“Beyond Excellence”

Ranked #199 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Montana
“Beyond Excellence”
Reviewed 17 March 2011

I met Terry Sobkowiak (?) and see told me about some great places to visit that were close since I did not have a vehicle. Even told me about a scrap booking store close by! Service was excellence....needed some extra towels and they were brought right up! Little chilly for pool but I enjoyed it! The grounds are beautiful and very clean! Thanks to Barbara too! Called to say what a great time I had and she was very polite! Next time I come, guest told me to stay at the Kona Kai (?). I guess it is a sister hotel? I enjoyed this so much......it is worth the try there too!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 17 March 2011

On behalf of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., Western Region, I would like to commend the staff of Town and Country for their excellent service during our 2011 Leadership Conference from March 10th - 13th. In particular, I would to especially commend Katherine Richardson who tirelessly attended to every detail - solving our challenges and problems - at all times. Without fail, I knew that I could always rely upon her. I would also like to commend the following for their outstanding service:

Jonathan Myrha
Sara Ramirez
Lauren Petersen

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2011

My daughter and I went away for a "girls" weekend. We had specific plans and places to visit. Town and Country was the PERFECT location for all our plans. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful right from the start. The room was a great size and very clean and neat. I think there was a convention of some sort going on, so it was a bit loud with people laughing and playing in the pools at night, but we were on vacation and it lent to the fun atmosphere of our trip. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
So Cal
Reviewed 11 March 2011

I attended the same 3200-person convention someone else mentioned below. While a lot of our people stayed at nearby hotels, most of us were here and everyone attended sessions and meals at the T&C. With one exception, every interaction I had with staff was excellent - the service was generally what I would expect at a much more luxurious (and expensive) place.

It's an older property, made up of many one and two storey buildings sprawling around a large campus, filled with pools, gardens and courtyards, plus a couple newer towers at the back. The usual amenities in the rooms, several restaurants, gift shops, day spa etc. A nice big convention center unobtrusively on one side.

Pros:
- The afore-mentioned service. Every staff member was friendly and pro-actively helpful, whether I was in the coffee shop or taking a short cut and getting myself lost in the bowels of the laundry. :-)
- Everything was spotlessly clean, everything worked, and everything looked nice (no mean feat in an older property). No broken blinds, crumbling sills, spotty showers or threadbare linens to be found - full marks to housekeeping & maintenance.
- We ate all our meals in the convention center, and for having to feed 3200 in about an hour per meal (plated meals each time), I was extremely impressed. (Except for breakfast. Oh well.) Fast, quick, friendly and even tasty, too!
- Well-located and easy to find. And just a 5minute walk across a footbridge over the river to a mall, should you want more dining options etc.
- A lot of space, if you're booking for a group. Nice convention center, and a host of smaller ballrooms and meeting rooms, as well. Many of them have nice views to gardens, pools, etc.
- Staff will drive you around in a golf cart if you need it.
- Character! Peace and quiet. I took some free time one afternoon and just wandered around the gardens and courtyards. I'd much rather stay somewhere like this than a high-rise block that could be anywhere.

Cons:
- Well, for those who don't appreciate that character...It is older, which in many areas means "smaller". I think I was in the "Traditional Accommodations" - very small room. (We referred to it as the "European section".) If you need your space, or have more than two in a room, ask for one of the towers. (That said, I found the room charming.)
- Some people might not like the size of the resort - it's very spread out, and can be hard to find your way around.
- No free wifi (per my roommate).
- Parking was $10/day

Issues:
- Any 3200-person group will have them. One of our rooms was given away - we were told the previous guests had decided to extend their stay. Our couple was offered a "parlor" (the sitting/dining area of a suite - it's a separate connecting room, and wasn't in use) and rollaway beds. While it worked out for them, I was shocked the hotel allowed the previous guests to stay on like that, knowing the property was fully booked out.

That issue aside, I was really impressed. I'm keeping it on my list for my next San Diego trip.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 March 2011

We stayed at the Town & Country in San Diego Feb 11 - 19 - partly for business, partly for mini vacation. The hotel itself reminds me of the Kellerman's place on "Dirty Dancing" however, Rez, the bartender is AWESOME. Definitely have his chocolate martini - it's his specialty.

Reviewed 4 March 2011

ConDor Convention was held at the Town and Country February 25-27, 2011. During the course of the event, there was heavy rain causing some flooding in our Merchans Room. Katherine Richards and her team did a great job in cleaning up before the room was due to open to our membership. Katherine went above and beyond to the point where she carried a mat across the hotel complex to cover a power cord that couldn't be taped town due to the damp carpet. I would work with her any time!

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 4 March 2011

Our conference was 3200 people strong and the hotel accommodated our group without a hitch!
The food was fair but the service was excellent, especially to the people with special diets.
The staff was cordial and nice at every turn.
I would recommend this hotel.
I defintely