“Charming hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #68 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Orlando, Florida
“Charming hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Lovely, comfortable room with charming and friendly staff in a decent location. I will never stay anywhere else when I visit San Diego.I tried several hotels in this town; hands down the best value for the modest price.

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Lilig1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Here now in room 317. It's 1:30am and my wife and I are wide awake because of the nightclub across the street. Normally I would let something like this slide, but my wife is seven months pregnant. I mean, who looks at a pregnant woman and thinks its a good idea to put her in a room across the street from a nightclub? Unreal.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
Travis H, Front Office Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for bringing this news to our attention. It is a serious concern to hear that this caused such great discomfort during your stay. We would personally like to follow up with you in regards to this matter. Travis Harper, Front Office Manager, would be the point of contact to reach out to at your convenience. Again, we sincerely apologize for the noise levels you experienced from the surrounding nightclub and we hope to have the pleasure of speaking with you soon.
Anaheim, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I took my girl to the Gaslamp district for her birthday, & we stayed at the Horton Grand. What a great choice. Valet parking was safe & convenient. Hotel clerk was new but well versed in the Hotel. The old century charm was apparent throughout, with recent remodel to the hallways, the place was perfectly clean. Location is great for exploring the area, even Petco field is only a short walk away, but the hotel is just off track enough to be a little quieter when the late night parties really get going. Hotel bar is really nice with 500 whiskey choices & great bartenders. We enjoyed a duo playing a bluesy/jazzy mix of all finds of well known songs with their own slant applied. The room was fantastic, although not huge. Great view from the balcony, (I recommend inside room with courtyard view, 4th floor). It even had a gas fireplace in room. The only down side is because of the age of the building, its a little noisy when the housekeeping crew starts in the morning. However the looks are perfect for the area, it is walking close to the gaslamp area, & drive close to the bay & its attractions. I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Court yard view rooms are quieter than street rooms, highest floor has high ceilings. Maybe not the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FairlaneHT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Really enjoyed my stay and was well taken care of by all of the staff. Must give Nany at the front desk a shout out though. She was very friendly and helped with all of our questions and gave spot on recommendations to a few great places.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Prata di Pordenone, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

After 7 hours of driving we arrived at this beautiful hotel at around 1600. The gaslamp district was already lively with a festival, padres game, and normal weekend activities. The valet immediately helped with my bags and offered to park the car for $30 a night. Normally this is way more than I would pay, but with the activities going on the cheapest parking I saw anywhere was $25, so it ended up being a good deal.
The man at the front desk checked us in quickly and was very friendly. The hotel is with in walking distance of all the best restaurants in San Diego. Not to mention Petco park and seaport village.
The room was cozy, but very nice. Equipped with fireplace, full bathtub, and two very comfortable queen size beds, our family was set. We stayed in a room on the second floor with a street view, noise was never an issue.
The bar off the lobby ended up being our favorite bar in gaslamp, great selection of beer, wine, whiskey, and more.
What truly makes this hotel great is the staff though. Everyone was beyond friendly, the receptionists, the valets, the bartenders, and housekeeping. My 4 yr old made the comment that he wanted to live there when we left, we will definetly be back!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I only stayed 1 night here because Hilton Bayfront and other Gaslamp hotels are so pricey. I wish I read the bad reviews before I booked the place. Hotel staff was nice, the overall appearance was pretty (love the vintage look). Our bedroom was lovely bur the bathroom is another story... pull chain toilet had a hard time flushing just my #1 or maybe I am just not used to that. I was grossed out when i found a huge, live cockroach on the floor. Then i kept killing these bugs that would come out every few minutes.. so gross. I wanted to switch rooms but was too lazy to go through the trouble. I would advise anyone to pay more money and stay elsewhere. Don't be decieved by this hotel's appearance.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
1 Thank S T
Travis H, Front Office Manager at The Horton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Thank you for sharing these particular concerns. We first want to apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused during your time with us. We take these inquiries quite seriously and will investigate any potential issue there may be. Our team does the utmost best to ensure the cleanliness and orderliness of this entire property. If you would be so kind as to contact us here at the hotel in an effort to obtain some further detail, that would be much appreciated. Travis Harper, Front Office Manager, would be your point of contact. We truly appreciate you bringing this to our attention and we look forward to hearing from you.
Lehi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

The Horton Grand Hotel is a great place to stay. The room and hotel were spotless. The staff was absolutely terrific. JoAnna and her staff were willing and able to happily help in any way that was needed. The hotel is in a safe neighborhood and is convenient to good restaurants and downtown.

The only negatives I think are $30 per day for parking seems a bit high but it is more convenient than looking for street parking. The rooms are small but traveling as a couple this was not an issue. It would also be nice if they would put a TV channel guide in the rooms but that only mattered for late night anyway.

I would highly recommend the Horton Grand and will stay there again the next time I visit San Diego. We loved this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the bar.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jeralbre
Thank you sincerely for all of your excellent feedback. We are so thrilled to hear that our staff was so accommodating during your stay. It is very rewarding for us to see these wonderful comments and use them as our motivation. In regards to the channel listing, we are already working with Housekeeping to orchestrate a plan in making that a more seamless process. We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and we'll look forward to your next visit in sunny San Diego.