayed for 6 nights.

It has a bed, shower, internet, cable TV and ironing board. That's it.

The hotel is dated with 1990's carpet and décor. Room felt dirty, even though housekeeping came in every day. There's some shady characters staying there. It reminded me of a section 8 hotel. I could be wrong about that...just instinct. There's a bar called Riley's attached to the property. Seeded like they had karaoke every night. Anyone in the bar (locals) had access to the hotel. This made me a bit uneasy that they could get up to my floor. No security guards were visible at all.

I ate at Denny's (next door) for breakfast every morning. There's a McD's and Arby's within walking distance...not too healthy. Definitely rent a car to get around.

There's a pool onsite, but nobody was ever in it or near it...the weather was around 70 though. If you are desperate, a couple nights won't kill you, and it seems like they were never above 10% capacity judging by the cars in the small parking lot

Room Tip: Stay on top floors away from the Bar. Hopefully non of the patrons will sneak up that high.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Staten_Island_Mike
Reviewed 26 October 2012

This hotel is close to the SAN airport and SeaWorld area and the hotel was ok for a single night, that's about the best I can say.

I had a pre-paid reservation but when I arrived as with most Choice Hotels, They wanted to charge me and were surprised when they saw it was pre-paid. They also said there was a balance due for some reason and they CHARGE for parking, just an FYI.

The club in the lobby/bottom floor is a bit noisy. Staying on the 6th floor and we could still hear the club noise. The hotel was comfy and somewhat clean. I would most likely NOT return on the next visit to San Diego

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeremy M
Reviewed 21 October 2012

This was one of the worst "hotels" I've ever stayed at. The rooms were not clean, the bathroom had hair in sink and tub, and the location is bad. There was no breakfast and the parking is in a seedy looking garage that appears to be a prime location for drug deals. Choice Hotels just lost a good customer.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Olson1980
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Quite frankly this hotel has a real noise problem, mostly due to the poor design and terrible acoustics of the property. Frankly the sound seems to reverberate in the corridors and there is quite a bit of noise both from within the hotel and from the neighborhood in general. There is a club on the first floor that was quite hopping when we were there but it did make it noisy. The pool is great but it is right under the rooms of about half of the hotel and so even minor noises in the pool seem to disturb people wanting quiet. The staff was nice and tried to work to maintain order, but many of the guests were constantly complaining about noise. Just a bad set up overall. The real plus is the location just a couple of block walk from the harbor and the entrance to Shelter Island. If noise doesn't bother you, the location and convenience of the hotel may make it a decent choice.

Room Tip: Get a room high up to avoid the noise from the lower levels.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eric N
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I have stayed at this hotel every summer as a park and fly customer.. I have watched this hotel go through some major construction and renovation and the rooms are nice and comfortable. In the past there have been problems with transportation to and from the airport BUT this time was very different. When the shuttle was not notified of our time for pick up we were personally driven to the airport by the new manager Armando. He gave us his cell phone so upon our arrival back in San Diego he asked us to call him personally. He came to the airport at 11:00pm on a Saturday night and picked us up!!! I hope that with this new managment that this hotel will reach a GREAT rating!!! Good Luck Armando!!!

Room Tip: ask for a Bay view
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple