“Little Italy Location”

Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown
Ranked #123 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Perfect spot, perfect view, perfect room. Only problem is the parking garage. Too tight, too narrow and very nerve racking to enter and exit. I will definitely stay here again and hope to bring my wife the next time. Even with the airport in view and seeing every returning flight it was magnificent!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I was very impressed with the Doubletree. The staff was extremely helpful. Our room was in perfect condition, enjoyed the mints, the cookies and the friendly staff. I'm already planning on staying here on my next trip to San Diego.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel is in a great location if you are looking to stays in the City, but still maintain that small town fill. Little Italy is reviving its imagine with new hip restaurants like Ironside. Certainly, take a walk through the neighborhood. This hotel has comfortable rooms, great fitness center, and a outside pool and hot tub on the 5th floor. If you are planning to stay here for a family trip, leave the SUV at home as the parking structure is really tight to navigate a large vehicle through. When I return I will take a full size car instead of a SUV.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed 5 nights at this location, we were in town for a family function. Booking the room to begin with was an inconvenience, because apparently their computer system won't handle different room rates. We had to have two separate reservations, which required 3 different phone calls to get correct.
Our plane was delayed and I called from the tarmac @ Dulles to tell the Doubletree that it would be 1am before we arrived. "No problem" they said. "We'll be waiting on you". When we finally arrived @ 12:30, we called for the shuttle and was informed that they don't run that late, we'd have to take a taxi.
After finally arriving, straightening out our reservation again (I thought), we made it to our room a little after 1am. The ocean view faced the airport, and a small sliver of bay that we had to step outside to see. The extra towels I'd requested ahead of time were not there. Something had been ripped off the wall in the bathroom. I'm not sure if it was a towel rack or a picture. Either way, all that was left was broken pieces embedded in the wall.
The room was clean and spacious. The bed and pillows were comfortable., Plenty of hangers, drawer space and the hair dryer and iron were clean and worked. The restaurant buffet breakfast was very good but like the front desk, the service was lacking. We ate there 3 days, and I never got a coffee refill unless we got up and got it ourselves.
The Doubletree Downtown is in an excellent location on the edge of Little Italy. Within walking distance of many restaurants and the bay area.
That is the last nice thing I am able to say about the Doubletree Downtown San Diego. The water pressure and water heaters in this hotel are horrendous. 20 minutes to heat up the shower, and even then you were taking chances. No water pressure on the 16th floor, the temperature of the water would change randomly from scalding to cold. I didn't take a single comfortable shower the entire trip. Our last morning, my 4am shower was lukewarm, and that's the best I got.
I never got warm water in the sink, only cold. I tried to let the front desk know that they had an issue, and was told that they were aware.
We had to have our room keys redone 3 separate times. They'd just stop working. The balcony sliding glass door kept going off track.
Because we were there for family, we did not spend a great deal of time in the room, or I probably would have made a bigger deal about the problems and maybe I should have but frankly, it was more hassle than it was worth at the time.
The amenities booklet in the room advertises the airport shuttle from 5am til midnight. When I asked to reserve 2 spots on their 5am shuttle, I was told that they didn't have one. I was told 5:15 was the earliest. Later that evening, I asked again. This time I was told that the earliest was 5:30. If I needed earlier, we'd have to take a taxi.
The next morning I went down at 4:40am to ask them to order us a taxi. The desk clerk did call, but then said she couldn't guarantee it at 5am?
As we left the building with our luggage at 4:55, not a single taxi. But wait! The hotel shuttle, the one that didn't leave at 5am was loading up to take flight crew to the airport and we were able to catch it. It left promptly at 5am. The driver said he made that run every morning.
Some of it controllable, some of it not, but very strange customer service. I think we'll stay elsewhere on our next visit to San Diego.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel is nicely located in downtown San Diego. There was a nice farmers market nearby on the Saturday we were there. There are also a number of good restaurants and bars nearby. The room was clean and spacey, the only complaint I have is there was no mini fridge. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I was so disappointed at the condition of the Resort. Everywhere you look from carpet to walls, coffee maker and an ac unit that rattled ALL Night!! I would not stay there again until they do a renovation. I certainly cant recommend it to anyone else.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Raymond,

Thank you for your feedback. We’ve been working with our housekeeping and maintenance teams to fix the issues you ran into, but we’re very sorry they weren’t resolved sooner. At our hotel, we take your comments very seriously and will work to prevent additional disturbances for future guests.

Thanks again for your review and we hope you stay with us the next time you return to the area.

Kind Regards,
The DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego Downtown

Reviewed 18 April 2014

The entire staff at the Double Tree San Diego is wonderful. Everyone greets you with a smile and goes the extra mile to make sure that your needs are taken care of. I have used them for lodging as well as for banquet set up for business events. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the area because it is close to many attractions. Where they lack in extra amenities (such as the lounges that are in some of the larger Hilton brands) they exceed your expectations in other areas. The view is incredible, the rooms are clean and spacious, and as I said before the entire staff (most of whom I know by name) is incredible.

Room Tip: The rooms facing cedar street have the best view of the city and the harbor. Request a room above th...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business