“Great Location for the airport”

Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
Ranked #107 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 February 2014

The proximity to the airport is great. The hotel shuttle runs every 15 minutes and is quite efficient. To the airport in just minutes. Tip, return the rental car the night before and take the hotel shuttle. As a vacation spot, it's ok but really is more of an airport/ business hotel. Rooms are clean, but nothing too special. Ask for a view of the marina. The other side gets tons of airport noise, not to mention a view of the highway and parking lots!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,952)

Reviewed 6 February 2014

the service was very good, the attention of the excellent staff, fantastic location, the tower frenta bay is perfect, the truth was incredible weekend, the only problem is you have to pay for parking.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Ok so I have stayed here before at the "Marina Tower" and it was absolutely gorgeous. One of the cleanest places I have ever stayed, beautiful views etc.... This time around they stuck us in the "Bay Tower" and it was a COMPLETELY different story.....

First off I was irritated because when I booked online I was not given the option and to tell you the truth I wasn't even positive that the second tower could be booked through them. Apparently the Marina Tower is where the high paying room rates stay and the chumps who get deals online (like us this time since it was last minute) get the "frat house tower"
I asked upon arrival and was told that "no sir we only have room in the Bay Tower" which I am positive is not true being it wasn't that busy there and it was only a Wednesday. So off we went to the Bay Tower which oh by the way you have two options to get to since it is almost 1/2 mile away........You can take a shuttle if there is one, or you can walk along the harbor which my wife and I did and it took us 12 minutes (and we walk all the time). We had luggage and thank god it had wheels. I was very irritated to say the least. I thought well hopefully like last time we have a nice view.......guess again. It was a parking lot by the road even after I requested one. The floors in the hallway were clearly stained and old, and finding out any information at the front desk in the Bay Tower was next to impossible as they basically had one clown standing around who constantly walked away from the counter. Again they clearly put the A team over at the Marina Tower. The room was clean for the most part, but it was a chilly San Diego night so my wife turned the heat on which kicked on and had this incredibly loud sound to it. The best way to describe it is just slightly quieter than a MRI machine I kid you not!!.
We than thought well at least we can get a bite to eat here...........Wrong the lounge was just a dump and not anything nice to sit at sooooooo we walked again over to the Marina Tower and had a nice dinner. We than came back and tossed and turned all night due to the extremely loud heater again. I honestly thought I was sleeping on a runway at the airport. The room was still $140 a night so its not like we got some incredible deal. So with that in mind YES I was ticked off because the last time we stayed it was so worth every dime at the Marina Tower. Certainly not the worst place I have stayed, but certainly not anything I would stay at again. Take my advice if you book for this hotel MAKE SURE you tell them you want the Marina Tower because the Bay Tower is a dive.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank chowdahead76
AustinGubrud, Manager at Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear chowdahead76,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for your recent stay. We are disappointed to hear your experience at our hotel was less than satisfactory.

It is never our intention to misrepresent our facilities and we apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We are deeply disappointed to hear that you did not receive the high level of service that we are known for. Your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate leadership and addressed immediately.

Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Warm Regards,

Austin Gubrud
Marketing Coordinator
Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina

Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed here for one night as part of a precruise package. The room had a pleasant view of the harbor and was clean and well mostly maintained. However, my mother and I don't like coffee and the choice of tea (Earl Grey or some orange tea) was not to our liking either. I asked the maid and then called the front desk for regular tea, which is apparently such a strange request that it's not available. I was offered room service but I just wanted a couple of regular teabags so that we could have tea when we felt like it. Should have brought some teabags with us, one of these days I'll remember. The TV did not work...no signal. It was not a big deal because we were only there for one night so I did not report it. I am not sure that the fridge had been switched on because it was warm...either that or it did not work.

Room Tip: Very close to the airport but a short taxi ride to downtown. You can walk along the harbor. Quite a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
AustinGubrud, Marketing Coordinator at Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear LindaWanderer2013,

Thank you for leaving such positive comments about our hotel and your time while in residence. Pairing spacious guestrooms, remarkable service and breathless views is a recipe for an unforgettable experience at our hotel.

Although your overall stay was excellent, we are disappointed to hear that our selection of teas were less than desirable. Also, the complications you experienced with the TV in your guestroom is unacceptable and we encourage you to report the incident immediately so we can provide you the experience you deserve. Please note that this is not the norm for our property and we will try our best to locate your room and fix the problem.

Thank you for your review and we hope for another opportunity to host you again when time permits.

Warm Regards,

Austin Gubrud
Marketing Coordinator
Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina

Reviewed 3 February 2014

The Sheraton Hotel on Harbor Island has a very scenic location that's convenient to the airport and close to downtown. We enjoyed the views of San Diego Bay from our room's window, and took lots of nice walks along the waterfront pathways nearby. Downsides: Be prepared to pay handsomely for parking (only available in the hotel's lot) & amenities (Internet access, etc.) unless you're a "preferred guest"!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank G C
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stay at this Hotel frequently for business. I have found that I am recognized as a return platinum member. The Hotel staff is friendly and most helpful.

I always get the same room which faces the City of San Diego, those are magnificent views at night. Occasionally I get the "President's Suite, which is a great room if it available.

The restaurant has good food, and the Food & Beverage Manger makes certain that I am well taken care of.

Do not be concerned about airplane noise, the airport has a curfew, and the airlines will stop flying in the evening, and start up about 6:00 am.

The Hotel is a short distance from the Airport by Hotel Shuttle.

Access to the City downtown area can be via Hotel Shuttle to the Airport and City Bus MTS bus Routes 923, and 992. Almost no need to rent a car.

The "Concierge Lounge" on the top floor of the Hotel is one of the best in the Sheraton System, food is plentiful and is of great quality during mornings and afternoons. The views from the lounge are outstanding, not only of the City, but ships passing the Hotel - bring your camera.

I agree, that this is the best Starwood Hotel in San Diego, and exceeds other Hotel brands as well.

Room Tip: A room facing the Marina may be a little quieter, but room facing the City have views that you will...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 February 2014

From the complimentary (and frequent) airport bus service to the express check-out, it was a good visit, especially for thise who had to come and go from varoius parts of the country. The buffets, both inside and outside, were excellent; the Mexican band, not so. For those who were not as business-oriented, and for their accompanying persons, it was a 10-minute cab ride to the tourist/shopping places of San Diego.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side faced the marina; rooms on the south side faced the bay; all had great views...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business