“What a view”

GreenLeadersGold level
Woburn, Massachusetts
“What a view”
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Was hesitant to stay a this Sheraton was surprised nice property good service clean rooms comfy beds and a million dollar view we upgraded to 11 th floor for 20 bucks more we booked this thru priceline for 100 bucks a night my only gripe was valet Parking 32$ a day totally absurd but I guess that's what you ll pay in any major city they should include it in your stay the restaurants are great too was a great stay thank you Sheraton

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nickholland
AustinGubrud, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Wow! Thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your recent stay. We truly love reading about remarkable experiences like the one you received. Adding special touches is where our property excels and we couldn't be happier to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Our staff will be pleased to hear about the job well done and the great experience you took home. Thank you for sharing your comments and we hope to host you again when travel plans permit.

Warm Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

I have just checked out of the Marina Tower at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina and I was thoroughly disappointed in my stay.

After a long day of travel I arrived at the hotel shortly after 10pm. There was immediate confusion upon check in over the availability of a room for me and the gentleman assisting me had to make a quick trip to the room he would be giving me to verifying its "housekeeping status" before he could hand over the key. I waited at the check in desk for nearly 30 minutes before he returned to advise me the room was undergoing some maintenance and would not be ready just yet. I was offered a double room on the noisy ground floor but I had booked a king and that is what I wanted. After nearly an hour at the check in desk I was finally on my way to a king room on the 11th floor.

The room was uninviting to say the least. Dirty carpet, beat up walls, doors and furnishings and the bathroom was extremely dated with a filthy old bath tub full of stains. Huge clumps of dust lurking on the furniture and carpet.

The hallways were equally filthy as was the majority of the hotel. Dated and in disrepair.

And who would have thought that a trip from the lobby to your room could turn into a 20 minute ordeal. There are only 2 small elevators, one which was out of service most of the time and it was not unusual to wait 10 minutes to board an elevator that would then stop at every floor on its ascent.

There is free wifi and computers available for use in the lobby and for the majority of my stay the lobby was crowded with loud and obnoxious teenagers screamed and playing games on the computers. I was shocked that a member of staff never approached them to ask that they keep it down.

The one thing I can say is that the young man who helped me at check in was very kind and did his best. He offered me a free buffet breakfast voucher and he was very apologetic. The breakfast was disappointing but it was a nice gesture just the same.

I would never return to this Sheraton and would urge anyone who travels regularly and has standards with respect to where they stay to avoid this noisy, unkept, derelict hotel!

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank FlyJayClass
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and for your recent stay. We are disappointed to hear your experience at our hotel was less than satisfactory.

We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We are deeply disappointed to hear that you did not receive the high level of service that we are known for.

Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We were in the Bay View Tower - Deluxe king room. Constant noise that sounds like an air conditioner although ours was turned off. Barely move and the bed squeaks, open/close the bathroom door and it squeaks. You can hear every time someone next door and the floor above flushes their toilet. We were on the 11th floor and could hear the noise from the road below. 6:15am heard someone knocking on a door several times from who knows where. All I could do it pray they would open the doggone door already. Could here people moving their chairs on the their balcony from the floor above us off & on all night. Not sure what they were moving around in the morning, but whatever it was, was loud. Every time someone opens or closes their room door you can hear it, even if it's down the hallway! So needless to say you hear everyone's conversations as well. If you are a light sleeper, do not stay here! You will need to take a vacation or staycation from your trip to this hotel.

On the positive side... The room was clean, the decor is nice and the Bay view is great! Front desk staff, valet, and guest services are all pleasant. This hotel gives you the option to text them for any needs. I gave them my number, immediately received welcome text. I sent a text asking for extra towels and a box of tissue. Received a confirmation reply & within 10 min. Items were delivered.

Hopefully this helps you in your decision making, because I made the wrong choice!
No rest for the weary!!!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, do not stay here! If you do stay, get the last top floor so that no floo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mauigurrl
Reviewed 31 August 2014

This is a place for those with more cents than sense. Not for the practical traveler. You will be overcharged for everything, and get mediocre to horrible service for it all.

First there's the parking. I pulled up and asked the parking attendant how much they wanted for self-parking, he said $24!, I left and parked down the street for less than half that. That is, $24 PER DAY! A couple days later I looked at my credit card statement and saw a $24 charge from this hotel. I called and was directed to their billing department, and after an inquiry to what the extra charge was, I was given a statement of my room expenses and they ADDED A $24 PARKING CHARGE TO MY ROOM!!!! Why on earth would parking ever be charged to a room is beyond me, especially since I never entered their parking lot, and never presented my credit card except at the front desk.

I responded to their billing department about how I did not park on their lot, and they have failed to respond to my concern for the invalid charges.

