“Location and staff A+”

Ranked #110 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Tucson, Arizona
“Location and staff A+”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Great location within walking distance of Little Italy and the Harbor. GREAT seafood recommendation from the front desk. Shuttle service was available to airport. The hotel lobby bar was nice with good food and specials. The breakfast buffet was what I expect from Hilton. The omelet station chef was very friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel is located close to to the freeway system and w/i walking distance to great restaurants, the Harbor and the Gas Lamp district. Easy access to almost everything. We were able to reach Old Town, the Zoo, Balboa Park, Sea World, SeaPort Village and many other attractions and venues with in 10 minutes or less.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Manassas, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is my third stay at the Doubletree.

The positives, it is close to little Italy and just about everything. Including my favorite gelato store! yum!

The bad:
1. Noisy due to proximity to highway and airport.
2. Parking garage extremely narrow and a challenge to navigate especially if you are in a large SUV or truck (rent a small/compact/mid-size car if your staying here.
3. Apparently the hotel now caters to drunks, and partiers.

I checked in and we were given a room right above the pool. I immediately request to be moved, no big deal. Was moved to a room not facing the pool side. Then 4 drunken hooligans checked in at 2am and were loud and obnoxious. I called the "careline" they sent security up. 20 minutes later my neighbors are being jerks again. Whatever, I try to sleep the best I can, go down the next morning to the front desk. They said that they have no rooms available to move me to, but will "take care of it" if it happens again...ok whatever.

Well it comes to be 11pm on my second night, and guess whose right back at it? My jerk neighbors in 2210. I call the careline, they send security. 2210 quiets down for 20 minutes then starts the crap again. Mind you, I faced the LA side of the building, so I could hear them over the freeway noise and the airplanes landing at night....that is no small feet. Moral of the story, if you expect this hotel to do anything about unruly guests, don't stay here. This will be our last stay here as there are many other hilton properties in San Diego, that don't have these noisy neighbor issues.

I gave the hotel plenty of chances to correct issues, and they failed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests, since we work hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience. We are glad you were satisfied with our location and we see that noise was an issue during your stay. We are sorry that other guests interrupted your comfort and we’ve shared your review with our security team.

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Elk Grove, Ca
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is my second stay at this property. First time I stayed, my experience was along the lines of "average" so I thought I'd give it another try since the location was very close to work and the Marine Corp Depot where my son was graduating from boot camp.

I'll start with the positives:
1. Great location. Walking distance to many great restaurants in Little Italy and the Gaslamp area.
2. The rooms were very clean and comfortable.

Negatives:
1. Noisy due to proximity to highway and airport.
3. The pool area furniture is faded and tired. While we were using the pool on a late Saturday afternoon, there were a group of people blasting music and smoking pot around kids and families in the pool area. The staff at the bar didn't seem to care enough to alert her management or anyone to address the issue despite the fact that guests were uncomfortable and packing up their kids and leaving.
4. Customer service: We reserved a room for 4 guests and requested a room with 2 double beds but were given a room with one king bed and told that they could not guarantee our room type and had to give us what was available upon arrival. After several minutes of having to explain (to unapologetic staff at the front desk) how unreasonable it was to expect 4 adults to share one king size bed, they put us in the room we requested and instructed me to meet them outside the new room where one of the staff would bring me a new set of keys. After 10 minutes of waiting, I had to call down to the front desk and ask when someone would be arriving with keys. Eventually, after speaking with the general manager 24 hours later, we received an apology and nice fruit and cheese tray in our room but it didn't really make up for much considering the numerous other issues we experienced throughout our stay.
5. Billing: Upon check out and after we departed for the airport, I noticed that my card had numerous preauthorized charges (separate from the initial preauthorized charge) and we had been double billed for one of our rooms at check out. After notifying the hotel and asking them to resolve this issue, I have yet to hear from anyone despite their promise to get back to me within 24 hours. This issue remains unresolved.

It's unlikely I will stay at this property again as a result of the hassles we dealt with during our stay, and while the manager made some effort to apologize and send us a gift, I don't get the sense that the staff here take the customer's concerns serious or care about providing good customer service.

San Diego is full of great hotels. I won't have a hard time picking another one for future business or leisure trips.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
joanieclapper, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree Hotel San Diego Downtown, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your honest review of your recent stay with our hotel. We are very sorry that the guestroom you initially received was unsatisfactory. While we can’t meet room type requests every time, we have shared your comments with our front desk team so they are aware of the situation moving forward.

I apologize for the environment you encountered in our pool area and the billing issues you’ve ran into. Please reach out to me if the issue has not yet been resolved. We hope you’ll give us another try the next time your travels bring you to the area.

jclapper@doubletreesandiego.net
619-819-4655
Wauwatosa, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is a great place to stay. Large, clean rooms, great veranda looking out over the city, absolutely sound-proof bathroom, super delicious & convenient lobby cafe! Most important aspect of this hotel beyond all the above is the outstanding hotel staff making you feel welcomed and valued - attending to any need that arises. Many kudos to all the staff!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Hayward, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

The service at this hotel was excellent and consistent throughout. The staff were friendly accommodating and made me feel like an individual. It also is in a great location close to many restaurants and the airport. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I checked in and my key allowed me access to a VIP floor room never vacated by the previous guests, clothes and personal belongings everywhere. The room key for my second room again on the 20th floor couldn't open the door. The third time the manager came with me and we were successful. The next morning I quickly learned that the shower head was broken and I needed to hold it upright to shower or it just sprayed the wall. There was a small drip all night in the shower. I imagine the housekeeper was well aware of this issue since it's how they clean the tub/shower combo. The only bright side of this place was the waitress in the restaurant who was very accomodating and didn't push us out at 10PM when it closed. Needs a little updating and better management. I'm not sure how the front desk could say the room was cleaned by housekeeping when no one really checked out.

1 Thank 835nancym
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback in regards to the shower head not working in your room. I've worked with maintenance to fix the issue, however I apologize that it wasn't resolved sooner. I’m sorry that your first room wasn’t properly cleaned and that a manager had to assist you with entry into your second room.

Thank you again for your review and I invite you to stay with us the next time you return to the area.