“Comfy overnight stay”

Ranked #110 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
“Comfy overnight stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed here overnight for a medical presentation that was held on property.

I am a HHonors member so it was nice to stay at a property that provides all of the services and amenities that I expect when I travel.

I was greeted by Manny at the Front Desk. He was very friendly and acknowledged me as a HHonors member. He provided me with a room on the 17th Floor, along with some bottled water and 2 cookies (yum!)

I really liked the room. It overlooked the expressway and had an accessible balcony. Below, and adjacent to the hotel was a little dog park where guests could let the animals enjoy some exercise!

The breakfast buffet was nice. There was an assortment of pastries, fruits, and meats. I had oatmeal with fruit and some toast. The only complaint that I have is that the tables were not as clean as I would have expected, not to mention that there were a few tables that were sitting with used dishes on them and had not been serviced. I just assumed they were short staffed or something because one of the servers was kind enough to personally clean a table for me. There were some other patrons who had to wait for tables, but it was nothing pressing or serious.

The banquet space for the meeting was adequate. There were about 100 of us in the room. The acoustics in the room were nice enough where I didn't need a mic to do my presentation (it's a little thing but it means a lot!)

My greatest joy, upon checkout, I got 2 cookies for my return flight home! (YUM) Overall, I enjoyed my stay here and would probably come back when I travel for leisure to San Diego.

Room Tip: Always on the top floor, if you can get it.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
cheyenne, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

accomodations dated and awkward; staff not friendly but location to little italy and convention center walkable if you like to walk. pool and hot tub nicely located on 5th floor so view of harbor possible. rooms were average hotel rooms and fairly small but ok considering we were out and about for the majority of the time. I would not stay here again and would not reccomend as there are better deals and nicer places out there. i felt like it was considerably expensive. The sliding glass doors are old and don't seal well letting a howling wind squeal through all night long. I hope this is 200 characters because I really have nothing else to write!

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Kim,

Thank you for sharing your stay with us on Trip Advisor. At our hotel, we know that the look of our guestrooms is very important. We will continue to focus on a great guest experience and will use reviews like yours to see what improvements we can make to update our rooms. We hope you’ll visit us again and tell us what you think. Thank you!

Kind Regards,
The DoubleTree by Hilton San Diego Downtown

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Aurora, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

The location is close to everything. Within blocks of the gaslight district and the water front. Plenty of eateries to choose from as well as bars. The hotel restaurant also has good food, or at least they did the last time I stayed there. The staff is extremely nice and helpful. The beds are comfortable and the bedding is cozy. The pool area was big and could have used a few more lounge chairs, but was adequate.

1 Thank M 24342 M
Chesapeake, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Perfect spot, perfect view, perfect room. Only problem is the parking garage. Too tight, too narrow and very nerve racking to enter and exit. I will definitely stay here again and hope to bring my wife the next time. Even with the airport in view and seeing every returning flight it was magnificent!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

I was very impressed with the Doubletree. The staff was extremely helpful. Our room was in perfect condition, enjoyed the mints, the cookies and the friendly staff. I'm already planning on staying here on my next trip to San Diego.

Laguna Hills, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel is in a great location if you are looking to stays in the City, but still maintain that small town fill. Little Italy is reviving its imagine with new hip restaurants like Ironside. Certainly, take a walk through the neighborhood. This hotel has comfortable rooms, great fitness center, and a outside pool and hot tub on the 5th floor. If you are planning to stay here for a family trip, leave the SUV at home as the parking structure is really tight to navigate a large vehicle through. When I return I will take a full size car instead of a SUV.

South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed 5 nights at this location, we were in town for a family function. Booking the room to begin with was an inconvenience, because apparently their computer system won't handle different room rates. We had to have two separate reservations, which required 3 different phone calls to get correct.
Our plane was delayed and I called from the tarmac @ Dulles to tell the Doubletree that it would be 1am before we arrived. "No problem" they said. "We'll be waiting on you". When we finally arrived @ 12:30, we called for the shuttle and was informed that they don't run that late, we'd have to take a taxi.
After finally arriving, straightening out our reservation again (I thought), we made it to our room a little after 1am. The ocean view faced the airport, and a small sliver of bay that we had to step outside to see. The extra towels I'd requested ahead of time were not there. Something had been ripped off the wall in the bathroom. I'm not sure if it was a towel rack or a picture. Either way, all that was left was broken pieces embedded in the wall.
The room was clean and spacious. The bed and pillows were comfortable., Plenty of hangers, drawer space and the hair dryer and iron were clean and worked. The restaurant buffet breakfast was very good but like the front desk, the service was lacking. We ate there 3 days, and I never got a coffee refill unless we got up and got it ourselves.
The Doubletree Downtown is in an excellent location on the edge of Little Italy. Within walking distance of many restaurants and the bay area.
That is the last nice thing I am able to say about the Doubletree Downtown San Diego. The water pressure and water heaters in this hotel are horrendous. 20 minutes to heat up the shower, and even then you were taking chances. No water pressure on the 16th floor, the temperature of the water would change randomly from scalding to cold. I didn't take a single comfortable shower the entire trip. Our last morning, my 4am shower was lukewarm, and that's the best I got.
I never got warm water in the sink, only cold. I tried to let the front desk know that they had an issue, and was told that they were aware.
We had to have our room keys redone 3 separate times. They'd just stop working. The balcony sliding glass door kept going off track.
Because we were there for family, we did not spend a great deal of time in the room, or I probably would have made a bigger deal about the problems and maybe I should have but frankly, it was more hassle than it was worth at the time.
The amenities booklet in the room advertises the airport shuttle from 5am til midnight. When I asked to reserve 2 spots on their 5am shuttle, I was told that they didn't have one. I was told 5:15 was the earliest. Later that evening, I asked again. This time I was told that the earliest was 5:30. If I needed earlier, we'd have to take a taxi.
The next morning I went down at 4:40am to ask them to order us a taxi. The desk clerk did call, but then said she couldn't guarantee it at 5am?
As we left the building with our luggage at 4:55, not a single taxi. But wait! The hotel shuttle, the one that didn't leave at 5am was loading up to take flight crew to the airport and we were able to catch it. It left promptly at 5am. The driver said he made that run every morning.
Some of it controllable, some of it not, but very strange customer service. I think we'll stay elsewhere on our next visit to San Diego.