“Great Centric Location”

The Horton Grand Hotel
Ranked #71 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Nice Hotel and great location for exploring the surroundings. The room was clean and quiet. Beautiful building with a great lobby and entrance with lots of natural light. I loved the old reconstructed design! I was expecting the hotel to be a more 'classy' and the personal to be better trained.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Horton Grand Hotel was our choice for an afternoon wedding, and we and our guests couldn't stop raving about the event. The staff helping us prepare for the event (specifically Teresa and Teri) were wonderful, punctual, accommodating and helpful. The courtyard is beautiful, private and clean. We were provided with a room that was very updated, clean and comfortable. Our guests who stayed at the hotel were very pleased too. And that is to say nothing about the location! Right in the heart of San Diego Downtown and Gas Lamp district and within walking distance to the Seaport Village, Convention Center, Embarcadero.

We will definitely recommend this place to our friends and relatives.

1  Thank Lima S
JoAnna K, Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are so honored to have been part of your wedding ceremony and celebration. We look forward to having you back on your first anniversary.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I just completed my first visit to San Diego and the Horton Grand proved a perfect home base--although it does have some limitations that won't appeal to everybody.

The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of the trendy Gaslamp District which is easy walking distance from several key locations, including Petco Park, The Convention Center, trolley transportation and a water taxi to Coronado. This makes the location hard to beat. It also means you're on a busy street. My room faced out onto the main drag and there was no doubt that it came with plenty of street noise, especially late on Friday and Saturday when the neighborhood is hopping with late night traffic. To me, that was a small price to pay for location and the small balcony overlooking the street, but I could see how it could be a deal-breaker for some.

I stayed in the King room. It was small, but comfortable and included a wardrobe for storage. Two bed tables that functioned as mini-dressers, a good-sized desk, a gas fireplace and a flat screen TV on the wall. It wasn't as big as the room you'd find at a larger chain hotel, but had twice the character, and the Victorian Style wasn't too garish. The bathroom was also small, but perfectly comfortable. If you prefer McHotels, this isn't for you, but if you want a little character while saving a few bucks, it's going to be tough to beat.

On the lobby level, there's a nice bar with a first-rate whiskey selection and more-than-adequate wine and bear lists. Warning--it has live music on weekends and rooms over the bar get a lot of noise bleeding in until midnight or so. If that bugs you, request a room away from the bar or skip this hotel all together.

I didn't have much need for staff or concierge service, but found check in and out to be very efficient and thought everybody I did deal with was friendly and colorful--much less corporate than what I experience at chain hotels--rather than generic, if efficient, servants trained out of a corporate handbook, I found the Horton's staff to be friendly, a little folksy and eager to engage in real conversations.

Overall, the potential pitfalls didn't bug me a bit and next time I go to San Diego, the Horton Grand will be the first place I look to book a room.

Room Tip: If you need a really quiet room, request something that doesn't face the street and isn't ov...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ceguruGrandHaven_MI

Thank you for your comments. We are so glad that you enjoyed our hotel, and the staff took care of you. We hope that we will be your choice again the next time you return to San Diego.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed here when in SD to catch a few games at nearby PETCO Park. Walking distance to the park was awesome! This hotel looks nice in the lobby, definitely an old time feel to it, which looks cool but simply isn't practical. Our room had very thin walls and 15ft ceilings, so noise was an issue, especially being on a street next to a nightclub. Once again this place looks nice, but I just found it annoying that the only working outlet for my phone charger was in the bathroom. Not a horrible place, just average.

