“a vacation saved”

The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina
Ranked #112 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 July 2010

I am sending this email to recoginize one of your employees. This employee saved my family's summer vacation. Originally our plans were to stay at a La Quinta Inn in Oceanside and go to Legoland. Upon arriving in Oceanside, we realized our view was the rooftop to a Gentlemen's Club. On top of that we were misquoted on the ticket prices we were going to pick up at the front desk. This threw our plans off because we like many families are on a budget. We ended up changing our plans to come to the bay area. My in laws are live abords in Harbor Island. They offered us to stay there, but with a growing family, the space is a little tight. So we headed south to hotel circle. They were booked! The Ramada had a few rooms left but they were smoking rooms. My husband is a smoker so we thought we could handle it. We spent the day at the beach and went to the Ramanda room late evening. That was the most disgusting experience of my life. Not only was the stench overwhelming but we found rodent feces in the bedsheets. At this point we were totally exhaused and headed back to the boat to try and get some sleep. As were were pullling into the harbor we decided to check availability and pricing at your Sheraton. That is when Melissa Hernandez waited on me!! Not only did she find my family a room its was also affordable. Our vacation was saved. We were prepared to come home the next day. We had a great room, beautiful view, and great service. Employees like Melissa will keep your customers coming back. If there were any negatives, I would say parking charges are excessive, and the girl who checked us out was not too polite. Other than that, Melissa Hernandez was a Godsend to my family and we will return to the Sheraton!

Sincerely

Joanne Greco

Reviewed 23 July 2010

We arrived at the hotel our room wasn't ready and it was 2 hours past the projected check in time when we finally got to our room. The front desk staff had a line several deep and only one person at the desk. She was extremely pleasant and did her best to service everyone. The phones were ringing off the hook and she was trying to focus on each customer, management should really consider getting more help during peak times checking in and out.

Our room was dissappointing at best, the view was great, we were on the harbor side, this however was the only highlight of our room. We went out to enjoy the balcony and had only one chair. We called twice before someone arrived with a chair, it was dirty and we had to clean it before we could use it. Our room had several non working outlets. Traveling with 2 other young woman all with cell phones, laptops and other electronics to charge, this was a huge problem in our room. I called twice before an Engineer came to our room, he said he had to get a tool, left and never returned. At that point we gave up. You have to question the decision not to offer wireless internet. For a hotel not to offer free Wi-Fi or at least offer it as an amenity for a fee is sad. This was a business trip and it made it very difficult to work as well as my 2 travel partners. The wire service was for one computer only and a huge inconvenience to be trapped at the desk.

The beds were comfortable and very clean. The housekeeping staff on the 4th floor were very pleasant and worked hard to service the rooms.

We love San Diego and will be back but not at this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2010

Everything was great! The Bay towers view was beautiful and peaceful. The bed and pillows were unbelievably comfortable... so comfortable my boyfriend and I ordered room service so we can could stay in bed a little longer and eat out on the balcony. We were also surprised by a $50 credit to use for food or beverages. Absolutely No complaints about our trip.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2010

The room was nice, the bed was comfortable and the view was beautiful. I was however, disappointed that there was no refridgerator in the room except the extremely expensive mini bar filled with candybars. I have a 2 year old and had to turn the mini bar around to keep him out of it. Also, I did not appreciate having to pay $22.00 a day for the priviledge of parking my vehicle there. I never saw anything in the advertising advising me of this fee when I was searching for a hotel in San Diego.

Reviewed 22 July 2010

I usually am accustomed to staying at the W Hotel or Westin hotels but this time I wanted to close to Sea World and since I've stayed here before I thought I'd try this hotel again with my young children. I have to say I was happy that I got automatically upgraded to the 9th floor since I'm an SPG Gold Cardmember because we got the downtown SD view with the bridge in the background. Beautiful! I was happy with the SPACIOUS room that we got with the king size bed. I love the extra seating blocks and couch! Great size for a standard (or maybe deluxe?) room! I took my girls (ages 5 and 3) to the other pool since it was bigger but I was very disappointed with the lack of pool service. I had to go up to the bar to order and then flag the waitress down to check out. She redeemed herself since she caught a mistake on the bill and discounted the beer I had since it was happy hour. We went back to the bay tower pool and soaked in the jacuzzi at sunset but the emergency switch kept beeping and beeping...we had to leave. Then, we literally walked 500 feet to the waterfront and watched the sunset cast its color on downtown SD....beautiful! Great location...especially if you like to take long walks with beautiful views! All in all, it was a nice hotel experience with the front desk, valet, and housekeeping service.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
SheratonSdHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2010

Dear longbeachmama:
How lovely that you spent time with your family at Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina ! It is always good to read that our guests had a good experience and we are thrilled that you particularly enjoyed our picturesque setting and the beautiful view of th San Diego skyline from your balcony. We thank you for taking the time to post a review and look forward to your return visit. Kind regards. SheratonSDCustomerService

Reviewed 21 July 2010

Upon checking in, I requested to have the two rooms we reserved side by side. The front desk was able to accommodate us and placed us in the Marina Tower. It was a 5 minute walk (or 1 minute drive) from the Bay Tower (the main tower) but we didn't mind since the walk was right next to the water and was very refreshing. Plus, I hear the rooms in the Marina Tower are bigger than those in the Bay Tower. The rooms were quiet, a good size, and beds were very comfortable, but the couches in both rooms need to be replaced or reupholstered because they were obviously worn out. The bathrooms need updating and a good cleaning! The views were beautiful, especially when sitting out on the balcony. Only 2 things to complain about...parking is expensive, $22/day and there was a $100 hold for each room placed on my card for 48hrs after checking out that I wasn't informed about when I checked in or checked out. All in all, needs some TLC but hotel staff was polite and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
SheratonSdHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2010

Dear ladymagz:
Thank you so much for posting your review, we truly appreciate it. So glad that you enjoyed our relaxing and beautiful surroundings and we hope you will come visit us again in the near future.
Kind regards. SheratonSDCustomerService

Reviewed 21 July 2010

Overall my stay at the hotel was very good, however, any attempts for shopping, dinner or any other activities through the concierge was dismal at best. I received better service from the valets and the shuttle drivers on activities that should have been handled by the concierge.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business

Dear BigT2:
We appreciate you letting us know that your stay at Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina was a good experience and that a number of staff members were very helpful. We will make sure that our chief concierge is aware of the challenges you faced at the concierge desk. Thank you so much for your feedback. Kind regards. SheratonSDCustomerService