“Decent Place near Bay”

Ranked #186 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Barrie, Ontario
“Decent Place near Bay”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Marina Inn is in Little Italy and close to many restaurants and near the bay. Service is alright, not helpful with tours or transport. Breakfast is alright. The rooms are outdated and moderately clean but the ceilings are thin.

Room Tip: Try getting on the second floor to avoid noise from above.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Twentynine Palms, California
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My wife and I had a bit of a disaster in a booking and were left in a lurch. We managed a two night booking at the Motel. The room was appointed with minimum fittings and two queen beds, no tea or coffee but they provided breakfast. Might I add the staff were helpful, and curteous. The bathrooms have had a makeover but they are spray tiles and chips etc were evident. Honestly for the price we were happy, we had a good sleep, it was walking distance to little Italy and also other key tourist items we wanted to see. It allowed us to make arrangements to catch up with our friends where our prior booking fell short. If you are left short this place will accomodate you.

Room Tip: Its a budget motel with a reasonable breakfast.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Nothing big about this place, it's small, cozy,and has a very fast check in process. Very close to the airport. Cabs arrive here fairly quickly and the cost is very cheap for the transportation. I would gladly recommend this to anyone

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 April 2014

They charged a homeless family $19.00 for three hand towels, they said that they cant get clean. We have an 18 month little boy that likes to clean with wash clothes. This is one hotel that we will never stay at again. In fact we went all day without towels because the maid forgot all about us,she said 20 minutes and it turned into 5 hours that aint right.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank ChristyRiddle
GuestRelationsDept, General Manager at Marina Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
I want to thank you for your response, your feelings and comments are super important to us. We try to deliver a great, clean, comfortable and modern room at a reasonable price point. In order for us to continue to maintain our standards and still have great room prices we have to keep costs down. When you damaged your towels we can not give those to other guests nor can we throw them away with out charging you. It's only fair to charge you for your action then to pass on these costs to the next guests. I hope you understand we are trying to be honest and fair.
- Guest Service Manager

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I feel awkward giving a mixed review. This motel had a lot going for it.

First, the location is great if you are comfortable walking 2-6 blocks, but I was having problems with leg fatigue, and the closest food I found was 2-1/2 blocks away, up a slight hill.

The rooms were clean and nice, and the staff was great. Monica is perhaps the most helpful front desk person I've ever met. I arrived early, and she stored my bags for me while I went to lunch. When I checked into my room, I found that it had only one nightstand, and it was on the wrong side of the bed for me {there is a reason why this is important}. Monica graciously moved me to a newly remodeled room. As I was unpacking, I came to the conclusion that this room was designed by someone who had never stayed in a motel before ! There was no available counter space. One nightstand was taken by the ice bucket, and the other by the coffee maker and there was no shelf in the bathroom. I had to rest my toiletries on the back of the toilet tank. The curtains were full length and completely covered the A/C unit. I needed to rig the curtains with a pillow to get any airflow in the room. You really can't leave the window open because of the jet noise from the nearby airport. I don't know what the other rooms were like, but I wouldn't want to stay in either of the rooms I saw in the future. This would probably be a great place for many people, but it didn't work for me.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first.
Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The rooms are very nice and tidy. Bed and furniture look brand new. Close to Gaslamp Quarter, Seaport Village, and airport. The staff were friendly as well! I made a last minute booking on Expedia and was still able to get a non-smoking room on a busy weekend. This place is great and efficient!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. This hotel is conveniently located to downtown, the airport, and all of San Diego's attractions. The San Diego trolley is only two blocks away. Save your gas. Leave the car at the hotel and take the trolley to the Gaslamp District for great restaurants, to the Padres game or Chargers game, or to Tijuana, Mexico. From this hotel you don't need your car to get to very many places. For this low budget hotel, the conveniences makes this a great stay. We will definitely come back to stay at the Marina Inn in future trips to San Diego.

• Stayed March 2014