“Room with a Roach”

Ranked #189 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Phoenix, Arizona
“Room with a Roach”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

LISTEN AND LISTEN GOOD. There are only two kinds of people who stay at the Marina Inn and Suites: those who don't know any better and those who've been tricked by sites like Travelocity. I fell in the latter category.

This past Fourth of July weekend, my husband and I booked a two-night stay at a hotel through Travelocity's mystery deals for our San Diego trip. The way this feature works is that you book first, then find out where you're going. And we poor, unfortunate souls ended up being sent to the Marina Inn and Suites. Once the name was revealed, we quickly did research and realized that there were many negative remarks from consumers. Since our payment of $356.68 was non-refundable, our trip was sealed.

Even though we were uncomfortable with the place upon arrival, we tried to make the best of it until we encountered a ROACH making a journey across the carpet! I have the pictures to prove it! We wanted to leave immediately. We were beyond disgusted because we know where there's one roach, there are many. And roaches say a lot about a place. In our many travels, we have never paid money to share a room with such vile creatures. We reported the roach incident to the front desk and they came to spray Boric acid in the room because we wanted to have peace of mind. Now, whatever was in that bottle looked more like soap and water!!!

The only good thing about staying at this MOTEL was knowing that our day was packed with activities and we didn't have to stay in it for long. This place is nothing but false advertisement. Their pictures are a lie from He**. It's nothing like an Inn or a Suite. I know some Yelpers claim, "you get what you paid for" but I expect better even if I only handed over a dollar. I won't bore you with more negative details but in a nutshell, the place is a dump. It's dirty and old. I took a shower with sandals on and never let my feet touch the carpet. You can visibly see the smear of dirt on the curtains. And the room did not come with an iron nor an ironing board. Yeh, yeh, yeh, parking is free but it's so limited. And yes, your pets stay for $20 a night and the location is somewhat prime, but it's not worth your dime nor your time.

Upon check out, we had to take the time to shake down our clothes and belongings to make sure we weren't taking any uninvited guests back home with us. Though we did some cool activities while in San Diego, the roach incident is unforgettable. Moving forward, I will not use Travelocity for future travels cause I can't believe they sent us there! Surely they do their research! Talk about their slogan, "go and smell the roses." It was more like, "go and smell the roaches."

My husband and I are by no means hotel snobs, but after this experience we won't stay anywhere unless it's four-stars and up. We will pay the extra buck or two to have a clean, comfortable stay.

--------------------------------------------------­-------------
NOTE: This message is for any response from Marina's personnel. Unless you intend to make this right, do not attempt to write a reply. From reading responses to other posts, I find them empty and tiresome.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MK B
GuestRelationsDept, Public Relations Manager at Marina Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

First of all I would like to take this moment to thank you for writing your review. We appreciate any and all opportunity for growth within our company and hospitality service.

I would like to also take this time to address some of your concerns. As an extra precaution for our guests we pay $400.00 a month for a pest control service who comes twice a month. We call it our preventative services to ensure that we do not nor will we ever have bug problems at our location. However, it is summer and small insects seek cool places too. My concern is that, though you claim to have pictures you never showed us. Despite all this we tried our best to help ease your mind, which included getting a hold of our pest control vendor and asking for a bottle of Boric Acid to be sprayed immediately into your room.

If you further had an issue with the way we tried to help you and with the product we used, why did you then not ask to switch rooms? When we provided a welcome call, as we do all of our guests, there was no mention of dirty curtains, no mention of a desire to change rooms, or any other comments that even gave us a hint that you were unhappy about your stay.

I want to thank you for mentioning positives about our hotel, such as our $20 pet policy and our location. We too think San Diego is a wonderful and convenient place to vacation with so many great attractions nearby by like Seawolrd, The San Diego Zoo, and The Star of India.

Lastly, I am also a little upset about your “NOTE” regarding our reviews. It is my duty as Public Relations Manager to respond to every, single, review written about the hotels that I work for. I personally take the time to read each review and respond to the compliments and concerns addressed. I find that your comment that you find my responses “empty and tiresome” upsetting because, just like the Marina Inn and Suites, I do everything I can to make guests happy before and after they stay.

Again, I thank you for taking the time to voice your opinion.

Regards,
Public Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Fullerton, California
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The location is excellent. Near the marina, two blocks from Little Italy and walking distance to the Gaslamp District. Free parking is a bonus! Older property but is very well maintained. I stayed on the 2nd story and the floor did creak so I don't know if the people staying below were disturbed or not. Refrigerators are only in some rooms so be sure to specify you need/want this when making your reservations. Staff was very accommodating. Reminds me of a sqeaky clean Super 8.

Room Tip: If you want a refrigerator in your room request this when making your reservation.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

We really appreciate the time you took out of your day to write this review.

