“Nice Hotel for Business Trips”

The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
Ranked #111 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed 6 nights in a room facing the marina.At check in I was given a room on the road side.But I asked for a change as soon as I realized I wouldn't be able to sleep due to the noise from the nearby airport.If you are on a business trip, this is a nice&clean hotel, with a good size of rooms&comfortable beds.Nevertheless it wouldn't be my first choice if I would stay for holidays.The best thing I liked was the breakfast with hot&cold choices&fresh fruits. Overall the hotel offers a nice accomodation and isn't far from downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the marina side (which is very quiet) if you cannot stand noise, as the rooms on t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina

Reviewed 18 August 2014

This hotel is located in an absolutely fantastic location. Right on the waterfront (separated by a road on the bay side) in both directions (the marina is in the rear of the hotel property). This hotel is actually a large two building complex. The larger of the two buildings houses the main hotel along with lounges and conference center. This building does not front to the bay. The smaller building has a bay view out front and a marina view in the back. There is also a lounge/restaurant in the smaller building. The two buildings are separated by about a five minute walk, but it is all along the water and very pleasant. I stayed in the smaller building. Rooms were beautiful and large. My only complaint would be that they could have done a better job of vacuuming my room and hallway. The hotel is right across the main road from the airport, so it is very convenient, however I did not hear any airport noise in my room or elsewhere inside.

Room Tip: If you would like a view of the bay ask for a room on the bay side of the Bay Tower.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
AustinGubrud, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for the great comments about your experience at our hotel. Most of all, thank you for recognizing our staff. We take great pride in our service and appreciate that you took the time to acknowledge our efforts.

Your comments are truly appreciated and we look forward to hosting you again when your travel plans permit.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

The location is hard to match. Pool and spa are great for families along with food and drinks brought to you. Club lounge is great for breakfast and late afternoon snacks. Valet parking is about $ 8.00 more than self parking. Sits right on the water and their are water sport rentals right outside the hotel

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views and if you want quieter choose the bay tower, however a walk to the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I loved this place. It's so cozy and cool. The location is excellent for everything . You can jog around the place around the port with a beautiful scenery of the beach. The breakfast is excellent and people in the hotel are very nice. I will definitely go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: The room with the view of the beach is excellent location.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

The staff will go above and beyond to ensure that guests have a wonderful stay. I stayed for an overbooked conference, but the employees handled everything professionally. What l loved the most was the active presence of both managers on duties, they were very engaged.

The food was pretty good. There is not a lot to do in walking distance and I refused to pay $50 to go
to the mall.

I'd definitely stay again!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2014

This hotel is on my list of favorite hotels. I had a view of the bay and was able to enjoy this view on the balcony. The staff was great. In the restaurants they made me feel as if I was spending a million bucks and believe me I was not spending that much. I ate in two of the restaurants and the food was better than I expected. I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the bay have a great view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kenfuller7

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I’ll start with background for this trip … I was traveling with my older mother and we went to San Diego to see the city before continuing on to meet up with family.

Our reservation was booked via our travel agent. I had forgotten to give my TA my Starwood number so I just called the hotel to add it myself. While doing so I confirmed the details of our booking, dates, rate & room category.

First bad impression – the concierge. I was given an e-mail address to send any inquires prior to travel. I emailed and I know the email was received because I got an auto response stating it was received. A week later I forwarded the email to the same address since I had yet to receive a response. Several days later I again forwarded the email. Three emails, three auto replies stating they have been received. I traveled, stayed and checked out 10 days ago and still no reply.

Second bad impression – arrived at the hotel to see 3 bellmen/doormen standing around chatting. No one approached to help us with our luggage. Their loss, I tip well!

Third bad impression – knowing it was a weekend with a conference coming in I called the hotel @ 3pm to ask that a room be blocked for our arrival since we would not be arriving until very late. We were booked for two beds and I wanted to be sure that we received a room with two beds (my Mom just had hip replacement surgery). Upon arrival at the hotel @ 1130pm this had not been done even though the person I spoke with said “I see your reservation right here. I will take care of it. You are all set” ---- it was not taken care of! Talk about lazy! I wish I had asked her name. Never thought to. Took her word for it that she would take care of it.

