“Wonderful hotel but constant music all night and day”
Review of The Westgate Hotel

The Westgate Hotel
Ranked #47 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The fasciities are lovely beautiful room well kept, lovely staff very very friendly and helpful. Lovely large pool with nice fresh water machine , although it topped up when it ran out.
But all night this piano and saxophone jaz back ground music from the lobby. I was on the 10 th floor and when I called my mother she could hear it. Then more music by the pool. I would rather provide my own music but just want peace and quiet. Why this music all night. Even when I called down it was still playing. Shame as the hotel is so nice.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't play this jaz music all night it disturbs your rest
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Not only is Shraddha Carlin an excellent concierge, she would be the reason I would return to The Westgate Hotel in San Diego, California! Do not get me wrong, The Westgate Hotel is beautiful and inviting. The decor, French antiques with warm rich colors on the walls. AND, Shraddha was ever present when calling on the telephone (from the east coast) or walking up to her desk in the lobby at the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We were in town for business but we felt like we were on vacation. The staff were always welcoming, smiling and at the ready. Without our asking, they upgraded our room and we had a beautiful room with water views and a view of the Coronado bridge, not to mention the bright lights of the city at night. We stepped into a relaxing room at night with turndown service and soft music playing on the radio. At lunch we would bring food up to the room, open the double doors to the balcony and it would be like having a picnic. The infinity pool was very inviting and a very comfortable temperature, hot tub spacious. The lobby was beautiful. Overall a 5-star feel. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I booked this hotel because I heard it had an old world elegance to it. We decided to stay during the week in order to avoid crowds and the possibility of not getting the pampered service we so desired. For the most part, this hotel did offer just that.

Valet and Bell hop: I know there might have been some comments regarding the cost of Valet. It is $32.00 per day, however, that is pretty standard in this area and with this type of hotel. It didn't bother me even though I took my car out once during my 3 days. It was the valet service that I was not that thrilled about The valet met us at the door and was polite and courteous upon our arrival. All our doors were opened and we were met with a smile. We turned over our keys and waited for someone to get our luggage for us... Four men were there, but no one made a move for the trunk (my mother is 83 years old and I have a bad back, and we had one kid with us, but we ended up getting our own luggage out of the trunk and placing it on the luggage cart that was sitting right by the car with a bell hop holding it for us while we loaded it). This really didn't sit well with me, however, I did give him a decent tip in hopes for better service along the way. Like I said, the cost for valet was not the issue, it was the lack of service on that day, when picked up our car, and upon departure. We took the car out once and the doors were opened but no one said anything or closed our door or anything. Usually in my experience someone brings us water and asks us if we need directions, etc... Upon departure was the same thing. Where was the love we experienced when we arrived?

Interior Lobby/ Front Desk: The interior lobby was gorgeous. It was definitely elegant and had an older European flare to it. I loved the staircase and all the artwork. The Front Desk staff was friendly and accommodating. The hotel was older, but tastefully decorated. The elevators were quite efficient and well kept. The stroll to our room was beautiful.

Room: We stayed in a room with two double beds (would have preferred queen). The bell hop arrived with our bags and put them up for us. He gave us a run down of the hotel room and pointed out the slot where the safe usually sits. He did not know why the safe was not there. I did use the hotel safes for my jewelry and passports when I travel, so when I reserved the room I asked if there was a safe and was told there was. Well, there was a spot for a safe, but no safe. So I had to leave my items out. The room was large and although the view was not the best, it was nice to be able to look outside, lean over the rail and see the happenings in down town. The balcony was not a sitting balcony. The room had a large desk/table with chair and two larger chairs and a marble top round table. There was enough room to push the table to the middle of the room, slide the chairs up to the table, and still walk around with ease. I love that the bathroom had a the sink area in a separate room with a chair to sit down and put on makeup or fix your hair. They even had an older make up mirror with lights. The closets were large and the bathroom had a square tub. This building is older, so we expected the noisy toilets and not-so-hot water and because we expected it, it wasn't an issue for us. The issue was that the tub was dirty and had hairs in it from the previous occupant. The other issue was that during our stay, and no matter how many times I told them there was 3 of us, we only received robes, turn down service, shampoo, towels, wash cloths, even the chocolate was only for ONE person. See Maid Service section. The carpets were clean, we did not have an extra blanket and Mom always gets cold. The bedspread was way too heavy for her to use it. The door handles were hard to turn in our room and Mom was locked in the bathroom area once. I even had a hard time as well. The handles were loose but didn't catch every time you turned the handle.

