“Great getaway in the heart of San Diego”

The Horton Grand Hotel
Ranked #65 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Lebanon, Ohio
“Great getaway in the heart of San Diego”
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

I loved my stay at this hotel. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms pleasant and inviting, and the staff friendly and helpful. It is easy an easy walk to many places, and the staff will get you a cab right away if needed. They also were great at setting up a wake-up call and cab for the early morning trip to the airport. If you're looking for a unique hotel in the Gaslamp Quarter, this is a great hotel.

A note on the Gaslamp District: it does get noisy, especially on Friday and Saturday nights, and it goes late. It's a popular night spot, and that's why people stay there. If you're a light sleeper, you may want to get a hotel elsewhere.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Eileen B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Mt. Laurel, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Arrived in San Diego around 11 am (from the East Coast). I had requested an early room knowing my flight times when I made the room reservation - sure enough, my room was ready when I checked in!! This hotel is definitely a nice place for couples - it is smaller hotel (only 4 floors) but is located right in the GasLamp area - close to the Convention Center (two blocks and a train track cross away). The hotel has an open yet closed in Courtyard where we had our Business Conferences' Lunches / Dinners (catered by an outside restaurant). There are No Gym Facilities on the property (though the front desk did tell me about a gym close by or the YMCA). ( I think having a fitness room is good idea - hint hint). My room was nice - King size bed and desk in the room. The bathroom was a little small - but functional -realizing this is a "Boutique" Hotel I was ok with that. The fireplace in the room is a major PLUS! It was so relaxing to come back to my room after dinner - turn on the gas fireplace and fall asleep (fireplace has a timer on it). Parking was $25 per day (they list that on their website) and the Valet was very prompt. My room faced 4th Ave, and was loud at times (till 2am), it didn't bother me, but some of my colleagues state their rooms facing the courtyard or on the other side of the hotel were quite, Except for the rooms facing the alley which received truck deliveries very early in the morning - they told me they were awoken every morning by the trucks. All in all, the hotel is well kept, the staff was very pleasant, and the location is Excellent. There was no restaurant on site so, as I mentioned above, the food for our lunches and the occasional business after-meeting gathering was catered from the outside. - Not a problem because there are PLENTY of restaurants very close by. Nice place - could use a fitness center (convert one of the rooms?).

Room Tip: Request a room facing the courtyard if you want quite. If you want to look out your window and see...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
High Wycombe, UK
Reviewed 6 January 2014

This is an amazing hotel in the heart of San Diego, right next to the Gaslamp Quarter (so no parking on site, found the best is down the road near the railway). It looks turn of last century, brick built with bay windows, and very opulently furnished. Lots of wood, fine materials etc. The reception area is to the right of the entrance, fairly compact and traditional.

However, the welcome was very much lacking, even possibly bordering on rude. No acknowledgment, made us wait until they had finished a telephone conversation with out even looking up at us, and once finished was fairly short with us, not pleasant.

As soon as we entered our room, all was forgiven. It looked amazing, with a fireplace, big bay window that overlooked the street with the main entrance, brass bathroom fittings, nice bedding, well decorated etc. Lots of storage and fairly spacious for a city centre location. Internet also worked well. One little issue though, with the bay window and being on the 3rd floor, noise. The street outside was extremely noisy at night with drunks, party goers and idiots in cars showing off. Would suggest staying round the back or in a higher floor.

The restaurant was closed when we wanted to go for breakfast the next morning. However, lots of choice nearby so don't worry. Checkout, we had the same issues as checkin, slow and no acknowledgement. They really do need to sort their staff out.

All in all, a nice play to stay and would have got 5 stars, if it wasn't for the staff on reception.

Room Tip: High room or room tucked round the back
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank DanielJW
San Diego, California
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I really enjoyed my stay. I went to the Horton Grand Hotel with some extended family while vacationing in San Diego, and enjoyed it a lot.I liked the vintage theme to the hotel. Although I've heard many people saying the hotel is "haunted" I wouldn't be scared. My room was kept clean, and was cozy and inviting. The only thing I didn't like was that, my room was facing the busy streets on a Friday. There was fire trucks, people shouting, honking, and loud music. Being awoken by the loud noises, I couldn't go back to sleep. Other then that, this place is really great. One thing that was nice was that, Sea world was only about a 15-20 minute drive. Good place for the people who like staying up late.

Room Tip: If your there for a "ghost expedition": Room 309 If your hoping for a quiet, relaxing ro...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The guy who said don't stay here must be one of those that constantly seeks to find the worst in everything!! This hotel is what it is - a beautifully unusual Victorian hotel not an "uptown modern contemporary bland minimalist same as every other hotel" type hotel. It has history, character and the hotel staff always happy to help. Another great feature is that it's right in the heart of downtown San Diego and best of all the historical Gas lamp district and we found it so easy to get everywhere!!

I love plush luxury hotels of which I have stayed in many over the years and all over the world but the Horton Grande was a breath of fresh air, it was original and just lovely & the price was right! We would certainly stay again without a doubt!! We had an inside room that had a balcony & overlooked the charming courtyard and glass roofed entrance.

By the way we didn't meet any ghosts but there were plenty of good spirits in the bar!!

Room Tip: Inside rooms overlooking courtyard have balconies and quiet. They are not huge rooms but you are usu...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
San Clemente, California, United States
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We have been here twice and there is nothing not to like .. the sevice is really good and the staff are friendly . The location is right in the heart of the gas lamp district so you are a few minutes walk from so many good places to eat , drink and dance . Both the rooms and suites are clean and well appointed and the hotel is very attractive . I can't. Imagine a couple not enjoying this place but I'm not sure a large would the gas lamp is great area for partying and shopping but I don't find it to be kid friendly . I love the fact I can find Starbucks , great clubs and great shopping all a short walk away . It's like Portland or frisco but with better weather

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Kelly C
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

We had a great stay during our trip to San Diego for my boyfriend's birthday. After reading the reviews online, we specifically requested an interior room and the staff was very acommodating and pleasant. We even decided to extend our stay and they were able to make the arrangements very quickly. I loved the decor and found it to be really clean and cozy. Great convenient location just a short walk away from mostly everything, even Balboa Park (a bit of a hike but doable). Will definitely stay here again next time we visit.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple