The Consulate Hotel
US$288
US$270
  • Pool
Hilton San Diego Resort & Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$240
Official Site
US$652
HardRockSD.com
  • Restaurant
Bahia Resort Hotel(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$224
Paradise Point Resort & Spa(San Diego)
US$242
US$203
ParadisePoint.com
  • Pool
The Dana on Mission Bay(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$214
US$190
  • Restaurant
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa(San Diego)(Great Value!)
US$225
US$224
  • Pool
Pacific Terrace Hotel(San Diego)
US$423
  • Beachfront
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed here two years ago for one horrible night and from the more recent reviews I can see that if anything it has gotten worse, even though that is hard for me to believe. This is because out of hundreds of hotels that I've stayed at anywhere in the world, this was by far the worst experience. As some of the other reviews have pointed out, there are thugs, hookers and drug dealers in the halls roaming the building in the evenings. The pounding music coming out of the seedy night club near the lobby on the ground floor can actually be heard loudly all night long, even in the rooms on the top two floors which sounds physically impossible but is true. The old concrete structure indeed reverberates with the music as another review has mentioned. The rooms themselves are dreary, moderately dirty, and dilapidated. At the time I stayed there, I saw no mold or bedbugs but I hear that others are seeing these things frequently in the rooms now. Every six months or so, we check the reviews for this hotel, just to see what horrific things have happened there lately (such as cars being broken into, being accosted with harrassment in the elevators from the club patrons, marijuana smoke wafting in the halls, police being called to the property at night due to fights, etc.). It's sad that normal people continue to stay here and end up having their vacations ruined. This is not a normal hotel for normal people! At this hotel, people migrate from the seedy nightclub to the rooms in the night for illicit activities. What's worse is that the price seems to have actually increased from $79 per night two years ago to $99 per night now. You can stay nearby at normal hotels for only about $10-$15 more. There is no breakfast and there is no shuttle, despite what you might see on their website, for example. On the plus side, the experiences of that one night has frequently come up at family gatherings in discussions. It was the most memorable hotel night for the family ever by far, but not in a good way at all. My wife and kids experienced being accosted in the elevator and halls that evening by large, agressive, drunk and high club patrons.

Room Tip: Please do not stay here. I feel sorry for families who stay here and don't know better. It's a depressing facility at best and a downright dangerous one at worst.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Mike W
B D, Manager at The Consulate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

There is work that we are doing to upgrade this hotel, we do have a zero tolerance policy, At this point we do not have the nightclub open, and we are a limited service budget hotel and we are priced competitively with the hotels in the area. This review is old and we are currently working and still have more work to do. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We reserved this Hotel for our family moon as it advertised it was close to Sea World which it is but I would recommend sleeping in your CAR before you stay here! The online pictures DONT represent the hotel AT ALL- Rooms & Hall way stink like something from 1940, the bed room key gave us problems EVERY TIME we opened the door - (even after the front desk staff helped us ) the doors look like it was a old mental hospital, the bed SUCKS- it was like sleeping on the hard floor, the parking alot had many homeless people asking for money, there was NO breakfast and SO MUCH NOISE coming from the near by road - We left before our stay was over ( The staff was awesome and refunded us for the prepayment of the rest of our stay) and WE MADE ChoiceHotels refund us for the night we paid for- PLEASE DONT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE WE DID!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MarcellaJMaestas
B D, Manager at The Consulate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

We are sorry that your experience was not what you expected.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I visited San Diego for a short weekend and my stay from beginning to end was absolutely horrible and a sad excuse for customer service. I used Choice Rewards points one night and paid for the other night. The receptionist said that I only needed to re-checkin the next morning so that I could keep my same room. The next morning I tried to use the hair dryer And it didn't work. I waited over a half hour to get a new one, even after walking down to the lobby to get a new one, by that time my hair was already dry. On my way out following that issue I "re-checked in" and the girl at the front desk said that I'd have to change rooms because a high school group had pre-reserved rooms. I'm not sure how she didn't know that the day before when I checked in the first time, but feeling feeling rather annoyed I told her I was going to breakfast and to call me when my other room was clean. I had time to eat breakfast and go to the grocery and still no call. I return to the hotel and the girl at the front desk still hadn't heard from room service and asked me where I'd like to wait so that they could clean my room which should have already been clean. I told her that I had a tour planned and this was my only day to actually spend in San Diego. I went to my room to pack my things and shortly after I got to my room I got a call saying after all that I went through I didn't have to move Rooms. I had already packed my stuff and let the girl know that at that point I was ready to move rooms and get on with my stay. She offered to move me to the room next door! Then offered to move me a few rooms down outside of the elevator. Remind you that a high school group would be staying on this same floor, the last place I wanted to be was outside the elevator. I agreed to that room just to end things and went down to get the room keys. I went to my newly assigned room, opened the door anddddd it was dirty. Sheets were wadded up on the beds and the floor had clearly not been vacuumed. At this point I was completely over this entire hotel and ready to just find somewhere else to stay. The girl at the front desk finally got a supervisor for me to talk to who eventually moved me floors to a "harbor side" which was pretty sad at the least and offered a $20 discount. I have NEVER stayed at a hotel and been through a fiasco like that. I'm not sure why it took so long to rectify such a simple issue. I'm still waiting on a call from the general manager that I placed almost a week ago now. They said they were under new management, but clearly that may be the issue. My husband is a Platinum Choice member and to be such a "valued" member of the program, Definitely didn't feel that way. I most definitely and absolutely will not ever stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank duvalljessica
B D, Manager at The Consulate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

We know this is a very old review, however we appreciate the feedback and we are reading then and making changes. thank you for info.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

This place is horrible, horrible! We stayed overnight and paid to park our car in the parking lot while we went away on a family vacation. Our car was broken into on the very first night. The hotel was NO HELP AT ALL. The thieves broke the window and stole my purse, along with other items. The only way we found out is because the credit card companies started to call with suspicious activity. The security company that Quality Inn uses never even took notice of the broken glass all over. There are no cameras set up in the parking area for security. The hotel never did anything to help us while we were out of the country. Armando, the manager said he would tape up the window and never did. Our car was exposed to the elements for 3 weeks! The glass was still everywhere when we returned. Very poor neighborhood with many transients wondering around even though it appears to be in a great location.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Shannon J

Although this is a year old, we want to apologize for the atrocious situation you endured. We have new management and we are upgrading and under training. We thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

This hotel is close to SeaWorld and the harbor and beaches. It's showing its age everywhere, but clean. Bed was advertised as queen, but was a double. No real breakfast currently, just a small thing of Danish's. In the evening at the pool we asked them to make more coffee in the lobby because it was empty and the front desk persons said "you can go up to your room and make coffee" RUDE! The rooms were quiet except for the elevator noise, which we were next door.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family