“Very Nice Conference Stay”

The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
Ranked #107 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Sheraton. The staff was friendly and helpful (esp the concierge). The rooms were nice and very clean. The pool area was nice, though doesn't get a ton of sun until later in the day. The lobby and public areas were very nice, and the on-site restaurants were good. The gym was nice enough to get a workout in and the sauna/shower was free to use. They rent bikes from the gym too, which was nice, though we didn't partake. There are a few downsides to this location: It is close to the airport which is very convenient (esp because they have free shuttles), but it is also loud. I was woken up each morning by the sounds of planes taking off. There is also not much close by, so unless you have a car you are sort of stuck there to eat. The restaurants were good though. We did rent a car which is not "on-site" as their website claims. The concierge calls Enterprise, who comes to pick you up. The entire process took an hour before we were in a car, though you can drop it off at the hotel lot and leave the keys with the concierge, so that is convenient. Wifi is $12/night, though it is free in the lobby. I do think the rates were a bit high, and we didn't like the "stuck" feeling of the location as there are no restaurants or bars close, but otherwise the service, rooms, and property are very nice.

Room Tip: See if you can get one facing away from the airport.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,930)

Reviewed 29 April 2014

This was our second stay at thins hotel..Nice rooms, clean. Really enjoyed our stay. View overlooking city...nice fire pits to sit around at night...Wish there was not such a charge for parking...When did Hotels start thinking they should charge for parking?. Like being charged to park at the Grocer...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
AustinGubrud, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Lovetotravel720,

Thank you for the kind words and for your recent stay. We are so glad to hear that you used our facilities to the fullest and enjoyed the breath taking views of the bay.

Aside from the beautiful and peaceful location - it’s our staff that helps create those unforgettable experiences. Thank you for pointing out all the great qualities of our hotel that helped make your stay unforgettable.

Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back for another great stay.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

This hotel is by the airport on Harbour Island. Meaning that you can hear aircraft and you are 3 miles from downtown. This may or may not be a deal breaker for you. There is basically no services within a short walking distance from this hotel. You will NEED to rent a car (which you can do for dirt cheap in this city). Consider this when booking. My wife had a conference here so this is where we needed to stay.

This is a old Sheraton so I figured it would be rough around the edges. This was not the case generally. Our room (a junior suite) was in good shape over all. Only real gripe I had was that the sofa and lounge chair had many white stains View of the city was great. Service was good too and very friendly. Anytime I requested something it was done promptly and without question. Frequent shuttles to the airport are available for free (which can then connect you to car rental shuttles).

The hotel is located on a running trail that hooks up to a few others to the west and connects you with downtown as well.

If you need to stay here you'll be happy.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Man this review is a bummer to write. Being a SPG member, I highly recommended this hotel for my whole family and to stay at for my sister's wedding. My poor father paid for everything for the family and guests. We will all suppose to have the Marina Suite - Marina Tower. My dad verified twice over the phone prior to us coming out there. You can guess what happened. Not 1 was reserved for us. We were scattered around the hotel, and my family was put in the old tower with the suites that had stairs. Very small, and dangerous for for my newly walking infant. I asked if they had a gate for the stairs, I was told no. I had to take my dads suite for the weekend as he was stuck in a single none suite room for the night (no more suites available). My friends were given the room next to that (one with stairs). The banister was coming off the wall, paint was peeling off the walls, Mildew smell. I was completely embarrassed at this point. So they gave them connecting rooms. That night their 8 year old daughter puts her head down on the pillow, and the picture tells the story. Crap or blood all over it. They called the front desk and where horrified to find out that the manager on duty kept trying to play off and redirect the issue. My father and I spoke to the manager the following day. He said that it was RUST on the pillow. You have to be kidding me! A joke, a shame, I was embarrassed for him on the stand he took on the issue. I was embarrassed for the CEO of Starwood. Look at the picture I said, and he said it was JUST rust. How does rust get on a pillow anyway? Disgusting! Sure they credited the room for the night, but we were all still very unsatisfied. Rooms not ready for us, scattered all over the hotel, not getting the rooms we paid for. Boy they are great for apologizing. Never heard the word sorry so much before. But sorry doesn't cut it. My dad did get his Maria Suite the following day. Opened up the refrigerator and almost puked do the science project left behind in it. Back down to the manager he had to go again. I am sure I will get a general response from SPG that they are so sorry for this, and will take it into consideration for future guests. But that is not good enough. Put your money where your mouth is SPG, fix this issue better. I asked the manager to comp all the rooms for us. He said no. I said comp half of them, he said no. So apparently they won't do the thinking on this, and they don't want anyone else's opinions either. What a horrible stay, money lost, and almost ruined the wedding we were all there to enjoy.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Tim h
AustinGubrud, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Tim h,