Maid Service: This was the worst of the hotel stay for us. Like I said they couldn't seem to get it right. I told them every day that there were three of us and had to constantly have to ask for towels or soap, etc... the bath tub was dirty upon arrival with hairs from the previous occupant. There was one bit of paper on the toilet spindle and we had to change it right away. During turndown only ONE bed was turned down and only one tiny chocolate was left. During our stay we only had turndown once and that was our last night. Oh, and we got in late that last night to find that we were again, given only ONE washcloth for THREE people. I was tired so ended up using the hand towel for a wash cloth.

ROOM SERVICE: Great service, I loved the extra mile they went to accommodate us. The wait staff was so friendly and the food was great. Everything was fresh and very tasty. The pick up time for the cart, after we called in for pick up, wasn't until later on the next day. But it was in the hall, so that was okay I guess. Just wasn't thrilled to see it there.

SUMMARY: Rooms were large and nice, very comfortable, but bad door knobs. Hotel Front staff and room service staff were INCREDIBLY kind and accommodating. Maid service, for lack of a better word, was horrible and the communication between how many occupants were in the room was non-existant. Hotel was beautiful. LOCATION WAS GREAT!!! I forgot to mention, walking distance from the Westgate plaza mall (Horton's Plaza). What a life saver that was. Valet was so-so.

RECOMMENDATION:

Upper room but not on the side with the trolley (View isn't great). Make sure they know about the towels and how many people are in your room (although I did this every night and it didn't matter). Stop in for the music in their lounge, it is great! Have fun, the hotel is in a great location, the rooms are comfortable. CVS Pharmacy is walking distance and has lysol wipes if your tub is dirty. I may actually give this hotel one more shot. I did like everything except valet service and maid service (or lack thereof). Price was competitive for the area.

Room Tip: High Floor; Plaza View
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Omiyoshibaba
Reviewed 11 July 2014

A charming hotel centrally located with good facilities and a reasonable to good level of service. Reception staff particularly helpful, Room was clean, tidy and spacious with all room facilities you would expect. A grand hotel if a little dated, but would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My family and I reserved 2 rooms and at check in I was snubbed by the front desk employee when I inquired about rooms on the higher levels. I was told the hotel was completely booked before I could even finish my request. He was extremely arrogant and unfriendly. When we checked into our rooms, we noticed immediately the shower and the toilet was flooded with urine and feces. Thankfully and surprisingly we were able to move to another room. This was also after the front desk employee told me the hotel was completely booked.

There's no self park and valet is $32/night. After check out, we dropped off the luggage in my car. The valet attendant walked us to my parked car and I noticed the lights on the dashboard were on and the car was in park. My brand new Prius was left running overnight! When I confronted the valet manager he just gave me a blank stare and asked me what I wanted him to do.

Worst service and experience from beginning to end! This is NOT a four star hotel.

Good luck requesting a room with a better view and be careful when you leave your car with the valet!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank B1759DJcindyb
TheWestgateHotel, General Manager at The Westgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Cindy B,
Thank you for posting your recent experience here at The Westgate Hotel. Clearly your experience appears very far from the hospitality and service we strive to deliver to every guest every day. I personally apologize to you for this.

Our hotel did experience an issue with plumbing systems during your recent stay; we only became aware of this around the time of your arrival. A problem affected certain rooms within the tower. We did relocate you to a higher floor away from this issue as well as other guests who were unfortunately affected. As with plumbing in our houses or apartments these issues can occur. Having resolved this situation, we continue to maintain an aggressive preventive maintenance program helping to avoid these occurrences whenever possible.

The Westgate Hotel continues to enrich our guests experience with many wonderful new amenities and guest comfort enhancements such as our new lap pool and exercise deck to every room receiving a new bedding package including plush mattress and down filled pillows. I hope you would give the hotel another opportunity to be of service when staying in San Diego; to experience the hotel as so many of our guests have. Creating wonderful memories and relaxing getaways.

Richard Cox

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Quaint old fashioned hotel, but all the upgrades you need for a lovely relaxing stay. Massive rooms, flat screen tv. Wi- Fi Tea and coffee. Beautiful bathroom, shower etc etc. fine soaps and shampoos.
A little touch ice in the bucket already in your room. Good bar for early aperitifs, nice restaurant some might find a little expensive.
Breakfast a la carte no buffet
Nice windows and views

The only downside and nothing to do with the hotel is the need for the a Emergency services to use their sirens at 3oc in the morning when there is no traffic about.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
TheWestgateHotel, General Manager at The Westgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear COYMB,

Thank you very much for writing a review of our hotel. I am very glad you enjoyed your recent stay! The Plaza Bar has been voted one of San Diego’s finest piano lounges. Currently we feature great local talent in the lounge every Friday, Saturday and Monday. In addition, Thursday’s through the summer the Westgate is featuring a poolside Jazz series; another great way to enjoy those aperitifs. We look forward to your next visit.

Richard Cox