Beyond the horrible parking situation...during check-in I was told that my room was not yet ready. This was fairly late in the afternoon I might add. They said they would send me a text when it was ready, but after about 40 minutes of sitting in the lobby I went to the desk again to check on the status of my room, and suddenly it was ready after I inquired about what was taking so long.

The actual "Marina" tower is a few hundred yards away from their 'supposed' 4-star hotel. I was told by the front counter of their main tower that I could take a shuttle. Since I didn't know how far it was I decided to take a shuttle, but later determined that walking is much faster. I asked the valet parker where the shuttle to the other tower picked up passengers, and he had no idea if they even offered one. Seriously!! That should be a first-day training course lesson... that is of course if the staff was actually trained.

While on the shuttle, the driver left one of the passenger's luggage at the other tower, so she was forced to wait while it was retrieved. Yet another token of their horrible service.

So after about 1 1/2 hours of delay we finally made it to our room. The room was average, and the bedding was just ok. There was a wall plate partially ripped out of the wall, and dirty floor boards. There was a mini fridge in the room, which looked more like a safe. There was a warning on it stating that it had motion detection built into it... so if you want your room miss-charged for a bunch of their $5 candy bars then I dare you to open it.

The view was good, but so is the view in every other hotel in the area, so I recommend not letting that be a deciding factor.

I decided to relax and jump on my computer, but since I didn't want to use their ~$13 daily 'basic' wifi connection, I just tethered from my phone instead for free. If you really want to feel like someone special you can use their 'deluxe' wifi connection, for only ~$25 per day, from which I can only assume that you'd get about 150 kbps of unstable internet. Sheraton, it's not 2005 anymore! Wifi is a cheap commodity and everyone expects it to be free and fast these days!

The bottom line is that this hotel only cares about people who are willing and able to throw away money on everything, but even then they fail to deliver the service you'd expect for those ridiculous extra charges.

This was the worse hotel experience during our trip to California, and Sheraton has lost a customer for life. By perspective, we stayed at a Hampton Inn for under $100 (less than 1/2 the price we paid for this room at the Sheraton), with free parking, free unlimited premium coffee, free fast wifi, super comfortable bed with soft premium sheets, and a free breakfast buffet! My suggestion for this Sheraton hotel is to avoid it and to shop around, or get ready to receive some horrible overpriced service.

Room Tip: If you made the poor decision to stay at this hotel, you should insist on the top floors, or I imagi...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Scott H

Reviewed 29 August 2014

The hotel is pretty average, not near the same quality as other Starwood properties. A little overpriced. The front desk seems understaffed, especially at peak hours (check-in and check-out) so expect to wait 10-20 minutes. It's right across the street from the airport, so you'll hear occassional plane noise, but it's not too bad. It is nice to be able to get to the airport so easily for an early morning flight. Parking is expensive and hard to find.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank AlohaGirl86
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Stayed for work while attending Comicon and so was glad to be out of the city centre and away from the crowds. Hotel is reasonable, décor and service are reasonable if nothing special. Rooms are quiet and comfortable and breakfast was good.

Note that you will need a car, taxi or shuttle to get downtown as its a little too far to walk but its in a great location for the marina, bay and airport. The hotel is split between two building with a 5 minute walk through the marina between them, both are quiet but the Bay Tower is quieter as it doesn't have much of a bar and only a small restaurant. Both buildings have pools and hot tubs but the main buildings were better than the Bay Tower.

Food and service were both good for a hotel of this type even during Comicon which was a plus. I would definitely consider staying here again as while it was nothing special it was certainly adequate and reasonably priced as well.

Room Tip: Bay Tower is quiet but about a 5 minute walk along the marina from the main hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank NikBie
Shelton, Washington
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Decent place for a short stay but they have plenty of charges to tack on, so be careful. $25. to $35. per day for parking and half of the rooms look at a parking lot. A week after arriving home I am still trying to get charges against my credit card reversed!!!! Also, you can't use the in room refrigerator...it's just for their over priced sodas and candy bars!!! the price of the room was not worth the head aches!!!

Room Tip: As high up as you can go and face West!!!
Green Features: They have a program for saving water and washing towels and such.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kim H
Thank you for your review and recent stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina. It is always gratifying when we can create a welcoming experience for our guests. This is why your story is so upsetting to hear and we are deeply disappointed about how far short we fell of your expectations beginning at arrival.

The lack-luster assistance you received is unacceptable and will surely be addressed. Please accept our apology and take note that this is not the norm for our hotel. Providing impeccable service is essential to our goal of creating a home away from home and your comments will prove valuable to our ongoing efforts.

Thank you again for your review. We hope to welcome you back for another opportunity to demonstrate the potential of our hotel.