1  Thank Tim M

Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your feedback about your stay with us at the Horton Grand. We are excited to share, that as part of our renovation process we are including adding additional technology plugs and ports in our guest rooms, as well as our public spaces. We hope that you will continue to choose Horton Grand as we continue our upgrades throughout the hotel.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

This was my first trip to San Diego and this will be my landing spot every time I go there. We went to the Tigers/Padres series and the location is awesome! It's a very nice walk to the Midway, whale tours, and to the pier. It's right off of 4th street and in the heart of the Gaslamp District. We knew that staying right in the heartland of the main district always means it'll be nosier. We always trade off for the convenience but make sure we ask the staff for the quiet rooms (since they can't read our minds). You don't stay on Bourbon Street in New Orleans and complain about noise so why do it in the Gaslamp? It's the same energy. Everything is withing walking distance, you are minutes from Petco Park, and it's very safe here. You'll pay the same price for the Ramada Inn on 5th and it's not nearly the same quality as the Horton. The staff here was awesome and very, very helpful. My room was small but very nice and very clean! You have to understand this is a Victorian Hotel so it's not going to have as many modern amenities. All of us loved it here. They don't have a continental breakfast or anything like that but we were out so late that it wouldn't have done us a bit of good anyway. Plus, there are soooo many awesome restaurants in the area to try that we wouldn't have taken advantage of it anyway. Part of traveling is trying the local food and we all did about five pounds of that!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank darryl370

Thank you so much for your review of the Horton Grand Hotel. We are thrilled that you and your group had such a great time at our hotel. We know there are lots of places that you can choose to stay at in the Gaslamp Quarter, and are glad that you have chosen to make us your home base in San Diego. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

The Horton Grand has a lot going for it. Cute boutique/antique hotel with a bed and breakfast feel, decently-appointed rooms and a fantastic location in the Gaslamp district. We stayed here 2 nights on a short San Diego vacation prior to a conference I was attending.

So, why the 2...

Night 1: After flying in from Michigan, touring all day, and being exhausted, we tried to settle in for a nice sleep. Unfortunately, the entertaining piano player in the bar (just below our room) was so loud that we could hear every lyric and note distinctly. No way could we sleep with that noise, even with ear plugs in. After an hour of frustrating tossing, I called the front desk and we packed up and were moved to what was (supposed to be) a quieter part of the hotel; a "free" upgrade to a Suite.

Night 2: Out touring all day and evening, again came back to the hotel ready to flop into bed, exhausted. Unfortunately, the alleyway directly outside our balcony was hosting a street party! D.J. jamming, bass thumping, partygoers screaming. (Are you kidding me!?). SO frustrating after the first night's noisy experience to yet again have to call the front desk and move rooms. Packed up again and were moved to another room across the hall that was at least quiet enough to sleep (with ear plugs in).

Checkout: Not one of the clerks asked how our stay was. Had they asked, I would have told them that we were unhappy and left it at that. Instead, we have this TripAdvisor review. In addition, we were charged for the Suite price, even though we were told it was a "free" upgrade. When I noted the error, the annoyed clerk revised the bill. There was no apology, no warmth, no concern for the customer's experience.

Bottom line: I wanted to love this place. It had such charm, and such potential. Although the hotel staff rectified the noise and billing issues, I felt as though I was putting them out for complaining. Unfortunately our experience was poor enough to keep it off our list for the next trip to San Diego.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the main stairway, as the bar is directly below. I believe we were in 228 the first...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank imasweethot
Reviewed 17 March 2014

For someone like me, who staid at thousand of hotels, the Horton Grand is positivity different. Starting with a different looking reception, with a range of old fashion mailboxes as backdrop, and a very friendly receptionist, continuing with the elevator which had a large window to one side looking out to what is best described as a quaint, pretty, antique-shop window. The room with all old (or old looking) furniture, also different. And the bathroom with one of these tank-at-the-ceiling toilets. Quaint.

The room also had a little balcony with a couple of chairs. Nice.

The bed was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. Very good.

Wifi was fast and free (as it should be).

But, nothing is ever perfect, and this is the reasons I give this place a 4, not a 5:

1. The walls are thin and you clearly hear the guests in adjacent rooms (including the person who did a lot of walking back and forth in the room above me.)
2. The bedside lights are so bright it lights the room to daylight bright. Yes, it is good to have bright light as an option, but not as the only option.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business