“Last Minute Weekend with Girlfriend”

Town and Country San Diego
Ranked #182 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I was looking for a hotel in the center of the Gaslamp, Torrey Pines State Park, Coronado and other attractions all while on a budget. I ended up at the Town and Country and loved it. Me and my girlfriend spent the days doing fun, young stuff and would come home to a quiet hotel room. It was perfect. I would recommend it to anyone since it is pretty much in the center of many attractions, economical and quiet. By the way, the bed was sooooo comfortable. We slept like babies!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the tower room and it was great.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you for booking our hotel for your visit with your girlfriend. We’re so glad it was centralized to everything you wanted to do in the city, as well as quiet and comfortable. We appreciate your posting your review.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

I attended the above convention and enjoyed the facility. Very big and hard to find everything, but I managed. I am handicapped and use a scooter, which is needed greatly for anyone aged. Many of my friends were exhausted walking the facility.

I shared the room with another car guy friend and we were pleasantly surprised to see I got what I ordered...two beds.....and a roll in ADA shower. Perfect room, very clean and well supplied. Also had an electric door opener both inside and key operated from the outside. It aided greatly in entry and exit of the room.

The hotel staff were nice, but not well trained. They were polite, but in many cases could not answer questions. I realized from the beginning, that if you took the time and ''READ'' the Convention printouts completely, 99% of the questions were answered before one asked. I had fun, and hope others did also.

Room Tip: My ADA room #1105 in the tower was perfect.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us for your convention. We’re so pleased that everything went well for you and the ADA facilities were to your satisfaction. We do have a few new staff members for the summer months who are very anxious to learn, but are not as well-informed as the many other staff members that have been here for years. Our management team averages about 23 years of service with our facility! We’re so pleased you had fun while staying here for your convention.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Granted there were three conventions at the hotel, but we reserved a room in the Royal Palms Tower and none were available, plus we had to wait more than an hour and a half past check-in time, in order to get a room. Our room in the smaller tower was small, but nicelt appointed, however, it had a leaking toilet in the bathroom. The wax seal needed replacing. We called the front desk around 9:30 in the evening and were placed on hold for 20 minutes. Then at 10:30, a maintenance man came to unclog the sink???? (Not the problem we had called about.). We placed a towel on the floor and went to bed. The next morning, I spoke to the maid about the problem. Shortly thereafter a mainenance man came to replace the wax seal on the toilet - problem solved. Perhaps this place is too large to be able to be well-run with attention to service?

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

We do apologize for the maintenance issue you had to deal with. This should have been addressed prior to your occupying the room. If you wish to discuss this issue personally, please contact our Executive Assistant Manager. Thank you.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Stay At your own risk. This hotel caters to the unsophisticated traveller. First, if you are taller than 5 foot, showering is impossible as the showered heads are approximately 65 inches tall. Even after speaking with management, and told "Its an old building" there was nothing done and we were told all rooms were the same. Being only 5'6" I feel this is a ridiculous situation.
Then, after being locked out of our room at midnight, even though we had a l call to the manager about this issue at 5 pm, we were told there was no record of our "complaint"
Then why would be asking for new keys to our room if there was no problem? They then had the nerve to blame us for deadbolting the door. From the outside? How does a person do that? The humerous part is the lock was repaired no mention Of a deadbolt The management here passes the buck from shift to shift. For someone who works in the hotel industry, I would expect much more. The housekeepers are awful and the restaurants were obviously made to cater to a captive audience because the food is equivalent to a high school cafeteria. I would suggest anyone stay at any of the 10 other hotels in hotel circle over this outdated, chinsy, overpriced "resort"

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Moey60
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

We are in the midst of a 21 month refurnishing of the hotel, which includes raising the shower heads in some of the rooms where they are lower than they should be. We apologize for this inconvenience and also for the issue with your deadbolt. This should have been handled immediately without delay and we regret that this was not taken care of in the timely manner in which it should have. Thank you for providing us with your feedback.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Arrived right at check-in time only to be told that my room wouldn't be ready for another hour and a half! Are you kidding me? I'd been in the car for 6 hours with 3 kids. Was told they had several late checkouts that day (bummer, but not my problem).

Was told we could kill time at the pool. So after changing myself and 3 kids in my car(!) we headed to the pool. I asked if I needed a room key for the pool gate only to find out that the pool is open to the public. What??? Hence there were no chairs or towels available.

I called housekeeping @ 9:00 PM for extra bedding. Despite my polite follow-up calls, I was finally awakened at 11:30 PM, with that bedding. Thanks.

When the coffee shop finally opened at 7:00 AM, the baristas realized there was no coffee in the coffee makers. Um...?

