“The worst place we've ever stayed at” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina

Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina
Ranked #138 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Midland, Michigan
“The worst place we've ever stayed at”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2009

We chose to stay at this motel due to its proximity to the San Diego Airport. My husband had booked the room online, and said it had gotten fairly good reviews, and since we were only going to be in the room for about 12 hours, a budget motel should be o.k.

Upon first glance inside the room, everything looked 'o.k.' When I went to check out the bathroom, however, that's when my heart sank a bit. There was a bunch of hair stuck in the bathtub train, clearly visible, leading me to believe the room hadn't been cleaned. There was a yellow stain on the bath towel. I also was slightly horrified that there was a window at eye level in the bathroom, facing directly into the motel walkway. Now, this window was "frosted", but I could clearly see people when they would walk by, so I'm sure they could at least see me to some degree--very uncomfortable.

There were stains on the walls; the carpet looked like it had not been vacuumed in a decade, and worst of all, when I went to go to bed, there were a bunch of dark hairs on the sheets. I made my husband go down to the front desk to ask for new sheets. He offered to move us to another room, and apologized, but our two kids were already asleep in bed, so we just got new sheets.

The shower took forever to get hot water (like 10 minutes), so I had to just settle for washing with a washcloth that night. In the morning, I felt so dirty from being in that bed/room that I did decide to take a shower and take my chances.

I was never so happy to check out of that place. My husband asked for a refund in the morning, but the manager said he couldn't do that. The only pro to this place is that it's close to the airport. Unless you are really financially strapped and don't mind dirty disgusting rooms , I would not recommend staying at this motel. I felt dirty just being in that room, and kept praying that I didn't contract any diseases from being there.

• Liked — leaving it
  • Disliked — the disgusting bathroom and sheets
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank jweldy
vagabondinnpl, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, 29 January 2009
Im sorry that you had a bad experience here with us. This is the first time I hear about this matter. I will see in to the matter and make sure it does not happen again. Here at the Vagabond Inn we strive to please all of our guests. I would like to hear from you and get more details.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2008

This place is excellent, they really go the extra mile as soon as you walk in the door. Rooms are clean and mattress real comfortable.
The evening clerk even printed my boarding passes for free. I also had free wi-fi. Nice heated pool. Over all I had a great time, Cant wait to come back.

• Liked — Cookies in the evening
  • Disliked — Could not stay longer
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
vagabondinnpl, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, 23 September 2008
Thank you so much for your positive review of our hotel and your experience. We always enjoy hearing comments from our guests to let us know how we are doing. We really appreciate the beautiful pictures you posted of our lobby and pool.
va
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2008

This place looked a little sketchy and had few amenities, but when you arrive at 2:30 AM (late flight) and leave at 6:30 AM for some diving (with nearby shop - Dive California) then it serves its purpose. A small but clean room to crash in for a few hours. Very close to the airport which is nice when your plane arrives after the rental car companies close!

I honestly thought they were joking about the breakfast. If you enjoy standing while you eat a muffin next to the front desk, then this is the place for you.

The once positive though was, as I mentioned, the room was clean. Oh and the price was very affordable.

Stayed June 2008
Sandiego, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, 9 August 2008
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel, hope that your give us another opportunity to serve you and for your stay to be longer so you can really enjoy all of our ammenities, that include Free Continental breakfast, fresh baked cookie snack time, free 24 hour fresh coffe in the lobby, free wi-fi and our heated pool. And to also have use of our in room ammenities that include free use of a refrigerator and microwave , in room coffe maker and free cable and HBO.
Los Angleses
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2008

I have to say that this Hotel was one of the Best Hotels that me and my family have ever stayed at. The price was reasonable for the weekend and for all of the extra perks that it had to offer. We asked for directions to Sea World and the morning clerk was so helpful and even printed out our directions for us. It made our weekend so relaxing. They even gave us a coupon for a Free Appetizer at this little Mexican Restaurant down the street which we gladly accepted and used. My kids loved the cookies at 3:00pm and the pool was nice and refreshing.

The only thing I wish was the rooms were a little bigger, with us being a family of 4, you need the extra space.

• Liked — The Pool
  • Disliked — The size of the room
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sandiego, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, 14 June 2008
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. We always love to hear how we are doing. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I will let the hotel staff know how great they are doing. One of the greatest comments we get is on our cookie hour. Most guest look forward to having a refreshment when they check-in and we enjoy giving it to you.

Fort Pierce, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2008

While this hotel definitely has some strenghs, there are some significant disadvantages. Weighing one against the other, we cannot recommend this property.

First, the positives. The front desk crew is terrific. Want recommendations for restaurants? No problem. Need the wireless computer system rebooted? Sure thing. Looking for directions to the Gaslamp District? Thats' easy. These guys are friendly and courteous and go the extra mile. They are easily the best thing the Vagabond has going for it.

