“Horrible, unprofessional and unacceptable”

The Consulate Hotel
Ranked #255 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I visited San Diego for a short weekend and my stay from beginning to end was absolutely horrible and a sad excuse for customer service. I used Choice Rewards points one night and paid for the other night. The receptionist said that I only needed to re-checkin the next morning so that I could keep my same room. The next morning I tried to use the hair dryer And it didn't work. I waited over a half hour to get a new one, even after walking down to the lobby to get a new one, by that time my hair was already dry. On my way out following that issue I "re-checked in" and the girl at the front desk said that I'd have to change rooms because a high school group had pre-reserved rooms. I'm not sure how she didn't know that the day before when I checked in the first time, but feeling feeling rather annoyed I told her I was going to breakfast and to call me when my other room was clean. I had time to eat breakfast and go to the grocery and still no call. I return to the hotel and the girl at the front desk still hadn't heard from room service and asked me where I'd like to wait so that they could clean my room which should have already been clean. I told her that I had a tour planned and this was my only day to actually spend in San Diego. I went to my room to pack my things and shortly after I got to my room I got a call saying after all that I went through I didn't have to move Rooms. I had already packed my stuff and let the girl know that at that point I was ready to move rooms and get on with my stay. She offered to move me to the room next door! Then offered to move me a few rooms down outside of the elevator. Remind you that a high school group would be staying on this same floor, the last place I wanted to be was outside the elevator. I agreed to that room just to end things and went down to get the room keys. I went to my newly assigned room, opened the door anddddd it was dirty. Sheets were wadded up on the beds and the floor had clearly not been vacuumed. At this point I was completely over this entire hotel and ready to just find somewhere else to stay. The girl at the front desk finally got a supervisor for me to talk to who eventually moved me floors to a "harbor side" which was pretty sad at the least and offered a $20 discount. I have NEVER stayed at a hotel and been through a fiasco like that. I'm not sure why it took so long to rectify such a simple issue. I'm still waiting on a call from the general manager that I placed almost a week ago now. They said they were under new management, but clearly that may be the issue. My husband is a Platinum Choice member and to be such a "valued" member of the program, Definitely didn't feel that way. I most definitely and absolutely will not ever stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank duvalljessica
B D, Manager at The Consulate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

We know this is a very old review, however we appreciate the feedback and we are reading then and making changes. thank you for info.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

This place is horrible, horrible! We stayed overnight and paid to park our car in the parking lot while we went away on a family vacation. Our car was broken into on the very first night. The hotel was NO HELP AT ALL. The thieves broke the window and stole my purse, along with other items. The only way we found out is because the credit card companies started to call with suspicious activity. The security company that Quality Inn uses never even took notice of the broken glass all over. There are no cameras set up in the parking area for security. The hotel never did anything to help us while we were out of the country. Armando, the manager said he would tape up the window and never did. Our car was exposed to the elements for 3 weeks! The glass was still everywhere when we returned. Very poor neighborhood with many transients wondering around even though it appears to be in a great location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Shannon J

Although this is a year old, we want to apologize for the atrocious situation you endured. We have new management and we are upgrading and under training. We thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

This hotel is close to SeaWorld and the harbor and beaches. It's showing its age everywhere, but clean. Bed was advertised as queen, but was a double. No real breakfast currently, just a small thing of Danish's. In the evening at the pool we asked them to make more coffee in the lobby because it was empty and the front desk persons said "you can go up to your room and make coffee" RUDE! The rooms were quiet except for the elevator noise, which we were next door.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 2fromcali
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We left a Quality Inn in Anaheim and made a trip to San Diego to visit Sea World. We stayed at this Quality Inn. I did not like it and would not recommend it. You must pay $10 per night to park, which is ridiculous. Also, there is no continental breakfast. The hotel looks nice from the lobby, but once you get to your room it is not good. The room needs updating and does not have a fridge or microwave. You do hear traffic and airplanes at night as well. I will not stay at this hotel again. Also, we did receive a military discount at Anaheim, but when I asked at this quality inn they said no. The staff at the desk seemed like I was inconveinencing them to even check in. No good...

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Melissa O
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I was really worried about this hotel after reading other reviews. We just needed a place to sleep after a very late arrival in San Diego. We used our points to get the room for free, otherwise I would not want to pay more than $50. The location is very convenient from the airport, and the front desk staff are very nice and helpful. It is pretty noisy, especially with the bar there. It is best to get a room away from the bar area, unless you are there to party. We were on the 6th floor, so it was pretty quiet (except for traffic and airport noise). The rooms are pretty small. We had a double with a rollaway, and it was pretty tight. I would not recommend this hotel if you are staying more than 1 night, or if you have young children. There is a $10 parking fee, and a $11 rollaway fee that is not disclosed until check out, and they do not serve breakfast, although they had coffee and pastries in the lobby.

Room Tip: Unless you are there to party, try to get a room far away from the bar.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank redwalnut
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I chose this hotel because I thought it was a good rate (at the time) and it was close to the airport. I learned my lesson about not reading the small print and assuming. After you check in they inform you that there will be a $10 per day fee to park your car on their property. There is also NOT a continental breakfast! No business center or computer to print out your boarding pass and the hot tub was not even hot! Terrible!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank chris F
Reviewed 25 February 2013

If you are on vacation, do not choose this hotel. I chose it because I was on business and it was close to the airport and work locations that I was visiting. I stayed for 6 nights.

It has a bed, shower, internet, cable TV and ironing board. That's it.

The hotel is dated with 1990's carpet and décor. Room felt dirty, even though housekeeping came in every day. There's some shady characters staying there. It reminded me of a section 8 hotel. I could be wrong about that...just instinct. There's a bar called Riley's attached to the property. Seeded like they had karaoke every night. Anyone in the bar (locals) had access to the hotel. This made me a bit uneasy that they could get up to my floor. No security guards were visible at all.

I ate at Denny's (next door) for breakfast every morning. There's a McD's and Arby's within walking distance...not too healthy. Definitely rent a car to get around.

There's a pool onsite, but nobody was ever in it or near it...the weather was around 70 though. If you are desperate, a couple nights won't kill you, and it seems like they were never above 10% capacity judging by the cars in the small parking lot

Room Tip: Stay on top floors away from the Bar. Hopefully non of the patrons will sneak up that high.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business