I really am not that hard to please, I knew we weren't booking the Four Seasons. But disappointed that the hotel had all the makings of a great place (location, beautiful grounds, spacious) but the staff just couldn't get their act together. Too bad.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SeibH
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

We thank you for your feedback on your stay with us. FYI, our pools are NOT open to the public, so I’m not sure why you were told this. They are strictly for hotel guests. I would like to apologize to you for the bedding being delivered to your room so late in the evening and the delay in having the coffee on the next morning. As you mentioned, this is just common practice and not something that should have even been an issue for you to deal with, and we apologize.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

It was a corvette convention and although nothing major happened I was very disappointed. The staff was nice but trained I am not sure. I was left without towels one day, they ran out then housekeeping went home. A friend through his mushy soap away and they did not replace. The maid would ask me if I wanted her to dust and vacuumed. If one article is left on the bed they can't make it or touch it.

It has nice grounds great location, lots of services and the pools are open until 10 they say but we heard people until 11 one night so they are flexible. The staff is not happy and when they can't get what they need to do the job it makes it harder. So much potential but seriously how does the only coffee shop run out of milk at 8 in the morning. The staff did not seem to know a quick way to fix it even though there are 4 other places on the property that prepare food.

If you are staying there stay in the tower that has been redone for nicest rooms. Tower one has largest rooms you may want to make sure you are not in front of elevator or pool since it is noisy. The ground level cottages are surrounded with lovely rose gardens they have large patios out front. They are nice especially if you have kids. Other than that a high room in the center tower I recommend. The queen room with table and sofa is like a suite. I liked it very much, the decor was fairly nice.

They charged 60 dollars for convention banquet dinner. That was really one screw up after another. They forget the salad, then we get that but no dressing, then rolls but no butter. Ok but when the prime rib comes and it is not 6 inches x 4 plus Very thin like a piece of fatty overlooked roast beef ontop of not very mashed patatoes.

I don't generally write reviews but they can do better for sure this is a very well run convention center with the food and rooms not seeming very important.

What was good room service, friendly staff, nice room but not clean, martini in trellis bar, pools, grounds lovely, lounging areas are nice as well. I would not go here again unless cost forced me to use them or they change the management.

Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Steffeny
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

We are saddened to hear that you felt your stay was a disappointment. For the most part, we have heard good things about the convention you attended. The issues you addressed are completely unsatisfactory and we apologize for the housekeeping issues, as well as the banquet issues and both will be addressed at management level and are taken very seriously. I do appreciate that you also took the time to let us know about the good things with the hotel as well.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

My wife attended a conference at this hotel...stayed for four nights. I reserved her a suite as a surprise to allow her a little more room and an extra bathroom as she likes to have co-workers and friends drop by. Check in was a disaster. The process was done with a touch screen computer at the desk, and when my wife (who is not the most computer literate person) went to the "next" screen without checking a small box, the process cancelled and started over. My wife asked the male desk clerk, "What happened". He rolled his eyes as far back as they would go, let out his air, and said, "Well, what happened is you didn't follow my instructions, and you have to start over. This time, listen to what I tell you." He was so rude, sarcastic and intense that my wife started to cry. (It had already been a long day). I guess even this jerk had a conscience, or maybe it was because people started to turn to stare, but he then said, "Let me do it", and she was given her key and sent on her way. I called her a few hours later to ask how her room was, expecting a big thank you. "It's nice" she said. "That's it?" I said. Well it turns out that the guy who berated her about making a mistake, had himself made a mistake and had not given her the key to the interconnecting parlor room, and she didn't know she had a suite. When she called the next day to compalin to management, she was told that I had made a mistake and booked the two rooms (suite) as two reservations, so the desk clerk was not to blame. My wife told the manager that she still had the printout of the reservation which clearly showed only one reservation, and "1 one bedroom, one parlor suite, with two bathrooms" printed on the reservation. The manager then changed the subject. When my wife asked to speak with the general manager, she was told that the GM "was not accepting calls" What? Don't try to email in a complaint or comment...there are no email addresses on their website, only a phone number. Calls to upper management as suggested by the person who responds to these reviews go to voicemail, and are not returned. A person in our group happened to be sitting in the lobby reading, waiting for someone the following day, and heard a number of confrontations at the desk over lost reservations, where the staff was rude to guests.The front desk crew needs some definite retraining!

Other than that, the stay was OK, but the hotel had two conventions going at the same time...ours and a large Corvette Restoration group. This is a conference venue with an attached convention center, but they seemed understaffed and overwhelmed. This is our third stay here in the past 10 or so years, and prior to this trip, we had no problems. Our rooms, in the main tower, were in pretty good shape, with new tv's, and were clean, although some in our group had to switch rooms that smelled of mold & mildew. We ate at the mall, except for a few snacks at the hotel. The pools were clean and well maintained.

This is not a hotel I would stay at while on a vacation or for a getaway, but as far as a convention hotel, it gets the job done. The hotel circle area where it is located is an odd area, kind of out of the way, but there is a trolley stop. I much prefer to stay down by the Seaport Village/Downtown area. Don't expect a Four Seasons and you'll be OK.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank TravelingTGS
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Our Executive Assistant Manager spoke with your wife personally while she was staying here with us and did think that she had addressed the situation to your wife’s satisfaction. She would love to talk to you as well and has asked that you contact her at your earliest convenience. Thank you.