“Convention Perfection”

Ranked #187 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
San Diego, California
“Convention Perfection”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

While the facilities are a bit on the older side all visible aspects of the property, grounds, buildings have been maintained quite well. The landscaping is beautiful! Our room was impeccable! Service was first class and excellent attention paid to details both small and large. I must admit we were very skeptical before our arrival based on other reviews. We would definitely stay here again and definitely recommend this facility to others planning conferences or simply visiting this area. THANK YOU for a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed July 2014
barbaraw387, Town and Country at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for your very pleasant review. We are glad you completely enjoyed everything and recommend our facility to others. We do hope to have your convention back with us again and, again, thank you very much for your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (751)
  • Polish first
Sun City, Arizona
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

The grounds are very relaxing with beautiful well kept trees, flowers and benches making a colorful country setting.
The rooms are dated but clean and the bathroom is a bit small.
Room service breakfast is pricey with an omelette and potatoes at 11.95, glass of oj 3.95 and a bagel 3.95. No fridge in the room with a 2.00 other charge and a 18% service charge, plus tax. So an omelette and bagel came to 30.48.
Staff seem very nice. Wifi is 14.95 a day ... which my phone says it is connected to but would not work. Turned off the wifi and used my phone internet.
Parking is tricky if you come back late ... you may not be able to park extremely close to your door.
There are several restaurants on the property. Charlies has good drinks and bar food some what reasonably priced.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
barbaraw387, Town and Country at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thanks for posting your review about your stay with us. We're pleased you enjoyed our relaxing and beautiful grounds, clean rooms, nice staff and your food and drinks in Charlie's sports bar. Please note that refrigerators can be requested on an availability basis, complimentary, and a bellmen can be called to drive you via a golf cart from your parking spot to your guestroom should you have to park farther away than you'd prefer. Again, thanks.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I read the reviews on the resort after it was selected for me by Priceline as a mystery resort deal. I kept the reservation because it was non refundable and I was not going to pay for another place to stay. All of the negative things that were said about this resort on Tripadvisor were confirmed from the moment I made the first phone call to Lori at reservations, who told me that since I booked with Priceline I would get the lowest room category. Lori told me that she would make sure I got a room that was a better room, but when I got there it was a different story. Congratulations Town and Country Resort Hotel, you were successful in maintaining your poor reputation. Many of the complaints were about the unfriendly front desk staff and smelly rooms. To avoid dealing with the gross bungalow rooms I paid extra to upgrade to another musty outdated room. The front desk staff kept saying we are under new management......and? I had a horrible experience with a horrible hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Stephanie H
We are so very sorry for your less than satisfactory stay with us. We have 4 different room types in the hotel, which vary in size, decor, etc. We are under new management and they are in the process of making the plans to update the Town and Country inside and out.

Travellers are raving about these San Diego hotels

Green Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Property was clean, but in real need of updating. Terribly disappointed in the surprise fee of $14 per night per room for "services" we did not use. Was told it was to avoid "Nickel and diming" guests.... yet that is exactly what the charge is. Had I known about this fee, I would have booked elsewhere.
By the way, probably best to keep the wild birds out of the restaurants. And telling guests "it's part of of the restaurant" certainly doesn't make them feel any better about eating the food they're spending an arm and a leg for.

1 Thank bulldog_LC
barbaraw387, Town and Country at Town and Country San Diego, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
We do have major plans to update the hotel, both inside and out, so do appreciate your feedback. The hotel service fee includes Wi-Fi, fitness center, bottled water, hotel shuttle, calls and discounts at the spa. This isn't a new fee, it's instead of charging for each item individually, which would add up to much more. The wild birds are NOT part of the restaurant. I don't know who said this, but corrective measures will be taken to keep them out and we apologize.
Mobile
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My disappointment began when I checked in and was given a room with carpet and when I made reservation I specifically requested no carpet; however I was informed that the one room with tile was occupied. The next day we were able to move and on that evening, a spider came through the gap at the bottom of the door. We were informed that we would need to leave the room for an hour; however due the lateness of the evening, we asked that they would spray outside the door and that night. We were also given wrong information in regards to the distance to Petco park from this facility. Over the phone I was informed it was withing a two mile radius; however, it was more than a 15 minute trolley ride and also, we were waiting for our luggage from Delta and it was a massive confusion in regards to the location of our luggage.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We're sorry you didn't receive one of our guestrooms without carpet on your first night, but are glad we were able to accommodate the change on the second. I'm also sorry you had a problem with your luggage. If there's an event such as a Padres baseball game going on at Petco Park they sometimes run a direct trolley which takes much shorter; otherwise there can be stops which add to the time. I do hope that you will provide us another opportunity to serve you in the future. We have a lot of positive plans for the hotel and would love to have you see them.
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was dubious, I admit. At check-in I got the impression that the hotel was not much more than the Super 8 and other budget hotels in the same area of San Diego. The old signs and the dilapidated buildings suggested this place has seen its better days. And apparently it has. After check in, we wound around to a beat up parking lot and entered the back of a 70's ish hotel building. The dated decor and beat up ice machine we passed on the way to our rooms gave us further cause for concern. But once at the room, things improved. The room was clean and updated--except the carpet. The bathroom had ample space and good towels. There was ample closet space but no in-room safe. The built in ironing table was easy to use. The beds were comfortable and had good linens. The grounds of the hotel are very nice with beautiful gardens and flowers, several water features, and many, many places to gather and relax. The food we had at the restaurants was fine, and the service was great. This is a classic case of don't judge a book by its cover. I would have preferred a mini-fridge and an in-room safe, and they need to change out the old carpeting. The proximity to the mall proved very handy, and the light rail to the harbor was very convenient.

Room Tip: Corner room was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for giving us a chance. We are updating the hotel and you will see more positive changes and we appreciate your feedback. The safes are currently located at the front desk and we have refrigerators available upon request. Glad you enjoyed our beautiful gardens and places to relax and the service and food in the restaurants. The trolley is very convenient for getting around to various places in San Diego, including the harbor, which you did.
Rocklin, California
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We have been staying at Town and Country Resort Hotel for several years now for the Police & Fire Competition Games. Each time our stay has been very nice. The accommodations are very nice (rooms are clean and well maintained). The grounds are absolutely beautiful with roses, birds of paradise, palm trees, gazebos for relaxing - I always take pictures because the gardens are so beautiful! The food in all of the restaurants is very good. We've eaten at all of the establishments - from more formal dining to casual and breakfasts. Additionally, the resort is within walking to light rail/train transportation and a wonderful mall with shops/movie theaters/restaurants. Definitely a great location for getting around easily.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We'd love to have you share your photos with us. We appreciate your staying with us year after year for the Games and hope you did well in competition. Thanks for all your wonderful comments.