Thank you again for your TripAdvisor review. We will contact you directly as we would like to make this right.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Although decorated nicely, this hotel was a rip off. When calling to make my reservation for the San Diego half marathon, I specifically asked if this hotel was the Sheraton with a Half Marathon Participant Rate and a shuttle. They confirmed they they did have that rate, and a shuttle. However it was not until check in that I was told the shuttle only goes to the airport next door and not to the marathon- which was 4 miles away. They suggested transportation that would cost me $20 each way. I was also disappointed to find they charged for wireless in the rooms. The room was basic, small, and confining. I had a hard time using the unusually small shower - even as a small female. Additionally, my family and young child was with me and at 11 pm our neighbor decided to smoke marijuana which directly came through the vent into our room . Security came to assess the situation but 30 min later it happened again! Their solution was to switch our rooms but to wake up and move the whole family at midnight was just an inconvenience. Needless to say it was not a restful night before an early morning race. When returning to the hotel the next day I asked for a late checkout and had to agree to be charged for it, and it would double for each hr after checkout. I had to complain to the front desk for all the issues and they agreed to not charge the late checkout and credit me $25- which basically paid for my parking. Once I returned home, I found the charges on my credit card did not match the charges showing on my receipt. I was due back additional money for the overcharge. I booked this hotel for comfortable lodging and transportation during my stay and they failed . They're solution to credit such a small portion has finalized my decision to never return or recommend them. I worked in the hotel industry for over 10yrs and can be understanding of situations the hotel can not control. But I also know where there is an opportunity to make right and I feel their efforts were minimal at best.

• Stayed: March 2014

Dear Prestonbs,

Thank you very much for your review and recent stay. We appreciate your loyalty and we are deeply disappointed to hear that your latest experience was less than satisfactory.

The lack-luster assistance you received is unacceptable and will surely be addressed. Please accept our apology and take note that this is not the norm for our hotel. Providing impeccable service, especially with billing, is essential to our goal of creating a home away from home and your comments will prove valuable to our ongoing efforts.

Thank you again for your TripAdvisor review. We hope to welcome you back for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Had nice 6 day stay for conference. Really enjoyed our time in this wonderful city and will return. Check in was difficult as girl appeared to be learning . She did not give any instructions at all on where to find room or other hotel features.
Room confortable, Did not opt for the green feature as it was not adequately explained, now i know more will do it next time. Confused re bill on discharge . Some charges not expected but others have mentioned this too.
Conciege lacking in basic knowledge re transport options. Curb side staff were absolutely fabulous
Difficult location without a car but we used cabs and despite the cost it worked well. Will definately return and will stay here again

Room Tip: hing room bay side
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Had to stay here for a conference for three nights. Room clean, bed so-so. Small room. Great staff who are very friendly and competent. Parking is a total joke and rip off. Nothing within walking distance to speak off but not far from Gaslamp quarter~10minutes. Would not stay here again unless business brought me here.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear get5150,

Your recent stay and thoughtful review is extremely valuable to our ongoing efforts here at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina.

We are pleased to hear our associates provided great service throughout your stay, but disappointed to hear you did not enjoy the location. Being so close to the downtown area, our Front Desk and concierge team are a great resource for activities and dining recommendations.

Thank you, again, for your review and we are hopeful for the opportunity to host you when your travel plans permit.