The location is also a plus. It's in Point Loma, right near the fancy boats and within walking distance of a number of good restaurants, including the iconic Point Loma Seafood, which is right next door. The hotel is a short drive from Ocean Beach, our favorite in SD, and an easy drive to Old Town and the Gaslamp District. It's not on a touristy street -- right across from the hotel is a bar advertising "semi-live music," whatever that is -- but the location is good.

This is not a new hotel at all, but it is kept very clean. The bed was firm but not a pillow-top. Okay,but nothing fancy. The rooms have wireless access. Our refirigerator was decently sized and, unlike those in most tourist hotels, was icy cold.

Now, the problems. It all starts and ends with the thin walls that let all sorts of sounds in. Others have complained about the sounds of airplanes and traffic. We had an inside room, so we did not suffer those problems. Instead, our room was next to the housekeeping room. We were awakened one day by the maid's cart rattling by...and again...and again. The next day my wife, trying to sleep late, was awakened by staff members standing outside the housekeeping room holding a three-way discussion with no concern that people might be in their rooms on either side. We could hear traffic out on the street, but it was not much of a bother. For people on the other side of the building, it might be a problem.

The hotel has a heated pool that seems clean. We didn't use it because the weather was cool, but we would have been willing to.

We paid about $100 a night on a holiday weekend, which is not bad considering SD's inflated prices.

In all, this place has some advantages to recommend it, but the noise and noisy staff are disadvantages that, in our opinion, outweigh them.

• Liked — Front desk staff
  • Disliked — noise
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tomcat33333
Sandiego, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, 3 June 2008
First I would like to thank you for your wonderful comments on our hotel. I would like to personally apologize for the noise caused by our housekeeping staff. I assure you it is not a regular occurance and I have taken action to ensure that the staff will be more courteous in the future. We do appreciate your business and hope that you will return so that we can give you a better quality of stay. We appreciate you letting us know what we need to work on and as a hotel that strives for customer service we take all comments as a way to improve. I hope that you will give use a chance to make your next stay with us a pleasant one.
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2008

My wife and I had never traveled to San Diego before, so we wanted a place close to the downtown area that also offered some walking opportunities and wasn' t too expensive. We trusted in Trip Advisor ratings, and took a chance on the Vagabond Inn despite some negative reviews.

The Vagabond Inn is a little run down but generally well kept. We stayed for three days in mid-January seeking the sun and warmth (we're from Wisconsin).

We had a 2Q N/S room on the second level overlooking the outdoor poor. The entire time we stayed we never saw anyone in the pool, but is was kept heated and well maintained. The price we paid for the off-season was reasonable.

Housekeeping was pretty good, and the rooms were clean. It was surprising quiet with the windows closed and drapes pulled.
Almost all the rooms overlook the parking lot of a seafood store with a small cafe. Store hours were from 9 to 6, but delivery trucks and garbage trucks started early, so don't expect to sleep past 7AM. Evenings were generally quiet.

The location and Inn was just what we wanted. We could walk to Shelter Island, enjoyed seeing the private and commercial boats, and were within easy walking distance of some interesting and affordable cafe's, deli's and restaurants. (When you check in ask for dining recommendations, we received a complementary discount at Miguels, which was very good.)

Additionally, the downtown area with many attractions, as well as the ocean, were only minutes away by car.

If you want to experience a real ocean side harbor experience I would highly recommend the Point Loma area. We were able to see two aircraft carriers, several large naval ships, military aircraft, and two large cruise ships, all in the same harbor on the same day.

However, the downside is that is was a very noisy area, not far from the flight path of the airport's one runway, and with lots of activity on the road, in the harbor, and in the skies.

Our three days there was a great experience, but we were happy to move north for the rest of the triip to the Pacific Beach area. )See my review for the Pacific Shores Inn).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WisconsinRidgewalker
Sandiego, General Manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, 12 March 2008
Thank you so much for posting a review of our hotel. We appreciate your patronage and your insight. Our second floor rooms do have a great view and are our most sought after rooms. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to serve you again in the future.
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2007

I stayed at the Vagabond Inn for four nights during November.The place is situated right next to Point Loma,an excellent location for fishermen who are heading out on the long range fleet,which I was. Taxi fare was eight dollars from the airport. The staff were polite and very helpful,which,after a trip of sixteen hours from the UK was appreciated. The room I stayed in was both clean and comfortable.I would say that the place is very good value for money and I will definatly use this hotel next time I'm in San Diego.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — telephone didn't work too well
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank broadbill
Sandiego, general manager at Vagabond Inn - San Diego Airport Marina, responded to this review, 2 January 2008
Thank you so much for your compliments and review. The fishing wharf is so close that we often have travelor's going out on fishing trips and we enjoy hearing your stories when you come in. We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you again.