“great people and value, noisy location”

Marina Inn and Suites
Ranked #195 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
monterey, california
“great people and value, noisy location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2007

Needing a place to stay the night before our 10 day cruise, at first I thought my wife made a mistake booking us in this hotel...as we approached, I saw it is located on a busy corner, two blocks from the freeway, one block from the train tracks, across the street from a gas station...., in other words, lots of noise....

But when we checked in, the staff was very helpful, placed us in the quietest room, which provided us with basic accomodations, which were fine, and we could walk three blocks to the cruise terminal to catch our ship. Best of all, they gave us a room rate that included parking for the 10 days we would be cruising. When we checked other hotels and the cost of public parking for the 10 day cruise, we figured we saved about $75. It was worth it.

Stayed April 2007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2007

I would not stay here again.

The noise of the planes, trains, traffic, etc did not bother me, as I have stayed at other motels in this location before and was aware of that.

The problems: at first they couldn't find the reservation. Then they tell you you can come at noon, then when you do, it's a huge deal because the room isn't ready and I shouldn' have come until 2pm. Then the safe they automatically charge you for was already locked, so the clerk gave me the "master" code (that made me want to leave things in there!!). Staff`are not friendly or helpful. Every day something was wrong - not enough towels, no facecloths, forgetting a pillowcase etc. no cups. There are no "do not disturb" signs, so the maid is banging on the door every 10 minutes in the morning - I'nm not sure what the rush was as not one day I was there did she get it right - don't expect to ever sleep late here! There were also numerous bugs in the room. Towels were full of holes. No bath-tub - only shower. No fridge, no coffee, etc.

This place is not the cheapest motel around, but it should be. Next time I go low-budget, I would stay somewhere else, You can get a lot more services for the same price in other motels.

• Liked — convenience to San Diego Trolley station
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — stay somewhere else
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Travuler

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Santa Ana, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2006

Did not exactly get what we wanted or expected out of this hotel... The only ocean view we got from our room was if we were standing and leaning over the bed to look out the high window... The window panels in the bathroom were not cut to fit the frame and allowed a constant draft into the room... not to mention the noise from the traffic and construction on the street... The towels we received were worn - literally had holes in them - and never received replacements that we requested... and the parking was extremely limited...

• Disliked — The amenities were unsatisfactory - since when do you give guests towels that have holes in them because they have been used and worn?
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple
Taipei
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2006

The hotel is right by the rail raod (I can see the track thru my bath room window), and by the pacific hiway. I can hear trians horning around 1200AM (last train), and around 5 to 6 am(first tain) in the morning. also the Trucks and cars passing by. I can hardly sleep during my 3 nite stay.

The parking space is not enough for all hotel guests. I was forced to park on the street one night when i retrun the hotel late.

When i asked the front desk to return my parking fees upon check out (I was planning to park my car there for two days and fly to another city), the hotel staff claimed that she did not charge me any parking although she was supposed to do so (by yelling at me). I asked the staff to print me the detailed receipts and I pointed out there is a 30 dollar something Misc charges with a foot note saying PARKING, the staff even tried to fool me by saying it is the TAX (hey, I am foreign but not stupid). I was forced to act very rudely to get money back.

This is the worst hotel that i have ever stayed. I seriously sugget that one should stay somewhere else if you are considering this place.

• Liked — NA
  • Disliked — staff
  • Tips/Secrets — NEVER stay here !!!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank paulyangtw
Las Vegas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2006

The Inn is located close to the airport, practically attached to railroad tracks, and next to a busy intersection. During our stay, we were entertained by loud planes late into the night, and very early in the morning. Trains passed by all night, reminiscent of the “Blues Brothers.” The car traffic from the airport noise was just as bad.

This place is old, a relic from the "Spanish Inquisition." Our room was small and crammed. The children had to squeeze between walls and furniture to get around. The rooms are unkept. Our shower and bathroom door didn’t shut completely. Also, we could hear the other room’s showers when they were being used. When this much water was being used, it sounded like heavy construction equipment…very loud!! The A.C. made a lot of noise, but only provided cool air if you pressed your face up to the grill.

They have placed a tiny safe into each room to which there is an additional $2.50 charge added on your bill, whether you use it or not. They claim it is a “valuable service” for you, but anyone could just walk out with this shoe box.

They also charge you ahead of time $2.50 for two bottles of water that you are “going to drink,” although we didn’t even have bottles in our room.

There is free parking, if you can find one. There are only 17 tiny parking spaces for 29 rooms. One guest told me he had to walk nearly a mile from the motel to find parking. You would be crammed in with an ultra compact car the way they have the spaces marked.

This fine establishment also offers a continental breakfast. A hazy glass jug of O.J., and some slabs of Wal-Mart bread still in their plastic container. The Spartans ate better!

• Liked — food close by
  • Disliked — noise (airport, milit. base, train & traffic), no parking, crammed & unkept room, contin. breakfast, they charge for safe and water ahead of time
  • Tips/Secrets — This place costs too much for what it's worth
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank Seyo
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2006

Don't come here for the following reasons

1. The carpet is so filthy. I think it's never been vacuumed for a long time.
2. We caught 2 bedbugs
3. Some of the people in the area are suspicious looking. (maybe drug dealers, etc). One
person checked-in for 1 week and said he's a constant occupant.
4. Restroom is dirty and have no exhaust fan.
5. The windows are not secured. anybody can just slide it and you'll get raped.

I will never ever check in that motel again and I hope other people will be warned by my post about this motel.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2006

All I have to say is that with in two minutes of walking into the room which was badly in need of repair and a good cleaing I walked right back out! I requested a refund and was denied and decided I would rather loose the $70 then to chance getting scabies from this place...so I left without a refund and went a stones throw away to the ComfortInn and paied only $8 more and was given a beautiful room that was clean and in good repair! Travlers beware! Stay away from this place at all costs is is not worth the money you save!

• Stayed March 2006