“wouldn't stay again”

GreenLeadersGold level
Ukiah, California
“wouldn't stay again”
Reviewed 24 March 2009

Very close to airport which was helpful. Checked in at Marina Tower. Young guys standing around that let customers also stand around. Room in Bay Tower which feels like staying at a budget hotel. Scratchy old generic white bath towels. Only enough for one shower (one set each). Nice bath products. Bathroom clean but so crowded. Small bathtub. I did like the bed and there were lots of pillows. View of the marina which was nice. We didn't mind the airport noise because we are pilots of a small plane, but it was frequent and loud. Not sure a non-pilot would be happy with that. No WiFi in the tower. Had to use an ethernet cable with my laptop. $12/day for internet that is slow. Couldn't watch internet videos because connection so slow. That really annoyed me. Restaurants had pretty good food but average service. Overpriced for what you get. Either lunch or dinner always $45 or more without liquor. Conference facilities fine. Long walk between the two towers which is nice for the most part. I will be back in SD for another conference in Oct. and will not plan to stay here.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
SSDHotelManagement, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 1 April 2009
Dear Guest,

We reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us and certainly take your feedback seriously. We apologize for the issues you encountered and hope you had the opportunity to address these concerns with the front desk, so we could have the opportunity to make it right. Again, thank you for your comments and feedback.

The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Portland, OR
Reviewed 23 March 2009

I got the room through Hotwire for about over $100 a night. I was a little concerned before the stay due to some pretty iffy reviews on Tripadvisor, but my wife and I both came away very happy. The rooms are very clean and brightly decorated. Someone commented how the color scheme gave her a headache, but I liked the bright blue nautical theme and it fit well with the hotel. We liked the location. The views are great, it's close to the airport and all the major attractions, and there's a walking/jogging trail right outside. Of note, there's FREE internet available in the lobby. They don't seem to advertise it, probably because they want you to pay for it in the room, but it's there. The only negative, which is probably true of all the major hotels in the city, is the outrageous $22 per day parking fee.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank yiching
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 March 2009

Stayed at this hotel for a meeting. The room and the facilities are nice. Be aware though that the hotel has 2 towers and they are NOT close to one another so if you are staying for a meeting ask to be in the tower where the meeting rooms are ( I believe it's the Marina tower). As far as airport noise I didn't hear it. I walked from the hotel to downtown, it's a 45 mins easy walk, there is a nice sidewalk that goes all round the bay, lots of people jogging and riding bikes so pretty safe. Didnt eat at the restaurants or used the pool, but my room was right in front of the pool and looked nice. You can walk to the hotel from the airport, it's right in front of it, 5 min walk. I didn't have any luggage with me so had no problem, but the hotel provides a free shuttle back and forth from the airport, but again it's extremely easy to get to it just by following the sidewalk.

Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Lestat1973
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 16 March 2009

We live in Vegas and love checking out the hotels here for a night away. This time we went to san diego for a 5 day extended weekend. The hotel is very nice, and we loved the view. The staff was very nice, and there response to our requests were unbelievably quick.
We were disapointed that the hotel we stayed in was actually around the corner and down the road from the pics that we reviewed on their site. Also, my husband became ill and we had to check out on the 15th instead of the 16th. When I went to the desk to check out at 8:30 am I didn't ask for a refund since we had pre paid thru the 16th, instead I was informed that I would be charged 100.00 for early check out. They had the room paid for through the next day and they still charged us 100.00. above that to check out early. I know I am repeating my self here, and I did with them too. they just explained that it was only a hundred dollars.
So if you stay and pay ahead of time for the stay, don't check out early. Other than this we love this hotel, and it centrally located to lots of family fun things to do!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank sterling
New York
Reviewed 16 March 2009

So much noise at this place, not just the airport noise, as noted and thus expected, but also from the marina, dozens of boats running all night. If you are so fortunate enough to be upgraded to a "marina view" room, refuse it, it is some sick joke or curse which Starwoods must be playing on its most valuable customers. Freaking miserable to stay here, absolutely miserable - bring ear plugs, good ones.