Forth bad impression – after waiting 20 minutes to check-in, @ 1130pm, with only one guest ahead of me, I had to deal with what I can only say is the most incompetent person I have ever encountered.
She spoke in a whisper so low I had to ask several times if she could repeat herself. I even asked her to speak up blaming the noise nearby (which really wasn’t loud, I was trying to be polite). This woman was useless. She stood stupefied that we booked a room with two beds in the Marina Tower and none were available. When I explained I had called to have one blocked it took her 5 minutes to process this and explain that it hadn’t been taken care of. Three trips to the back room. 20 minutes later and a chat with the manager on duty before we were checked in. To a room with a king bed. Being told that the next day we could change rooms to one with 2 beds, as we had been confirmed for. We were offered a cot. This was declined because my Mom just had a hip replacement and I was recovering from a slipped disc in my neck, a cot would not be good for either of us. She seemed very confused by this. We had to tell her THREE times that we did not want a cot. There is not enough time to explain how obnoxious this check-in was because this woman was nowhere near qualified to be working a hotel desk. After we got to our room and crawled into bed the phone rang just after midnite. It was housekeeping, they were outside the door with a cot. The cot we declined THREE times! Apparently the woman at the desk was not only unqualified to check guests in she had hearing issues too!

Fifth bad impression – at check-in I had been given the name of the next days manager (Robert) to contact in the AM regarding our room change. After three attempts to reach him I finally got someone at the front desk who explained he was with a guest and took a message. 30 minutes later with no call back I went to the front desk. I had to go from the Bay Tower to the Marina Tower (which is quite a distance). At the front desk I was told he was in the back on a call. Having run out of time I had to leave to meet someone. I left my name, number and a message. Like with the concierge I am still waiting for a response.

Around 1pm I called the hotel and I spoke with Jerica at the front desk and she went ahead and assigned our room for us. She said our luggage would be placed in our room (we had checked out of the Bay Tower and left it with the bellman). The bellman did not deliver our luggage. We had to call upon our return to the hotel at 1030pm. He then brought only 2 pieces and had to go back downstairs for the other luggage. Seems nothing at this hotel is every done correctly on first attempt.

With all this “bad” in my first 9 hrs there you can believe I was surely second guessing my decision to give this place a try.

As for the rest …..

ROOM/BAY TOWER: We spent one nite here due to the room screw-up. Large room. But in desperate need for renovations. The halls looked old and dirty.

ROOM/MARINA TOWER: Much smaller room than the Bay Tower. It was clean. Coffee maker in room. Mini-bar (but you can’t use it for your own personal items or you will be charged). Beds were comfy. Bathroom was a good size. They never left enough towels though. Plenty of counter space for toiletries. Small balcony, enough for two chairs and a small table.

MARINA TOWER: restaurant in lobby. Bar in lobby. Great pool & hot tub (towels available). Game room. Gym. Spa. Fire pit. It seemed all the hotel amenities were at the Marina Tower.

HOTEL LOCATION: Not much around it other than the airport and car rental offices. If you don’t want to dine at the hotel you will need a rental car, cab or the Big Bay Shuttle.

MISC: The hotel is a quick ride from the airport. There is an airport shuttle which we did not use so I don’t know how often it runs. Parking is expensive, $24/night – still cheaper than many of the downtown hotels. Buffet breakfast was delicious and worth the price, it was in the low $20’s pp – had we ordered al la carte off the menu it would have cost more. Big Bay Shuttle picks up frequently outside the front door and it is $3/day per person – tickets can be purchased from the concierge. The Marina Tower had a great bar. The smell in the lobby of the Marina Tower was overwhelming. It was as if a strong air freshener was being sprayed every minute. I am not one who is sensitive to smells, but I did all I could to avoid the lobby. The elevators were terribly slow, we sometimes waited upwards of 5 minutes for one.

End result, would I stay here again? The hotel was nice. Great location if you have a rental car or plan to cab it. Marina views were beautiful. Amenities were fine. But the staff was awful. There are many other places to stay where you can avoid such hassles & annoyances. My brother just booked a trip to SD for him & his kids and I told him to go elsewhere!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the Marina Tower
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for your recent stay. We are disappointed to hear your experience at our hotel was less than satisfactory.

It is never our intention to misrepresent our facilities and we apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We are deeply disappointed to hear that you did not receive the high level of service that we are known for. Your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate leadership and addressed immediately.

Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.