Thank you for mentioning our great location. We are located in the heart of Downtown which has access to so many wonderful things. If you bring your kids they would love Sea World or the San Diego Zoo. If you are traveling by yourself we have so many wonderful restaurants near by, or if you are traveling with a group of friends there are so many bars and clubs to enjoy at our Gaslamp district.

We really appreciate your stay with us and your review. We look forward to hopefully seeing you soon.

In the highest regards,
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Wonderful and relaxing place to get away for a few days. Staff was great, again. Room is comfortable, clean and surprisingly low noise level. Not much of a view to the back but the front window view is OK. Easy to get to waterfront & Little Italy. Price was very reasonable for being so close to the bay.

Room Tip: Parking is limited.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
GuestRelationsDept, Public Relations Manager at Marina Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear AS,

First, we would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to come to Trip Advisor and write a review about our Marina Inn and Suites location. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay so much and appreciate that you recognize the hard work, effort and wonderful customer service that is provided by our staff.
We pride ourselves on providing the best care possible and providing our guests with everything they need to make their stay as easy as possible. Thank you so much for commenting on our location, we too feel that our beautiful area near the bay with easy access to exciting sites like Little Italy is a key factor in providing the best stay possible.
How nice is it get up, eat our complementary breakfast, spend the day at Sea World a short drive away, and then return to the hotel for maybe another dip in the pool or just to relax in our clean and quite rooms? Again, thank you so much for your review of our hotel, we always enjoy hearing about our guests experiences.

Topeka, Kansas
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I booked a night because of the loction and proximity to Hornblower's Harbor cruise. Less than 5 minute walk. Also short walking distance to Little Italy and waterfront sites. Our room (216) was clean and fresh the bed was firm and to be honest the only thing I would say one could complain about was the shower stall was somewhat worn but definitely not unclean. The front desk staff was friendly and offered suggestions on local sites. For the price and location you can't find a better place to stay in San Diego. One drawback is limited parking. I'd suggest checking in as early as possible to get a parking spot

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Mr. MarkSolie,

Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to write a review about our Marina Inn and Suites hotel. We are very happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate the effort you took in noticing how clean our housekeeping staff keep the rooms at all times and for noticing how friendly and informative our customer service is.
We are very proud of our location and the beautiful sites it has to offer as well as easy proximity to so many wonderful activities that San Diego provides: Hornblower’s Harbor Cruise, SeaWorld, tour the Star of India and much, much more.
We try our best to be fair with all of our guests but most of all we try to provide the best stay that we can. Again, we’d like to thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about our hotel and hope to have you and your family back soon.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Horrible!!! I'd give it a negative 5 stars but this website made me put at least 1 star to be able to publish my comment. The place smelled awful (like someone died), linens were dirty and management refused to do anything to correct the problem, or to compensate me for not being able to stay in a room that smelled like a combo between death and sewage.

Yeah, I wasn't in the room for 5 minutes, asked to checkout and get a refund, and after 2 weeks of haggling with management (and not having calls returned) they inform me that the owner will not refund my money.

Would NOT recommend this chain to anyone, and OBTW, they're affiliated with Vagabond Inn in Hotel Circle so you may want to steer clear of that one too. The owner is a real tool!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy H
Dear Ms. Kathy H,

First of all we wish to thank you, for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review about our hotel. We welcome any and all feedback because it allows us to grow and evolve as a company and as a customer care provider.
One of our recent endeavors to grow was the remodeling and upgrade of about seven rooms at our Marina Inn and Suites property. At the time of your stay we were right in the midst of the construction which unfortunately resulted in our hotel not meeting our usual standards.
Also, during our effort to upgrade our facility and family style rooms we also: hired a housekeeping supervisor, had to replace our longtime manager, and instigated a bigger offering for our complementary breakfast.
These changes of staff, construction, and the expansion of breakfast were part of a transitional period for our hotel. This does not excuse linens being dirty but hopefully sheds some light on why our hotel was not at its best during this transformation period.
Once again, thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We ask that if you are ever in San Diego again that you reconsider our hotel and what we have to offer.

Indio, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Never thought I'd a hotel so close and well priced for the location. Only stayed one night but would stay again. The only negative was the small parking but good thing I own a Prius C! Other than that the place was decent.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
New Zeland
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Enjoyed our stay here. On a busy road but then many Hotels are. Across the road and at the waterfront. 5 mins walk to hop on/off trolley tours of the city and also the floating museum.

In the flight path of the incoming planes landing in San Diego but we found that very entertaining as one lands or departs every 90 seconds due to being a one runway airfield.

Was clean tidy, breakfast provided. Good value for money

Room Tip: Stayed here two nights. Just drove in off the road and got the last room. was great middle of the ro...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends