“Suprised”

GreenLeadersGold level
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Suprised”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

After reading about the hotel on trip advisor I was a little concerned, but the facility was quite nice. We had a beautiful view of the marina from our room with a balcony, I was there for a conference so I did not see much of the area. There was a nice restaurant within walking distance. There are two restaurants there and the food was not bad. A little expensive though. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Great rooms in the main building on the marina side
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
AustinGubrud, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear S Y,

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your recent stay. We truly love reading about remarkable experiences like the one you received. Adding special touches is where our property excels and we couldn't be happier to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Our staff will be pleased to hear about the job well done and the great experience you took home. Thank you for sharing your comments and we hope to host you again when travel plans permit.

Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,198)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

This place really pleased us.

As SPG members we were given a room on level 10 which was extremely fresh, different in a good way, and had a great bed.

It had a small deck and an excellent view over the Marina.

Just out of the lifts on L10 is a window giving a fantastic view over the harbour, too.

To a person, the front desk staff, and bellman, were the happiest we have seen in their work in any hotel in our tour. This made them enjoyable to deal with, and they were helpful.

The lady in the gift shop not so much. But it is an otherwise very good hotel shop with just the drugs I needed for my cold, and some unusually fine souvenir tee shirts.

The spa pool and pool were just the right temperature as far as we are concerned, and the gym good (though I missed a rowing machine).

Of all the hotels we have stayed in so far in this tour, only the pink palace in Waikiki was better. And that was about 3 times the price.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

I was here to celebrate my birthday. I had decided to treat myself to an upgraded room, a suite. Upon checking into my room the couch had stains/dust on it. Was able to move to another room and the same thing was on the new couch as well. There was a huge white stain on the couch in the new room and a stain on the carpet. I decided to speak with a manager in the morning due to it being my birthday and not wanting to deal with it anymore. Later that night I asked for a toothbrush to be brought to the room and there was MOLD on the outside when I received it. I was beyond disgusted. The only thing good about this hotel was the bellman that helped me to my room AND to help move to the new room. Other than that I would NEVER stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank cariave
Dear cariave,

Thank you for your recent stay and for the time taken to post your review on TripAdvisor. It is with candid feedback like yours that we are able to improve our guest satisfaction and provide every guest a stay to remember.

We like to take this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced while in residence. It is disappointing to hear that your room did not meet your expectations, as we certainly want our guest to have a comfortable place to rest. Our property commonly receives good comments about our attention to detail and cleanliness, which is why your comments will be included in the next leadership meeting.

Here at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina, we take every opportunity to make a guest feel welcomed and appreciated. With that said, we are deeply sorry that you did not experience this on your birthday. Please note that this is not the norm for our property and your comments will be addressed.

Thank you, again, for leaving your comments. We are hopeful to earn another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel and staff.

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Sheraton. The staff was friendly and helpful (esp the concierge). The rooms were nice and very clean. The pool area was nice, though doesn't get a ton of sun until later in the day. The lobby and public areas were very nice, and the on-site restaurants were good. The gym was nice enough to get a workout in and the sauna/shower was free to use. They rent bikes from the gym too, which was nice, though we didn't partake. There are a few downsides to this location: It is close to the airport which is very convenient (esp because they have free shuttles), but it is also loud. I was woken up each morning by the sounds of planes taking off. There is also not much close by, so unless you have a car you are sort of stuck there to eat. The restaurants were good though. We did rent a car which is not "on-site" as their website claims. The concierge calls Enterprise, who comes to pick you up. The entire process took an hour before we were in a car, though you can drop it off at the hotel lot and leave the keys with the concierge, so that is convenient. Wifi is $12/night, though it is free in the lobby. I do think the rates were a bit high, and we didn't like the "stuck" feeling of the location as there are no restaurants or bars close, but otherwise the service, rooms, and property are very nice.

Room Tip: See if you can get one facing away from the airport.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Tx
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This was our second stay at thins hotel..Nice rooms, clean. Really enjoyed our stay. View overlooking city...nice fire pits to sit around at night...Wish there was not such a charge for parking...When did Hotels start thinking they should charge for parking?. Like being charged to park at the Grocer...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lovetotravel720,

Thank you for the kind words and for your recent stay. We are so glad to hear that you used our facilities to the fullest and enjoyed the breath taking views of the bay.

Aside from the beautiful and peaceful location - it’s our staff that helps create those unforgettable experiences. Thank you for pointing out all the great qualities of our hotel that helped make your stay unforgettable.

Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back for another great stay.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This hotel is by the airport on Harbour Island. Meaning that you can hear aircraft and you are 3 miles from downtown. This may or may not be a deal breaker for you. There is basically no services within a short walking distance from this hotel. You will NEED to rent a car (which you can do for dirt cheap in this city). Consider this when booking. My wife had a conference here so this is where we needed to stay.

This is a old Sheraton so I figured it would be rough around the edges. This was not the case generally. Our room (a junior suite) was in good shape over all. Only real gripe I had was that the sofa and lounge chair had many white stains View of the city was great. Service was good too and very friendly. Anytime I requested something it was done promptly and without question. Frequent shuttles to the airport are available for free (which can then connect you to car rental shuttles).

The hotel is located on a running trail that hooks up to a few others to the west and connects you with downtown as well.

If you need to stay here you'll be happy.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Redlands
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Man this review is a bummer to write. Being a SPG member, I highly recommended this hotel for my whole family and to stay at for my sister's wedding. My poor father paid for everything for the family and guests. We will all suppose to have the Marina Suite - Marina Tower. My dad verified twice over the phone prior to us coming out there. You can guess what happened. Not 1 was reserved for us. We were scattered around the hotel, and my family was put in the old tower with the suites that had stairs. Very small, and dangerous for for my newly walking infant. I asked if they had a gate for the stairs, I was told no. I had to take my dads suite for the weekend as he was stuck in a single none suite room for the night (no more suites available). My friends were given the room next to that (one with stairs). The banister was coming off the wall, paint was peeling off the walls, Mildew smell. I was completely embarrassed at this point. So they gave them connecting rooms. That night their 8 year old daughter puts her head down on the pillow, and the picture tells the story. Crap or blood all over it. They called the front desk and where horrified to find out that the manager on duty kept trying to play off and redirect the issue. My father and I spoke to the manager the following day. He said that it was RUST on the pillow. You have to be kidding me! A joke, a shame, I was embarrassed for him on the stand he took on the issue. I was embarrassed for the CEO of Starwood. Look at the picture I said, and he said it was JUST rust. How does rust get on a pillow anyway? Disgusting! Sure they credited the room for the night, but we were all still very unsatisfied. Rooms not ready for us, scattered all over the hotel, not getting the rooms we paid for. Boy they are great for apologizing. Never heard the word sorry so much before. But sorry doesn't cut it. My dad did get his Maria Suite the following day. Opened up the refrigerator and almost puked do the science project left behind in it. Back down to the manager he had to go again. I am sure I will get a general response from SPG that they are so sorry for this, and will take it into consideration for future guests. But that is not good enough. Put your money where your mouth is SPG, fix this issue better. I asked the manager to comp all the rooms for us. He said no. I said comp half of them, he said no. So apparently they won't do the thinking on this, and they don't want anyone else's opinions either. What a horrible stay, money lost, and almost ruined the wedding we were all there to enjoy.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tim h
AustinGubrud, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Tim h,

Thank you again for your TripAdvisor review. We will contact you directly as we would like to make this right.