“Tranquil Setting”

Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island
Ranked #61 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Readers, I travel for business and tend to leave reviews on things that matter to me as a business traveler. So keep that in mind as you read this review! Stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights. I rate it 4/5 or very good. Could be a great location for a family vacation base of operations as well. Here is the good:

- very friendly staff at check in
- beautiful view from any direction but ask for a marina view
- in room wireless internet free and fast
- elevators are fast
- standard in room coffee, but no water expect $5 bottles
- fitness room in good condition, 2 eliptical and 3 treadmills and weights
- great nearby and outdoor options for jogging/walking right by the harbor though
- you can open room patio door to open for fresh air
- breakfast buffet is good, but spendy @ $20 ( I expense)

The not so good:

- water saver shower head, so lower water pressure. I like a good strong shower.
- bed I would rate just ok. Not new, not extraordinary or adjustable, but comfortable.
- you need to you use your key to get in and out of parking so that is a bit of a hassle
- $20+ parking a night. i expense but may be spendy for personal vacay

Room Tip: Ask for Marina view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Mac G, Manager at Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Thank you Mark W for your detailed review! We are thrilled you enjoyed our property on beautiful San Diego Bay. As you stated in your review our property caters to both the business traveler and families looking for a peaceful getaway. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to having you back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,211)

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I truly expected more from a Hilton. The room was clean and relatively large, but the advertised patio was directly above the air conditioning units rendering it noisy and unusable. The wifi was so slow that I was unable to use my tablet at all, the phone in the room did not work, and the TV randomly changed channels or failed to operate entirely. The final indignity was a padded bar tab charged to my room. When I questioned the front desk about it they could not locate the reciept and said I must have ordered something I did not recall. The location was beautiful. Too bad my stay was not.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Trexster
Mac G, Manager at Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for staying with us and providing your valuable feedback. Some of our standard rooms on the fisrt three levels overlook service areas such as A/C units. I would recommend reserving a Marina or Harbor View room your next visit versus one of our standard rooms. By doing this you are guaranteed a scenic view. I would like the chance to go over your bar bill with you should you have further questions. Feel free to contact me at 619-291-6700. Thank you again and we hope to you soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Really enjoyed our stay at Hilton Harbor Island San Diego over the Memorial Day weekend. Stayed on the bay side which has beautiful views of downtown and the bay with its boat and Navy plane/helicopter activity. We live inland from the coast and it was nice to have the sea breeze and smells. Included continental breakfast had good options and there was hot options for just an additional $5. Small pool and jacuzzi area. Shuttle available to airport and downtown.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you mrlar13 for the five star review! We are thrilled you chose to stay with us for your holiday getaway. We look forward to having you back soon. Thank you again!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Received top quality service at a great location. The staff was very friendly and the amenities were great. The location also influenced my stay at the hotel as well. Looking out your window on either side of the hotel you see the harbor with all the sailboats which adds to the beauty and overall experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Claudio I

Thank you Claudio for your five star review. we are pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including your staff interactions and the breathtaking views from our property. Thank you again and we look forward toward your next visit.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

great panoramic views,very helpful staff Gabe is the friendliest front desk manager ive ever met! breakfast was good parking was taken care of,breakfast vouchers were helpful great bar on the water def be back!san diego views are beautiful go for even # rooms so you can see the city from the water.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you 745meghanm for your five star review. We are thrilled you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we look forward toward welcoming you back. Gabe takes great pride in hospitality and he will be recognized. Thank you again!

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I've stayed at many Hiltons and this one just didn't reach the standards with service. I wasn't smiled at when I walked in the lobby and she didn't tell me where my room was or the best parking for it. Ben, the shuttle driver, was the only one who was actually helpful. He dropped us off a little passed the mall in the Gaslamp Quarter. Later that night after returning, the front desk wasn't even willing to help figure out if any pizza places were still delivering. Upon checkout, I handed my key back and he didn't even ask how my stay was.

Our rooms were the nice, typical Hilton rooms. We had a southwest view.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your feedback. Our staff prides itself on the service they provide and I can assure you that you experienced an exception during your visit. As you can see from our 2014 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence award and our satisfaction rating we truly provide exceptional service and I sincerely apologize for not proving that service to you. We greatly appreciate your feedback and will recognize Ben and use the other comments as a training tool. Thank you again and I am confident that when you return you will receive service you are accustomed to receiving and we are accustomed to providing.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

The location of this hotel is great: beautiful views of San Diego Bay and the skyline, right next to the airport, and within minutes of downtown and Point Loma / Liberty Station. The staff was courteous, accommodating, and went the extra mile every time, even without asking. The room was generally clean, but it is evident that this hotel is popular and well-used. It appeared that none of the counters had been cleaned - in the room or bathroom. The air conditioning fans worked, but the air was not cold. The wireless internet access appeared to have great reception, but I couldn't access any websites outside of Hilton.com and usatoday.com. To be fair, I didn't report these issues because we were only there for one night, and we didn't want to spend our short time managing maintenance issues. I am sure that the staff would have made every effort to resolve the issues if we'd asked.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review your experience. We enjoyed sharing your comments to our staff regarding their courteous hospitality. We have addressed the maintenance deficiencies with our engineering staff. We appreciate your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.