The room is otherwise fine, though, and the service friendly. If they would put in a decent sized bathtub and then make thicker doors on their marina view rooms it could be quite a nice place. As it is? Don't stay here.

The fitness center and outdoor area are, by the way, absolutely baller.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Carmel, CA
Reviewed 10 March 2009

The rooms at this hotel have recently been renovated, and are quite nice. The location across from the San Diego Airport is very convenient, and it is a 10-minute ride to downtown, the Gaslamp District, and to the Convention Center. Also a great location if you are visiting the Navy facilities on Pt. Loma. I have stayed at the hotel a number of times over the past 12 months, and generally have had a very positive experience. The exercise room is terrific based on the facilities found in most hotels. There has, however, been a distinct downgrade in the level of service provided. Specifically, the restaurant no longer offers menu service for breakfast - it is buffet only. The buffet is probably better than average, but it is getting a bit pricey at $21.00 per person. We gave up the convenience and went elsewhere for the ability to order off the menu, and at least attempt to stay within our per diem limits. The hotel has also discontinued the newspaper service, so no more USA Today at the door when you get up. To be fair, free copies of newspapers are made available in the lobby area, but you are out of luck if you like to have a cup of coffee and browse he paper in your pajamas in the morning. I also did not receive a bill under my door at the end of my stay. This may be because it would not fit under the door with the new carpet in the room, or it may be an additional cutback in service. It was unclear to me which. Parking is also getting pricey - $22.00 per day to park your rental (or personal) car. The soundproofing is good. Aircraft departing were not terribly noticeable.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Carmelcpl
SSDHotelManagement, Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this review, 14 March 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the comments regarding your recent stay with us. We have made some changes recently to support our green initiatives as well as other changes based on guest feedback, and are always looking for ways to improve our service offerings. We appreciate your continued loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Kindest regards,
AZ
Reviewed 25 February 2009

Stayed here for a work conference. I was in one tower, my co-worker in the other. We immediately compared rooms.

The good: I enjoyed my room in the Bay Tower. Huge comfy bed. The bed was at a strange angle in the room, but it worked. Adequate bathroom. (loved the full size hairdryer.. didnt get to use it tho, since I brought my own) The shampoo/conditioner and body lotion was nice and stocked daily. The balcony to the marina was beautiful.. but bird poop on the railings and chair (i did not sit outside) The airport noise did not bother me at all. Work conference had sessions posted in both towers... so lots of walking (short 3-4 min walk) was nice. In between the two towers was an amazing little deli/store called Papa Nani's. Lifesaver to those on a budget! They offered breakfast, lunch (hot and cold sandwiches) and assortment of salads in addition to sodas/juices/beer, snacks and small toiletry items. Wonderful and friendly staff. They even popped popcorn in their microwave for you to take back to your room! The hotel shuttles were fast and friendly drivers. And the main lobby (marina tower) had a pleasant smell that reminded me of Hollister store - but not overkill. There was even lemonade available when we checked in .

The bad: No fridge and no microwave. There was a mini-bar but I did not dare touch anything inside (outrageous prices) There were no vending machines but an overpriced gift shop was available. The solution? PapaNani's (see above)

The Ugly: The internet in the business center went down on my final night (friday.) I could not check airport schedules or email family or work. Front desk responded by saying, "IT went home at 5, they'll be back monday morning." So basically internet down all weekend? The front desk staff did offer to check on airport schedule for me. And there was a computer in lobby which allowed for guests to print their airline boarding passes.

Overall, my stay was a great one. I did not have access to a car, but you can take free shuttle to airport to board the city bus #992 (i recommend a $5 all day pass) and make as many transfers as you like to get to where you want to go. The concierge was helpful in helping me get to Coronado for the afternoon. I did not eat at hotel.. since conference provided some meals..but for snacks I definitely recommend Papa Nani's deli. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business