“good location..not too far off the beaten path!”

Four Points by Sheraton San Diego
Ranked #197 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
arizona
“good location..not too far off the beaten path!”
Reviewed 28 July 2009

We had stayed at this hotel once before this trip. The hotel is clean and the staff are very friendly. Upon our arrival our room was not ready so we waited about 30 minutes and then the manager of the hotel came to us and offered us some free drinks and food from the hotels coffee bar. We didnt really want anything but she almost insisted so we took her up on it. It was a very nice gesture on her part and we didnt care that we had to wait to get into our room. That was not an issue for us because we were not in that big of a hurry and the lobby was very nice. The room was adequate even though they dont put alot of frills to the room. Only bad thing with our room was our bed. The mattress sunk terribly in the middle and that creates a back problem for us. Mattress should be updated but other than that the room was great. They give alot of amenities and even though the room didnt come with a hairdryer in it we just had to ask and we received a brand new one within minutes! :)..Very accomadating and very close to the freeways so there is easy access to alot from this hotel. It is not downtown but it is a very handy hotel in getting around san diego. We will definitely stay there again when in san diego!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bnanafana

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Four points San Diego was a pleasant stay. We arrived in the early afternoon and would not expect our room would be ready. However, the reservation staff made every attempt to get us a room even when we said that we can return later. He had a room that would be ready in 5 minutes.
The room was a suite with two separate connecting rooms. The room was clean and had a classic style we have seen many years in the past. Each room had a separate air conditioning unit (commonly call a swamp cooler). Internet is free at all Four Point hotels and there is no charge for parking and there is no valet or luggage assistance. The Hotel is located off the freeway tucked in the corner among the palm trees. I do not think we could have found this place without our navigator.
We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The staff was concerned about our comfort while at the hotel and the reservation staff made every attempt to get us the best room as a platinum member. The hotel could use an upgrade.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed 22 June 2009

My Dad and I drove down the coast to 'America's Finest City' this past weekend to see The Padres vs. Oakland at Petco. We decided to stay at Four Points S.D. due to it's location (Near Montgomery Field & Downtown S.D.) and the fact we've stayed here before (last year while the hotel was under renovation). Well, the hotel renovation is complete, and we were quite impressed with the result. Yes, other reviewers have commented on 'The Prison-like hallways' but the room is anything but a 'cell' - The Beds were comfy, the coffee free and a fridge along with microwave. The room was quite modern with wood-trim touches. I liked it, and along with the outdoor Pool & Jacuzzi - This property has become one of my favorites. We will most certainly return. Peace - JG

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Pros: Good location near restaurants and stores, fridge & microwave in room, free water bottles, free wireless in rooms, free parking, nice shower/water pressure, recently renovated

Cons: The room seemed pretty awkward - all of the furniture seemed too big for the living room in the suite. Although recently renovated, still seems old.

We stayed in a suite using our Starwood points and chose this hotel over the Sheraton Suites because of location and since it was recently renovated. However, I think next time I'd try the Sheraton. Even though this was remodeled, it still seems tired/old. Also, the other entrances to the hotel (away from the lobby) didn't seem secure - the doors were always propped open or unlocked.

We did like the fact that there was a small fridge and microwave. The fridge was actually cold and the freezer actually froze! Sometimes, that doesn't happen in hotel fridges.

The crib that was provided for our toddler was a mini-crib - much smaller than a regular sized crib. If she was over 2 years old, it would've been to small.

We didn't encounter many other guests so we didn't have problems with noise, although I could hear the elevator going up and down although we were down the hall from it.

There's a very tired, old golf course which I can't believe they actually advertise as an "executive golf course."

Can't say anything about service since our room was located near one of the other entrances so we only saw the staff during check-in and check-out. I only saw housekeeping in the hallways once or twice during our stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
California
Reviewed 9 May 2009

Four Points by Sheraton
Well this will be my second time staying at the Four Points by Sheraton and unlike other reviews I am still not satisified with the room conditions. In fact I received the same exact room I did at my first stay. Overall the hotel is nice, the property seems to be in good condition, the parking is plenty ample, and free!! The room’s have mini fridges plus microwaves, thermostat controlled air conditioning, nice large spaced work desk and comfortable recliner. However the room is rather small in size and the décor seems rather blah.. Everything is just to plain, the housekeeping attention to detail isn’t that great either. I found multiple things in the bathroom alone that went uncleaned, or un-treated. The bathtub was rusty and the bathroom had a little smell to it. The bed was comfortable, the air worked great, and well everything just basically served its purpose, nothing more though. The tv was alright, decent amount of channels, however since the television was so old colors would blend from time to time, and the sound never sounded natural. It’s about time that the Four Points upgrade to new flat panel tv’s, but that would mean they would also have to focus more on keeping the room clean and up to date.
Like I said it wasn’t the worst hotel I have stayed in, but basically it’s just a little better than a Ramada or Super 8. I would definitely reconsider this hotels 3 star rating. I would say the only reason its rated as a 3 star establishment is because of the restaurants and the convention area, along with the golf course, which are all fine and dandy, but they lack in attention to detail in their rooms. I would much rather spend the little more money and stay at the Courtyard or Doubletree, and get a much better experience, even if I would have to pay for parking over there. It’s much worth it for the comfort. On another bright note the staff was friendly and always wanting to help, which means that if no other hotels were available I would be coming back to this one, because in the end, its not the worst. Oh and what is with the prison like hallways? They make the hotel very unbecomming.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Scotts Valley, California
Reviewed 14 January 2009

This was my 5th stay here in 3 months and every visit has been excellent. The staff has been friendly and helpful every time. The rooms have been clean, the location is surprisingly central, and the rates are just right to keep the value high. Unless I really have to be downtown, this is my first choice hotel in San Diego.

• Liked — Service is always excellent
  • Disliked — the pool is very basic
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 December 2008

I actually booked this hotel by mistake.. wanted to stay at the Holiday Inn Express downtown, but we were looking at Four Points in Los Angeles and "Four Points" somehow stuck in my head. By the time I realized that I clicked on the wrong link for San Diego, it was too late to do anything (the rate we got it for was completely non-refundable).

Nevertheless, we did not regret the mistake one little bit. This is a great hotel in a quiet area, and really not all that far away from downtown... 15 minutes by car via the 163 to the Gaslamp Quarter (on a Sunday morning).

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful when we asked for eating suggestions, scenic route driving suggestions to LA (we didn't just want to go on the I-5) and mailing our postcards. They even offered to drive us downtown for free in their shuttle, but we would have had to take a taxi back (about $30 they said), so we drove instead. (In our experience, no other hotel has ever offered anything for free--except the $50 play money we got in Vegas, on which we won $90.. :)

The hotel was very nice and clean. It did indeed look a little weird with the large hallways and all that, but we actually thought that was neat.. never seen a place like that. Someone before said that it was hard to find their room.. ever thought to inquire at the front desk how to GET to your room? :P

The room itself was spotless, as was the bathroom. Nothing fancy or anything but we didn't travel to San Diego to stay in the room. There were cheaper hotels of course, but for the extra few dollars (it cost CAD $105 per night) we got a clean room (where we didn't have to worry about the cockroaches scattering when we came in at night and turned the ligths on) and a very comfortable bed.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay (probably a total of 12-14 hours in the hotel itself in the two nights/three days we stayed in San Diego) and we will definitely consider staying here again.

• Liked — There was really nothing not to like. For the time we spent in the hotel itself, everything was great.
  • Disliked — There really was nothing not to like.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple